McAfee Firewall
Mar 28, 2004 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wallijonn

Throwin' tantra.
fyi, (only because I spent a few hours on this problem).

W2K - installed McAfee Firewall and standard user and restricted user could not access the 'net. Firewall Icon said all traffic blocked.

There are 2 WXP updates to McAfee Firewall.

Resolution: under Admin account, show Firewall Icon properties, security tab, add user and give all privs. but not Full.

Don't forget to add other apps. like Outlook, Firebird, Firefox, Mozilla, Thunderbird.

Any other great firewalls out there? I tried Outpost but it got flakey with W2K.

Mar 29, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 16
I use Zone Alarm. They have a free version you can use, if you dont have a home network. If you do, you will have to get their Pro Version.

I've been using this for more than a year now & I have been very happy with the results. The configurations are a snap too! It has gotten rave reviews all over the net. Check it out.

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #6 of 16
Zone Alarm can block to much and doesn't employ stateful packet inspection (meaning it just looks at where the data is coming from, not what it's saying).

Sygate Personal Firewall is a very secure stateful packet inspection firewall which has worked well for me. As with most things the users might find the amount of options this thing has a bit overwhelming at first, but IMHO customisablity is the key to a good firewall, and with this firewall you can really learn as you go along.

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 16
I used to use ZA but found it ineffecive; I was hacked at least twice using it with Verizon DSL. That's when I switched to Outpost. Outpost has a great reporting feature. I took the DSL router out of the loop and was inundated with Kwazza probings, so a hardware firewall does help.

Mar 30, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 16
Apparently a lot of people have positive things to say about outpost pro, but not the free version. The company has apparently stopped development on the free version which is unfortunate. I guess they are relying on user's reviews to push their sales, because I think their demo gave me a bad impression.

Apr 15, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #13 of 16
Well, I finally got fed up with McAfee FW. The newer version may work with WXP but my version (McAfee 6) doesn't work too well, although it seems to be behaving with W2K. (I just had to upgrade from McAfee 5).

Ctn,

Thanks. I'm trying Kerio now. So far so good.

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:38 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by DeadTrying
Sygate Personal Firewall is a very secure stateful packet inspection firewall which has worked well for me. As with most things the users might find the amount of options this thing has a bit overwhelming at first, but IMHO customisablity is the key to a good firewall, and with this firewall you can really learn as you go along.

Ditto the SPF. I also used Zone Alarm and after trying Sygate I found all kinds of stuff making it thru ZA that SPF caught. I may even buy the Pro version and pay for it. It works supremely well, and so far nothing makes it thru.

Apr 15, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 16
From my experience I would have to tell you to purchase Nortons Antivirus, which is rated at the top for antivirus programs in consumer reports. For the firewall, I would have to also recommend Zone Alarm Pro, which was also rated at the top. I currently use both programs and nothing gets in my computer. If you are really paranoid you can even throw Zone Alarm into stealth mode where you IP address is hidden. This however makes web browsing more difficult becuase you cannot get into all web sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back