McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 10, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #301 of 622
@UntilThen I have not yet bought the adapter for the 6J5 tubes from Mrs X.
I didn't realise she was going to stop this month.
I'll probably have to do that this month, it's almost important.
Then I will also think about the 6bx7.
Was that the linked one or does it have to be another one?
The linked one was 6sn7 to 6J5

Since I took a bit of time today for one or the other tube, I absolutely had to
EZ81 Sylvania,12Ax7 Tungsol and 6550 Tungsol.
And uff the whole thing pushes the Atrium to its limit, even though the 6550s are not yet used.
These tubes play holly and mucho gusto.
Funnily enough, the 12Ax7 also plays absolutely brilliantly here.
In fact, I'm only at 8 o'clock with the potentiometer, but it plays so holographically with a lot of meat, dynamics, even live recordings are totally in one.
When I have more time I will try out my weaker Tungsols driver tubes with it.
I still have a 5751 Tungsol where the whole thing could go another way.
I have to thank @David A Silva again for his 6550 tip, it was really worth its weight in gold to get a nice pair. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Care to share the tip? I am looking for some 6550. . . :grin:

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #302 of 622
I am getting the Russian FT-3 caps put in tomorrow and will pick up some super drivers according Eric. :relaxed:

Borrow the 6S45P ( also another Russian Supper tube 6S13P ? ) and adapter, other tubes as you want, and I also can let you have the 6H6P ( and another SuperTube 6H6P something ).

As long as it won't blow up my amp Eric !

May 10, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #304 of 622
@UntilThen I have not yet bought the adapter for the 6J5 tubes from Mrs X.
I didn't realise she was going to stop this month.
I'll probably have to do that this month, it's almost important.
Then I will also think about the 6bx7.
Was that the linked one or does it have to be another one?
The linked one was 6sn7 to 6J5

Since I took a bit of time today for one or the other tube, I absolutely had to
EZ81 Sylvania,12Ax7 Tungsol and 6550 Tungsol.
And uff the whole thing pushes the Atrium to its limit, even though the 6550s are not yet used.
These tubes play holly and mucho gusto.
Funnily enough, the 12Ax7 also plays absolutely brilliantly here.
In fact, I'm only at 8 o'clock with the potentiometer, but it plays so holographically with a lot of meat, dynamics, even live recordings are totally in one.
When I have more time I will try out my weaker Tungsols driver tubes with it.
I still have a 5751 Tungsol where the whole thing could go another way.
I have to thank @David A Silva again for his 6550 tip, it was really worth its weight in gold to get a nice pair. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

You are very welcome @Deleeh !👍

May 10, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #305 of 622
Tung Sol 6550 eh? Eine sehr gute Röhre und ich habe nur ein Paar. Es genügt zu sagen, dass, wenn Sie TS 6550 lieben, Sie auch GEC KT88 lieben werden. Diese Röhren klingen in Ultimate genauso gut wie in Odyssey und Odyssey ist für KT88 voreingenommen.
Yes they are Tung Sols but mine are from RCA, only Tung Sol made the 6550s also for Rca, Sylvania and General Electric.
But GE also made 6550A, don't confuse the two These are different 6550s, I have them too and they are also very good.
A bit more neutral and more bite in the bass.

I went back from TS 12Ax7 to TS 12AT7 blackplates, they are also good but a bit hotter in the treble.
12ax7 TS Longplate had more body in the instruments overall, is more powerful in the mids and not quite as hot in the highs.
With EL81, 12ax7 is exactly the right tube.
EL84 is a bit better but this combination almost goes in that direction, although EL84 is another level.

Thanks for the link, I'll save it and see what sticks this month.
I want to buy a few more EL38s from a friend who is selling them.

May 10, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #306 of 622
Care to share the tip? I am looking for some 6550. . . :grin:
Wes, RCA and GE coke bottles were made by Tung Sol
1715379412483.jpeg

May 10, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #307 of 622
This is the Ge 6550A:
https://www.thetubestore.com/ge-6550a

Prices have gone crazy for this pair I don't know why.
Other 6550s are/are supposed to be better.
Even the Russian Winged C if you can find are supposed to be better.
I bought them off my friend last year when Ultimate arrived for 200€ the pair, and another Kt66 for the same price.
Both were new and had been used for a few hours.

May 10, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #310 of 622
After 2 weeks with GEC 807s and having just heard TS 6550, I prefer GEC 807 tonally. Ymmv.

GEC 807 just sound more wholesome and full body to my ears and a super comfy tone.
I have always preferred the GEC house sound over Tung Sol for the reasons you just mentioned, and thanks for this. 807 it is. . .

May 10, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #315 of 622
Thanks for reminding me to check, and now I have a pair of VT60 on the way. I also just contacted Deyan, so things are about to get very interesting. :grin:

I like to see the 807 adapters that Deyan will make for you. Aluminium ones will match it. Now that I have 2 pairs of GEC 807, it will be worthwhile to get better adapters. :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back