McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 20, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #526 of 910
That would be a very interesting comparison. I did bring this attention to The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones. As far as I know, I am the only one who has The UltimatE with 5v and 3Am rectifier, the same as ZMF Aegis(DIY Aegis has 2Am) in the US now. Hopefully, we will have some more owners to make it easy for comparison.
I am guessing the two amps sound quite a bit different - the amplifying circuits within each of these amps is wildly different, so would be interesting to hear someones opinion on this comparison.

May 20, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #527 of 910
While the Aegis relies on the cathode follower in the circuit, I think Eric goes the classic way with the triode mode.
At least on the driver side, both seem to be switched to pentode on the output side.
Which sounds better now?
I can't answer that.
One thing you should keep in mind, Eric's circuit is based on experience and knowledge.
The Aegis was, stupidly speaking, made by a non-electrical engineer, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.
The second thing, the Aegis will not be as flexible as Ultimate, even if it shares many output tubes it can't drive everything and as I read out a lot is also dependent on the rectifier.
The third thing is that the circuits are completely different, so it's impossible to say which is better in the end.
In terms of handling, Ultimate makes a better impression here with the rectifier tube alone, just plug something in and don't look back, roughly speaking.
The Zmf Aegis uses caps for cost reasons that Cayin did, so I think the DIY can be better with good caps.
The cost of the Aegis is generally higher 2 6sl7 could be used here.
sometimes break the neck while a 12AT7 costs a quarter, even the good ones if you look.
It would be interesting in general, but I think both are very good and Ultimate will be a nose ahead.

Ultimate also drives the Zmf headphones with ease.
I think that what the Aegis is doing now and is available to the general public, we have had for a long time.
My Ultimate started being built about a year ago.
It is mostly better than the stock Euforia.
If I put Kt66/88 or EL34 in the Euforia, it looks a bit different, but the ratio is not right. Again, an 80$ pairing in the Ultimate sounds better than the Euforia with stock tubes or slightly better tubes.
So we shouldn't worry too much about the new hype, we certainly have something of equal or better quality but nothing less.
The only thing that bugs me is that the Aegis uses the same output tubes, and some of what we've posted here has already spilled over into the other thread.
Prices are going to go up for some tube types now also because more and more are joining the hype train.

May 20, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #528 of 910
While the Aegis relies on the cathode follower in the circuit, I think Eric goes the classic way with the triode mode.
At least on the driver side, both seem to be switched to pentode on the output side.
Which sounds better now?
I can't answer that.
One thing you should keep in mind, Eric's circuit is based on experience and knowledge.
The Aegis was, stupidly speaking, made by a non-electrical engineer, which doesn't necessarily mean anything.
The second thing, the Aegis will not be as flexible as Ultimate, even if it shares many output tubes it can't drive everything and as I read out a lot is also dependent on the rectifier.
The third thing is that the circuits are completely different, so it's impossible to say which is better in the end.
In terms of handling, Ultimate makes a better impression here with the rectifier tube alone, just plug something in and don't look back, roughly speaking.
The Zmf Aegis uses caps for cost reasons that Cayin did, so I think the DIY can be better with good caps.
sometimes break the neck while a 12AT7 costs a quarter, even the good ones if you look.
It would be interesting in general, but I think both are very good and Ultimate will be a nose ahead.

I think that what the Aegis is doing now and is available to the general public, we have had for a long time.
If I put Kt66/88 or EL34 in the Euforia, it looks a bit different, but the ratio is not right. Again, an 80$ pairing in the Ultimate sounds better than the Euforia with stock tubes or slightly better tubes.
So we shouldn't worry too much about the new hype, we certainly have something of equal or better quality but nothing less.
The only thing that bugs me is that the Aegis uses the same output tubes, and some of what we've posted here has already spilled over into the other thread.
Prices are going to go up for some tube types now also because more and more are joining the hype train.

Yikes.

May 20, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #529 of 910
No, the Aegis has a cathode follower on the output, which is vastly different than how the Ultimate is designed in the output stage. Also, the Aegis' input is choke/inductor loaded on the plates, which again, is vastly different than the way the Ultimate input is done, which is definitely the classic resistive load way.

May 20, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #530 of 910
No, the Aegis has a cathode follower on the output, which is vastly different than how the Ultimate is designed in the output stage. Also, the Aegis' input is choke/inductor loaded on the plates, which again, is vastly different than the way the Ultimate input is done, which is definitely the classic resistive load way.

Ah okay then I have swapped the cathode follower sorry, thought it was the other way round.
I'm not an electronics engineer either, unfortunately.
Then I have no idea either,😇😇😇😇.
I'd rather concentrate on the sound and tubes, that suits me better.
@L0rdGwyn meant no offence at all.
If I hadn't had Ultimate, I might have built the diy or bought the Zmf Aegis.😉

May 20, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #531 of 910
Ah okay then I have swapped the cathode follower sorry, thought it was the other way round.
I'm not an electronics engineer either, unfortunately.
Then I have no idea either,😇😇😇😇.
I'd rather concentrate on the sound and tubes, that suits me better.
@L0rdGwyn meant no offence at all.
If I hadn't had Ultimate, I might have built the diy or bought the Zmf Aegis.😉
Well, just based on my test circuit that I have been designing and building which is currently loading the plates via gyrator, I can say just that alone makes for a vastly different sound than your typical resistive load - so, I can only imagine that the major differences between the Aegis' input and output vs the Ultimate the differences will be very apparent - which one sounds better? Which one suits you more? Well, these questions are always individually based.

