Maximo iMetal IM-590 Earphones
May 18, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #16 of 90
I've owned two versions of the iM490s, using them regularly since they first debuted. I must note that the build quality is superb. The included extension cable has found its way to several other headphones, and has excellent connectors.

As I walk about, or find myself busy in the workshop, they are comfortable enough to double as hearing protectors.

At first, I found their metal right-angle cable guides awkward. Now, this feature is quite practical in handling the devices, and it makes looping them over the ears quite natural, just as I do with other IEMs.

In contrast with more pricey units, I am quite confident that the Maximos will take a real beating. In fact, they even survived an accidental squishing in a Mercedes door jamb a year ago, with absolutely no sign of trauma.

At their price point, they provide surprising fidelity, and I need not have a heart attack over bumping into things.

I'm looking forward to the new 590s. It will be interesting to compare them against the "indoor" models, as they look quite promising for active use.

Bob
happy_face1.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 90
Just receive the iM590 this morning and I am burning it in right now. My early impression is very positive, a full review will probably have to wait till next week.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 90
can anyone compare these with head direct re2???? i am very confused which one to buy out of these 2. i can get maximo im 590 for around 50 $ but i can get head direct re2's for 29 $ now. there is a sale going on at head direct. i was leaning towards maximo im 590 beacuse of the 2 year warranty and the extras that come alongwith it. and it has got positive reviews too. but re2's come only with 90 days warranty. and not with all the extras of im 590. plz help me guys.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 90
Own both, and my choice would be the 590s for overall balance. The RE2s are very nicely detailed phones, but very weak on the bottom end (they need a lot of EQing or an amp), and have had durability issues. While I am not keeping the pair of 590s I have (don't need them), they are a nice, balanced IEM for the price. Very sturdy. I was not a fan of the Maximo tips, but there are alternatives if you need them.

Also, no need for a full-blown review since Jant71 and ClieOs did so well (as always), for their price (under $50 on amazon), the 590s are a solid nice step up from OEM buds. In their price category, which is $50-$100, my favorite is the Klipsch S4, but those are $79, so $30 more. I love much of Head-Direct's gear that I have tried, but the RE2s are not really for everyday use, more for at home listening with a high-end amp. The 590s are very good for the price, and require no such added hardware.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #20 of 90
well. i did buy the maximo's based on your recommendation. and i am loving them
biggrin.gif
initially i thought that it was lacking very much in the bass.(i also have a denon c551 and sennheiser cx300) but after changing the eartips, the bass improved. i settled on the largest eartips. when i insert them sufficiently, the bass is quite good. and the eartips are comfortable too. what alternate eartips are you talking about? coz i m actually happy with these eartips

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 90
Anybody see the IM-790 which debuted at CES? $79 and adjustable bass. Most likely another winner! I didn't start a thread since I only saw a few snippets, no pics or real info.

Seems the S4 has some competition with the IM-790 and Ety MC5.

Jan 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #24 of 90
Jan 10, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #26 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, saw it earlier. Very interesting tuning feature. Ety released something too but I'm far more interested in the iM-790

iLounge seems to agree.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maximo Products Debuts 7-Series iMetal® Isolation Earphones A press release on their site.

Yep, the S4 would be my last choice of the three $79 offerings.

I'm also interested in the Ety model (a friend heard them at CES and says they were fantastic, but it was a brief audition) and the im790, but would reserve judgment until I have heard them all side by side, which probably won't happen.

No secret that I found the S4 to be more to my taste than the im590, but there are way too many $79/$80 IEMs coming out now. I may have to be happy with the TF10 customs (coming today, I think) and the Westone 2s, which I bought used (on their way). I still find the Cyclone PR1 as my fave under $100 phone, tough to beat it in my view.

As for iLounge's credibility, they also once rated the Bose QuietComfort Acoustic Noise Canceling phones as an "A" (they still endorse Bose's latest entries, though not quite as highly) and the Westone 2, which others have rated pretty highly (including some HF members) a "B". And they recommend both the im590 (B+) and the S4 (B), rating them pretty closely. Their Bose recommendation, which admittedly is ancient (2002, why even have it listed any more?), and their lukewarm endorsement of the Bose Tri-Port (which in my view really sucked) does sort of put some tarnish on their overall review prowess.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #30 of 90
well i have to say i think the S4 would probably be my last choice of the 3 too. yeah its guess work but the S4 just have too much bass, i just keep longing for it to go away. a shame because its really super comfy and has nice mids. are there amps with a bass reducer button?

790 v the new ety could be interesting though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back