McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 8, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #211 of 661
I had the blue glow on my Genalex 300b tubes too. This is the only time the 2 Destiny were photographed together. The one on the right was mine and the one on the left belongs to @Yetiman72 who still have it and love it.

IMG_2434.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #212 of 661
Couldn't wait any longer and holy crap they really are a step up , everything goes up a level or 3 . Bigger soundstage , better bass, , nicer midrange , better clarity , definitely in my top 5 and it's not even broken in yet , WOW !! GEC 807 ATS25, GEC A2900, Brimar EZ80 Black Plates. These might be staying in for a while :o2smile:

:beyersmile:

So you were amazed by these tubes too. I was when I first heard the ATS25. The VT60 from the same seller is just as amazing. Tonally it's slightly different but I can't quite articulate it. They are both very good. Definitely worth getting both pairs if none other than having a spare pair excuse.

Even the glass on both tubes are different but these are pretty thick glass. Exceptional build quality.

IMG_9264.jpg

May 8, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #218 of 661
My adapters have arrived and here with EL11s. The El11s sound very similar to the EL3Ns. Full, clear and a bit warm, the vocal is a tad behind EL3N, and likes sitting in the second row instead of the first row.

PXL_20240508_162249607 (2).jpg

Where did you buy those adapters from? Looks much better than the white ones. Also you're making use of those test points provided by Eric.

Eric will not be providing those test points for new amps unless requested.

May 8, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #219 of 661
Where did you buy those adapters from? Looks much better than the white ones. Also you're making use of those test points provided by Eric.

Why not providing the test points? I find them very useful in matching tubes as well as identifying tubes that draw too much current - have a couple of 6Y6G tubes and others that seem to work fine but draw over 80mA and was told not to use them.

May 8, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #220 of 661
Why not providing the test points? I find them very useful in matching tubes as well as identifying tubes that draw too much current - have a couple of 6Y6G tubes and others that seem to work fine but draw over 80mA and was told not to use them.

Glad you find them useful. I did too. However if others did not want to use it, it will not be a standard feature. Eric provided this test points for free. It will be less work for him if it's not provided unless requested.

May 8, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #221 of 661
The preamp function which you requested is a great idea and Eric only charge $75 to cover parts and minimum labour cost. You can see Eric doesn't charge a lot for these extra functions. These days he just include it as standard. In other manufacturers amps if you wanted preamp function, it will definitely not be AUD$75.

It so happens that I am using Ultimate as preamp now to Odyssey. Incredible tone. It is a black background too. The absence of noise is something I take for granted now.

Ultimate - 6s3p and GEC 807 VT60
Odyssey - Tung Sol 6SL7 and Psvane KT88 Tii

May 8, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #222 of 661

Those adapters are made by @g0ldl10n for me. He did an amazing job, they fit securely and look fantastic. I have always used the test points whenever new power tubes show up. Safety is always first.

May 8, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #223 of 661
The preamp function which you requested is a great idea and Eric only charge $75 to cover parts and minimum labour cost. You can see Eric doesn't charge a lot for these extra functions. These days he just include it as standard. In other manufacturers amps if you wanted preamp function, it will definitely not be AUD$75.

It so happens that I am using Ultimate as preamp now to Odyssey. Incredible tone. It is a black background too. The absence of noise is something I take for granted now.

Ultimate - 6s3p and GEC 807 VT60
Odyssey - Tung Sol 6SL7 and Psvane KT88 Tii
If you don't have a dedicated preamp out you can always use the headphone jack. On those amps that have a four pin XLR for headphones you can get an adapter and use this for preamp out as well.

May 8, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #224 of 661
I just pose a question to Eric - why not have fixed bias for the power tubes in Ultimate. So you can adjust the mA according to the power tubes you use.

He said it's a good idea but that means you have to adjust the bias every time you change power tubes. Some might like it, some might not.

The cost for fixed bias - Eric has to think about this because it needs a different power supply.

This can only be for Super Ultimate because in the other 2 smaller chassis there is space limitation.

Essentially with this feature for Super Ultimate, it will become a baby U-Amp but U-Amp only use the stronger 6EM7 pair as drivers.

What this means is that Super Ultimate will continue to use dual driver options (6J5 / 6SN7) as well as fixed bias for power tubes and it should still be just as quiet.

U-amp with KT170.
IMG_5576.jpg

U-Amp with 6P20C tubes
IMG_5565.jpg

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #225 of 661
If you don't have a dedicated preamp out you can always use the headphone jack. On those amps that have a four pin XLR for headphones you can get an adapter and use this for preamp out as well.

You can but it's not as neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back