MB-Quart QP55X, anyone own these ?
May 22, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Radioshack adapter on it now, but I am on like my third one. Because it sticks out like 3 inches from my laptop, they always bend. It would be nice with not having to worry about the adapter protruding like 3 inches out from my player or laptop. But I agree, the cable is pretty heavy duty. I really need to work on my soldering skills before I tackle this. I have basically no soldering skills at this point.

The Grado adapter has a 4 inch cord between the plugs so it doesn't stick 3 inches out. I have one and love it.

May 22, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #32 of 37
I built a new adapter last night.

lopped 8 inches off the earcup end of an hd485 cable and attached it to a Switchcraft 1238 jack. Big rubber grommet installed in the oversized opening on the jack.

Works pretty well. The earcup-end plug on the hd485 is thin enough to get into the recessed jack on the iriver h120 remote, so that's a big plus.

It may weigh more than the grado or sennheiser adapters, but neither of those look like they'll fit the h120 remote, but the switchcraft is surprisingly light (0.8 ounces) and the real weight is going to be the plug-end of whatever i plug into it. Some of my 1/4" 'phones are efficient enough to be driven straight from the DAP, so plug barrel size was an important consideration.

Went nuts for weeks trying to find a website with the 1238 jack in stock at a reasonable price before i smacked my forehead and realized that i know an authorized switchcraft dealer personally.

May 22, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #33 of 37
I'll have to look into those, although when I get my Grado's, I really don't know how much I am going to be using the Sennheisers. I will be keeping those for the day when I step up to the plate and build a dedicated system. It will have to be someday when I am out of school and have the time and money to play around. I think using my computer as a source now and possibly an amp are my limits sadly. The whole $40k a year college thing is killing me (as is being an engineer).

May 24, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #34 of 37
after using these Quart 55s for a few days im quite impressed with the sound and the quality pads.

it's like an extremely comfortable lower end prestige grado headphone and just about leaks the same amount of noise as one too. It would be nice if it was easier to drive.

Get one while you can to your door for under 40$.

Thanks for the pics, ericj.

May 24, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's like an extremely comfortable lower end prestige grado headphone and just about leaks the same amount of noise as one too. It would be nice if it was easier to drive.

Precisely. I don't think these could be described any more pithily.

Jun 21, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #36 of 37
I got mine yesterday from Facelvega... This is my first bigger headphone .

Listening out of the NAD 1600 pre, ( wich is quite good with headphones) , the sound is more neutral than my px100's, more refined too. A bit brighter and more upfront . There are more details and so on.

I can say that for the 33 euro's I paid these are a good bargain. They look very classic, just plain black headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

They aren't really that special, but serve the job of very decent sound on the cheap. I like them, and will probably live with them for a couple of years till the slight upgrade bug bites me again.

Robert

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #37 of 37
WOW, I'm really into these Headphones right now! It takes a while to realize how good they are . They are very musical en engaging. Amazing bargain . My source isn't up to the task, ( just sold my modded squeezebox) but my vinyl shows the quality of these phones. Good bass, punchy ... but not really deep. Mids are OK< not the most detailed but spot on with tonalty and there's even soundstage, Highs are not bright, not smooth either... a bit of a mixxed bag. ( could be my sources) . I quite like the symbals on these.

Very happy ! I recently downgraded my speaker system ( got fed-up) and am now enjoying cheaper budget stuff. It has to be musical!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back