May 20, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #532 of 910
Well, just based on my test circuit that I have been designing and building which is currently loading the plates via gyrator, I can say just that alone makes for a vastly different sound than your typical resistive load - so, I can only imagine that the major differences between the Aegis' input and output vs the Ultimate the differences will be very apparent - which one sounds better? Which one suits you more? Well, these questions are always individually based.

Yes, you could be right.
Personally, I can't presume to make any statements about the Aegis if I haven't heard it.
Even though I got one part technically wrong I would stick to the other part.
Which I also only look at objectively.
I already said it in the Aegis threath that I take my hat off to @L0rdGwyn.
He has certainly built something that is very good, I have no qualms about that.

Back to tubes and the topic of 6J5 tubes, what do you have in your collection?

May 20, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #533 of 910
A stupid question on the side if I want to use these on my Junior I have to plug in the 6J5 to 6SN7 socket and then put this adapter on both or?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/204505189120
The name of the adapter is a bit stupid unfortunately.

Guys I thought I make this very clear. So let me explain in plain english. German if I have to.

6BL7 or 6BX7 are to be used as power tubes in Ultimate - not drivers. You will use 6BL7 (or 6BX7) with that 6SN7(P) to 6J5 adapter and insert it into the power slots of Ultimate - the slots behind which is the power slots.

Do not use 6BX7 or 6BL7 as drivers in the 6SN7 slot because that will exceed the 2A limit of both rectifier + 6BL7. You also do not use 6BL7 or 6BX7 with the 6SN7(P) to 6J5 adapters into the 6J5 slots.

The name of the adapter is stupid but Mrs X refuse to make the adapter if we call it 6BL7(P) to 6Y6. So we call it 6SN7(P) to 6J5 but you are to use them in the 6Y6 slots.

May 20, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #534 of 910
Personally, I can't presume to make any statements about the Aegis if I haven't heard it.

That is correct. Do not make any assumption about amps you have not heard.

I on the other hand have own and heard a lot of other tube amps. They are:-

Woo Audio WA22
Glenn OTL amp
Felix Audio Elise and Euforia
La Figaro 339i
ALO Audio Studio Six
Elekit 8200
Ultrasonic Studio Odyssey
Ultrasonic Studio Oblivion

When you give an opinion about the sound when comparing 2 tube amps, it will always be subjective. When someone says they like the 'A' tube amp and others say they like the 'B' tube amp, that is their subjective opinions.

May 20, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #535 of 910
I haven't been posting as much here as I normally do because I have been very engrossed with something else. :relaxed: However I am still very much listening to music with Ultimate, like everyday. At least 5 hours a days. Changing tubes more often than I change clothes. :relaxed: Switching amps too. :relaxed:

May 20, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #536 of 910
Ref: Has the Ultimate Tube Reference Guide been updated recently? I and many others found this extremely useful and maybe Matt could place it at the beginning of this thread for reference ? I cannot remember the guy that produced the chart but many thanks from every Ultimate user.

May 20, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #537 of 910
Which sounds better now?
I can't answer that.

Very well observed, many thanks.

May 20, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #538 of 910
Ref: Has the Ultimate Tube Reference Guide been updated recently? I and many others found this extremely useful and maybe Matt could place it at the beginning of this thread for reference ? I cannot remember the guy that produced the chart but many thanks from every Ultimate user.

I was going to do that. Take over the update of this tubes and adapters reference guide and put a link on the 1st post. Just one of many things I have to do besides having breakfast this morning.

May 20, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #539 of 910
I haven't been posting as much here as I normally do because I have been very engrossed with something else. :relaxed: However I am still very much listening to music with Ultimate, like everyday. At least 5 hours a days. Changing tubes more often than I change clothes. :relaxed: Switching amps too. :relaxed:

Never mind, the Aegis people come here to look for compatible tubes.
It doesn't matter if it's quiet at times 😁.
I'm still looking for 6J5 tubes, I've seen a nice couple that are a bit unknown but were popular 😁.
I will most likely buy it next month but any other recommendations are welcome.
Regarding my question about the tube, I had actually made a mistake in thinking I thought it was a driver tube, but it is an output tube as far as 6bl7 is concerned.

@Nick Ryan if you mean Zachi's list I will send it to you via PN.

May 20, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #540 of 910
Never mind, the Aegis people come here to look for compatible tubes.
It doesn't matter if it's quiet at times 😁.
I'm still looking for 6J5 tubes, I've seen a nice couple that are a bit unknown but were popular 😁.
I will most likely buy it next month but any other recommendations are welcome.
Regarding my question about the tube, I had actually made a mistake in thinking I thought it was a driver tube, but it is an output tube as far as 6bl7 is concerned.

@Nick Ryan if you mean Zachi's list I will send it to you via PN.
Thank you Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back