Maxed out SM3??
Apr 29, 2005 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
What would you guys think would be the maxed out SM3? being that i dont know anything about internals of amps this is pretty interesting....

Cheers!!
600smile.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 9
I am not sure I understand your question. Maxed out for what purpose?

John

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 9
The only available options at the time of ordering is the 4 switch feature ($49.99), opamp627 ($39.99) and ad8610 ($29.99) as opposed to the stock NE5534 opamps that comes with the SMV3.

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 9
....sorry, let me clarify. While i was looking around the Xin site (thinking about purchasing a SM3) they had the options for Opamps. I was just wondering what would be the best SM3 you could get, best in terms of overall sq, and such. And also, could somebody help me out a little with all these Opamps???

Apr 29, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
....sorry, let me clarify. While i was looking around the Xin site (thinking about purchasing a SM3) they had the options for Opamps. I was just wondering what would be the best SM3 you could get, best in terms of overall sq, and such. And also, could somebody help me out a little with all these Opamps???

I purchased a SMV3 with the 4 switch and stock NE5534 opamps. You can get 'free' samples from www.ti.com I ordered and received the following opamps opa627 and opa637 from ti and Xin will include some free opamps with your order if he has any left in inventory.

There isn't a best combo, that's the beauty of the SM you can roll your own opamps and decide for yourself which opamp you like for your taste in music.

Apr 29, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Cool, thank you. Also, i heard something about 2x buffers???? what exactly is this, and im pretty sure i heard someone else saying the would upgrade to 4x??? im might be completely off on this "what i thought" statement, but if you guys know, could you enlighten me a little...
rolleyes.gif
, gracias

Cheers!!
600smile.gif

Apr 29, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 9
If you have power hungry cans, you should definitely inquire about getting 3x buffers...that can help ensure you don't run out of headroom.

I REALLY like the 604s in my V1...much better than the 627s or 8610s. That said, I'd order it with the 8610s, because those only come in soic format. Buy the others as DIPs...

Apr 29, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
If you have power hungry cans, you should definitely inquire about getting 3x buffers...that can help ensure you don't run out of headroom.

I REALLY like the 604s in my V1...much better than the 627s or 8610s. That said, I'd order it with the 8610s, because those only come in soic format. Buy the others as DIPs...

Say, i were to use the SM3 with some beyer DT990's or 770's, would i need 3x buffers?? also, if i get a bunch of opamps from ti, how exactly do you change them up in the SM?? do you solder or what....remember, im a noob with amps
icon10.gif
thanks again

Cheers!!

Apr 30, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
Say, i were to use the SM3 with some beyer DT990's or 770's, would i need 3x buffers?? also, if i get a bunch of opamps from ti, how exactly do you change them up in the SM?? do you solder or what....remember, im a noob with amps
icon10.gif
thanks again

Cheers!!

Here's a site and pictures showing how to change opamp, open the case, etc. Thanks to alanz!

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/audio/amp.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back