Maybe it is time to put DAC's into new subforum?
Nov 6, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
What's a CD player?

very_evil_smiley.gif

Agreed on moving the forum. Rumatt>> BTW, have you bought a new DAC yet?

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
Agreed on moving the forum.

+1. Subforum are a bad idea if there's not enough content to keep them busy, but that's not the case here. There's plenty of DAC discussion, and it would make it easier for someone looking to read only about CD players to browse their content.

Quote:

Rumatt>> BTW, have you bought a new DAC yet?

Yes! Discussed briefly here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=16

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
+1. Subforum are a bad idea if there's not enough content to keep them busy, but that's not the case here. There's plenty of DAC discussion, and it would make it easier for someone looking to read only about CD players to browse their content.

Yes! Discussed briefly here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=16

Cool on the DA100. Enjoy. I just ordered a Lavry DA10 - I will try it out at the shipping and if I like it I will keep it and sell my Larocco portable amp (that powers almost like a desktop amp).

Nov 6, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
There's a different distinction between electrostatic amp vs. dynamic amp and DAC vs. CDP/TT/"Full Source." An electrostatic amp is as much of an amp as is a dynamic amp (In the sense that they both take the same place in the signal chain and function similarly with regard to independence/dependence on other components). A DAC isn't as much of a source as is a TT or CDP. They don't occupy the same place in the signal chain and the DAC is a component of a CDP. Kind of like this:

Amplifiers:
Electrostatic
-SS
-Tube
Dynamic
-SS
-Tube

Sources:
Turntable
-Tonearm
-etc.
CDP
-DAC
-Output stage
-etc.

(Note, I'm not saying that's how this forum should be organized; that's just an example of what I was saying with regard to the electrostatic/dynamic amp relation being different compared to CDP/DAC relationship)

Of course you can use a DAC with a CDP, sound card, etc. but we already have a separate forum dedicated to computer-as-source components, and the vast majority of DAC discussion takes place outside the computer-as-source component forum.

Good point. Though I don't agree with that a dac isn't as much a source as a cd player, I can see where you're coming from. From my point of view though a dac allmost entirely replaces the CD player and is because of that as much a source as any.

But, I'll agree with the fact that most threads in here are about dacs and for the overviews sake it would be good to move them to a subdirectory. Still, it might be that this starts a spree of subfora and causes an empty and divided forum (I've seen this happen to multiple good tech forums and have stopped visiting them).

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #20 of 25
If it came to a vote I think I'd vote to leave things as is.
Record players, Cd players, seperate transport and Dac, tape players are
all dedicated source components in my mind.
If you were looking for a new CD player why not consider a
seperate transport and DAC? Likewise if you wanted to upgrade
your seperate DAC why not consider an all in one box CD player instead?
I just don't see the need, or benifit, of splitting things up right now.

Nov 6, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tact
and since when DAC is source? it is a piece of chips worthless without transport

A transport is pretty useless without a DAC too. How do you decide which one is more useless? I don't understand your point with this. Just because it's not as interesting to you, doesn't mean it's not a source. I have no interest in the transport because the DAC is where I hear more difference, but that's not an argument for removing transports from the source forum.

I'd vote to leave DACs in here.

Nov 6, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #22 of 25
This is a funny debate in the following way. I would guess that about 80% of the threads in this forum concern DAC's. So, if you coming here looking for DAC's, you got the right place, no problem. However, if you are trying to get info or ask questions on cd players/transports, you have to filter out all the DAC threads. Therefore, I would have thought it's the latter group who would want a separate forum for CD players/transports only (which I agree are true sources); yet, surprisingly, it's the people who are interested in DAC's asking for a separate forum. What gives?

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Well, the forum is called "Dedicated Source Components." But I can see what you mean and I wouldn't mind seeing DAC's in a sub-forum of some sort (It seems that this whole source forum is composed of ~80% DAC threads).

We already have a distinct forum just for computer-as-source components, so if we make a separate DAC sub-forum would we have to combine the 2 existing source forums into one (Since you can use a DAC with both CDPs/TTs and soundcards)?

technically the turntable would have to go through a phono stage, then a ADC, before getting near a DAC for anything, but...you know, i think that's a good point. i'm not certain my 0404 has the best ADC in it, since both my TT and mic stuff comes out a bit thin and i'm itchy to tweak it with EQ once i hear it played back thru my chain.

Nov 6, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #24 of 25
I'm feeling punchy and goofy right now... so

let's split the baby and leave the 'D's in this forum and move the 'AC's to a new forum.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dknightd
I just don't see the need, or benifit, of splitting things up right now.

If you're looking for CDP stuff, it's easier if they're separate since it gets the bazillion DAC threads out of the way. That's a clear benefit.

What's the down side? There is none, really. The forum software allows you to add a button that says, "Show me all the threads in this forum and its children." so if you like viewing it the original way (combined) you could still do that too. Everyone gets what they want.

What bugs me the most about this place is the 30 second limit on searching. If you don't find what you want after your first search, you need to sit there and pick your nose for 30 seconds before searching again. It happens to me all the time and it's super annoying. The other forums I use have a 5 seconds limit or so and that's no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back