Maximo fell apart
Jul 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mmd8x28

100+ Head-Fier
My Maximo iems fell apart on me this night. I was pulling out one of the sides out, and half of it came out, with the driver and foam tips still in the ear.

Uh, ok. So what iem is NOT made that cheap? Without killing my wallet.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 19
Some of the model has life warranty and you might want to check.

Aug 1, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 19
One problem is I can't tell what model it is..

It was one of those Woot! models that were sold some couple of years ago..

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
One problem is I can't tell what model it is..

It was one of those Woot! models that were sold some couple of years ago..

I'm willing to bet it was the HS3.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 19
No, it actually looks like the im490, but with black tips like the im490s...  (it came with a bag, 3 different tips, and an extension cord, but not the bag i see on their site, looks entirely different.

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 19
I'd contact Maximo Customer Support just in case, but I don't think they can do anything since sites like Woot! aren't normally supported retailers of the product (thus you get no warranty).  It's still worth a shot at CS though.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 19
They told me I can get the warranty with them.

I sent the RMA form, and now a lot of time has passed with no response.  Sending another email.

I hope they follow through.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 19
Well, got an email back, I need to wait now 3-4 weeks..

That means 3-4 weeks of no mobile music.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Well, got an email back, I need to wait now 3-4 weeks..

That means 3-4 weeks of no mobile music.

Speakers, get a pair of cheapos for a little while, etc.  Good thing they are honoring your warranty.  Altec Lansing didn't honor mine when I inquired about a broken driver (I bought off of the same site :p)

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 19
I honestly don't have any money right now to spend.  The player I use, a GP2X Caanoo has built in speakers, but that's about it.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #11 of 19
This wait is going to suck..

I thought about using iPod headphones, but then when using them, realized just how bassless they really are.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 19
Necroposting!  Sorry to do this, but........the replacements, SAME failure.

Ugh, I'm going to have to do this again aren't I.  I'm starting to feel this product is flawed.

Sep 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 19
  2 years later, LOL. Damn, I need to change my tires again. What the heck is wrong with Goodyear.

So you feel that earphones shouldn't be built to last?  Hardly like tires.

I mean come on, I have headphones from the 60's that still work great, and never needed their warranty to be invoked (and yes I do actually have some old Pioneer headphones with a lifetime warranty).  But being that my Maximo's constantly suffer from the same failure every couple years, is kinda annoying to say the least.  If it happens again I'm about to just solder the two halves together and call it a day.

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 19
Earphones go through a lot. Cables tend to last for 2 to 3 years. This is your 2nd pair and the others likely lasted over a year so you've gotten over 3 years out of a Woot deal so likely < $50. Nothing wrong with recouping on a lifetime warranty but this thread should be about how great Maximo is to still cover you instead of how the product is flawed.

Normal wera and tear is part of IEM ownership. What happened to your phones is that the glue gave way. After 2 years it could have been caused by happening to sit on or squeeze them one time and temporarily stress the shape enough to the crack a brittle glue. After 2 years of IEM use it's probably inappropriate to blame the maker for something like this. Can you honestly say that you have never once snagged them or put pressure on their housings. I don't think anyone could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back