McChanson amps tube rolling thread
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #76 of 453
Hmmm, have you compared the Phillips Holland EL38 to the Mullard UK EL38? I have a couple of pairs of Mullards, but haven't heard the Holland variants yet.
Hello,

@AnyDave, unfortunately not the one I bought for the Euforia back then.
They were still quite cheap.3 pieces on Ebay for little money and all 3 new.
The one Phillips does not have a ring getter at the bottom, but rather strange trapezoids that are closed.
After Mullards I would actually have to see what they cost and where to buy them.

These Phillips sound amazing, I now understand the preference of those who have and love these EL38s.
I have these paired with a 12Ax7 Tungsol and it drives this EL38 effortlessly and cleanly, but sometimes a bit too much of a good thing.
The rectifier is an Ez81 Electro Harmonix.
It is definitely a different calibre of sound.
Not to be compared with EL34, KT88, 6550, it is a completely different sound on a different level like everything else.
But they are all overall treasures that you are glad to have. EL38 is one of them, unfortunately again a pure tube that will eventually die.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #77 of 453
My Philips EL38 is Mullard according to @OctavianH . See the double O getters at the bottom. Code on the bottom of the glass is B6J3.

There it says on the ad - Philips EL38 by Mullard.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394304428756

IMG_9229.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #78 of 453
Mein Philips EL38 ist Mullard laut @OctavianH . Sehen Sie die doppelten O-getter unten. Der Code auf der Unterseite des Glases lautet B6J3. Dort steht es auf der Anzeige - Philips EL38 von Mullard. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/394304428756 IMG_9229.jpg
I'll take some photos of mine.
Mine have the code Hm1 7F and Hm1 8bk
I think mine were made in Heerlen.
There is no code anywhere on the third tube.
I only see that they don't have an O getter, the top 2 have one.
But when I roughly compare your tubes with mine I see no difference visually, if then only with the 3rd tube in terms of getter.
Even when I compare the Mullard, which was made in the UK, I can't see any visual difference.
Possibly the plates could be different in construction or dimensions.
I have also seen Mullards with black plates.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #80 of 453
Not to be compared with EL34, KT88, 6550, it is a completely different sound on a different level like everything else.

I agree. All of them are unique but I am enjoying GEC 807 now. Don't know why it wasn't in my radar until now. The ATS25 is a lovely sounding tube. The texture is silky smooth.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #83 of 453
Sometime ago I say that my last tubes will be Mullard EL38 and GEC 807. :relaxed: I have them now and probably will stop. Getting 6BG6G will require another set of adapters. I have enough tubes and adapters. There will be no end.

RCA 6L6GC, Brimar 6L6G, WE350B... I don't have to chase these tubes.

Would have been better to get a pair of KT170.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #84 of 453
Sometime ago I say that my last tubes will be Mullard EL38 and GEC 807. :relaxed: I have them now and probably will stop. Getting 6BG6G will require another set of adapters. I have enough tubes and adapters. There will be no end.

RCA 6L6GC, Brimar 6L6G, WE350B... I don't have to chase these tubes.

Would have been better to get a pair of KT170.
You can not stop Matt, you are the leader and your avatar is @UntilThen :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :L3000:.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #86 of 453
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #87 of 453
I'll take some photos of mine.
Mine have the code Hm1 7F and Hm1 8bk
I think mine were made in Heerlen.
There is no code anywhere on the third tube.
I only see that they don't have an O getter, the top 2 have one.
But when I roughly compare your tubes with mine I see no difference visually, if then only with the 3rd tube in terms of getter.
Even when I compare the Mullard, which was made in the UK, I can't see any visual difference.
Possibly the plates could be different in construction or dimensions.
I have also seen Mullards with black plates.
Hm is the Philips type code for EL38 while 1 is a change code, kind of batch code. The first tube with Hm1 7F uses the five digit old code and could be interpreted as Eindhoven June 1948.
The second tube, Hm1 8bk makes me confused. This is six digit new code, implemented later in the fifties. You are sure it says 'bk' ?

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #89 of 453
I'm listening to a pair of Adzam branded EL82 in EL84 adapters. First i tried one A2900 as input tube but the outcome was somewhat muffled. Then I tried one Philips 6201 SQ and this was much better. I'm sure a standard ECC81/12AT7 would work too but wanted to use this in memory of the old radio repair man who originally owned it (and never used it). If you get the itch to try something else these tubes aren't bad at all and won't break the bank. I have heard EL84 tubes that are much less interesting. I think these were made by La Radiotechnique, Suresnes, a Philips subsidiary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back