Maynard Ferguson suggestions
Jul 13, 2007 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soMn

100+ Head-Fier
A neighbor of mine is an older trumpet player from the 40s through the 60s, until he blew out his vocal chords trying to sound like Maynard Ferguson. I had never heard of Ferguson until yesterday when we were sitting and talking and I asked him who his favorite horn player was. He doesn't really get out much, and didn't think there would be anything by Ferguson available anymore, so I'd like to pick something up for him just as a little gift, but I have no idea where to start. I'd prefer an older album, from the decades when my neighbor was playing also, if possible. any suggestions?

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Oh man, Maynard Ferguson is legendary! I've seen him a couple times live, and even at his old age he can still hit those high notes like nothing!

My favorite of his CDs is "Master of the Stratosphere." It consists of all the best songs taken from his most successful period (commercially) and packs them together into one CD. It includes Gospel John, Macarthur Park, and Superbone Meets the Badman. You'll have a very good idea of what Maynard Ferguson is all about after listening to those tracks! (Not to mention La Fiesta, Chameleon, and Gonna Fly Now (the theme from Rocky)). Too much goodness
biggrin.gif

Maynard Ferguson - Master of the Stratosphere - Amazon link

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by peasleer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, Maynard Ferguson is legendary! I've seen him a couple times live, and even at his old age he can still hit those high notes like nothing!

Maynard died last year.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Tongue in cheek. That is too bad
frown.gif
I saw him last just a couple of years ago, he seemed incredibly energetic and had a lot of fun on stage. That's the way I want to grow old
smily_headphones1.gif

On a related note, Doc Severinsen is still alive, and I believe still performing occasionally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doc_Severinsen

I'd recommend his music, he is also really good.

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 8
Wounded Bird Recordings has been re-releasing a lot of the Maynard Ferguson's CBS catalog. You can't go to far wrong with any of the M.F. Horn recordings. M.F. Horn 2 is a personal favorite. I had the pleasure of seeing his band 6 or 7 times over the years. The last time was in a shopping mall when I lived in D.C. The guy had some chops.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 8
MAynard James Keenan > this ferguson dude
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 8
excellent; thanks for the help. I'm definately going to pick up both of those suggested. Master of the Stratosphere sounds like a good one for me to listen to, and Double Exposure sounds like it would be perfect for him. I saw those MF Horn I and II albums when I googled him, and thought those looked like they'd be worthwhile, but figured I'd come to ask here first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back