MB-Quart QP55's on Ebay
Dec 12, 2007 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kpeezy

Headphoneus Supremus
Dec 12, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 18
They've had those there for ages. I see they also raised their prices since a few of us bought pairs from them. They'd have to have qp70, 85, 95, 400, 450, or 805 for it to be worth bothering IMO.

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 18
yeah, iirc that's the same guy as runs electronicsbonanza.com. - they used to be $35, until they enjoyed brief FOTM status here.

They're really quite decent. The last octave of bass is rolled off so if you severely need bass they may disappoint. They've been said to have a sound signature somewhere between a Grado SR-60 or SR-80, but smoother.

And more comfortable, of course.

The QP-45x is a closed version with pleather rather than velour earpads, and is likely the same driver.

The QP-220 is a higher-end model and i don't know much about it.

MBQuart, which was once Peerless/MB (and before that, simply Mikrofon Bau), has made headphones for a whole lot of companies, including B&O. Currently the only current-production headphone they sell in the US is an OEM version of the QP450 sold by Charter Oak.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The QP-220 is a higher-end model and i don't know much about it.

It's the replacement model to the QP45x, nearly identical though supposedly with a slightly different driver. The QP240 is the same in relation to the QP55x, as is the QP400 to the QP95.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

The QP-45x is a closed version with pleather rather than velour earpads, and is likely the same driver.

The QP-45x is semi-open, similar to DT880 I guess, and the DT990 is open like the QP-55x. I have both QPs and they both leak like sieves. The 45x is also smaller, and a snug fit. The 55x is more comfortable.

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The QP-45x is semi-open, similar to DT880 I guess, and the DT990 is open like the QP-55x. I have both QPs and they both leak like sieves. The 45x is also smaller, and a snug fit. The 55x is more comfortable.

Contrary to popular belief, the DT990 has less than a square inch of venting on it. The inside of the earcup has a felt-lined plastic disc blocking all but about a 1.25" circle in the middle of the grille - which you'll notice is mostly blocked by the bar that says DT990 on it. The QP55x is FAR more open than the 990.

I have only one full-size dynamic headphone with openness that rivals the qp55x, and that's the 1980 version of the dt880.

I'd forgot that the qp45 was vented, I guess.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Contrary to popular belief, the DT990 has less than a square inch of venting on it. The inside of the earcup has a felt-lined plastic disc blocking all but about a 1.25" circle in the middle of the grille - which you'll notice is mostly blocked by the bar that says DT990 on it. The QP55x is FAR more open than the 990.

I have only one full-size dynamic headphone with openness that rivals the qp55x, and that's the 1980 version of the dt880.

I'd forgot that the qp45 was vented, I guess.

Feel free to blame Beyer for the classification on their cans. The same for the MB, as it's written on the box.

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #12 of 18
The MB Quart headphone or rather PMB headphones to look for are these:

PMB.jpg

I would love to get a pair of these
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MB Quart headphone or rather PMB headphones to look for are these:

I would love to get a pair of these
wink.gif

x2. My brief experience with Wualta's telefunken/pmb was great, though I guess I liked them more than walt did himself. Plus they're built like a tank.

Dec 13, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

They're really quite decent. The last octave of bass is rolled off so if you severely need bass they may disappoint. They've been said to have a sound signature somewhere between a Grado SR-60 or SR-80, but smoother.

To each his own... I don't really mind the restricted bass so much, but the upper treble on them sounds absolutely horrible to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back