Maxed Out Home arrived!
Apr 3, 2002 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

session76

100+ Head-Fier
I got my MOH yesterday and don't have words to describe how much I love it
smily_headphones1.gif
I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't been reading this board since early January, they really should post the "Welcome to Head-Fi sorry about your wallet", when you register to this board. So far I've bought an HD-600 a MOH and a load of cd's mostly from half.com so that didn't dent my wallet too badly
wink.gif
. The MOH simply reproduces music with an incredible faithfullness to the source, my well recorded cd's and surprisingly the Jazz station carried by MusicDirect a service of Time warner Digital Cable sound as good, if not better than a live performance. When the audience applauded at the end of a session, the hairs on the back of my neck stood at attention. I was enveloped in the space of the venue, reverberations and echoes in the hall were transmitted as if through crystal. I've seen a lot of live Jazz performances in New York at the Blue Note, so I feel that I can make an adequate comparison between the two. And the Bass fuhgetaboutit, its from another dimension. It's granite, it goes deeper than the foundation of the Empire State Building. From speaking to Todd from Headroom he said that this setup is 95% of the MAX, which just differs in its power supply, and it was rated Class A in Sterophile this month. Although I might be committed if I told my non-audiophile friends or family about this purchase, I'm sure you guys can appreciate the elation I've been experiencing with this exquisite piece of equipment. Thanks for all of your help and insight in getting to this stage, I'm sure this isn't the last big $ audio purchase I'm going to make. I also tested out my etymotics on this rig, they seem perfectly happy with my Total Airhead 4.5 volt, they are almost too revealing on this amplifier. The background hiss and crackles on most recordings distract from the music.
In short, I would highly recommend this setup to anyone with a grand to blow on a headphone amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 24
congratulations on your purchase! I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your purchase!

please post a review of the MOH once you have listened to it for a while!

Driftwood

Apr 3, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 24
I always use the crossfeed on when I use my MOHR, and for Senn 600 use the "bright" position on the filter. Don't forget to get a decent after market AC cord, the one that comes with unit from headroom is a toss away, replace ASAP.

Headroom's latest crossfeed design really works quite well, and produces an easily noticeable improvement.

Apr 3, 2002 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks for the kind welcome fellow headphone phanatics (sorry I couldn't resist that one)
smily_headphones1.gif

To Dark Angel:
What sonic improvements did you hear with the Absolute power cord? Is it an improvement over a hospital grade cord that I could pick up in a hospital supply store i.e. Quail power cord or swipe from a patients respirator in the hospital
wink.gif

I can't wait to go home and listen to it tonight.
Thanks again, this is the first and only board that i've been a part of and a friendly helpful one at that, a bona-fide online community that i feel privileged to be a member of.

Apr 3, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 24
Congrats on your new toy. Each time I listen to my MOH I am amazed at the clarity which I now hear things. Additionally, the "space "between" the instruments. I read (maybe it's in the OM) that there is much more "black" between the instruments, separation clarity, if you will.

I have had my Absolute Power Cord in for a couple of days now, and I don't hear any obvious difference in the sound. But, maybe given time I will. What makes the most difference is my new NAD C541i that I received the same day as the power cord. Oh babeeeee!!!

Apr 3, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 24
JMT, you too? I bought a couple of those AC power cords myself and I don't hear any difference either. I've got one in my 9000ES and in my headphone amp, and as far as I can tell I get a lotta placebo effect, that I just have a prettier AC cord now.
rolleyes.gif

Oh well, at least it was cheap enough that it's better than a stock cord...or that's what I'd like to think...

Apr 3, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Thanks JMT you just saved me 50bucks, wallet
smily_headphones1.gif
I love this thing and am pretty happy with its sound,
shouldn't those two huge independent power suplies for each channel(drool) eliminate any difference in power cords? The one that came with it made a nice connection into the iec plug and into the monster hts 2000 that i am using as a power filter/surge protector, and feels like a relatively fat piece of well insulated cable. I too noticed that there is a palpable sense of space between instruments in a good recording on this system. I can't wait to hear what the cardas cable sounds like in this rig, ordered one today, wallet
frown.gif

To those who have heard one what are your impressions of the NAD c541i?

Apr 3, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 24
I find the sound noticeably improved with Absolute vs generic cord that comes with MOH. The improvement lies in the smoother more grain free sound, produces more natural and dynamic sound, the whole sound is more relaxed yet has more detail.

Can't comment on industrial or hospital cords, but they are not custom designed for audio applications. You of course can do better than Absolutes but it will cost $200+ and with some components this doesn't make economic sense to spend this much.

The whole reason Headroom went to the trouble/expense of providing IEC recepticle instead of captive cord is so you can use
improved aftermarket AC cord. Even if you don't like the Absolute
you should use something other than generic cheapie that comes with MOH.

Apr 4, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 24
Going from a ratshack 18awg to the 'Absolute' on my Corda was a worthwhile switch, very easy to tell difference. I did not believe in power cables prior.

Apr 4, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #13 of 24
I am of the power cord religion, myself. Using a Ven Haus DIY IEC with the Corda HA-1, I found slightly improved bass response and better blackness (the stuff JMT is just now discovering).

I'm sure it varies depending on a lot of factors but it definitely mattered in my apartment.

Apr 4, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #14 of 24
Welcome to the Max club session76!

I'm sorry but I must confess, I cannot make the leap of faith it takes to imagine any audible difference between two decent power cords. The only possible issue might be shielded vs. non shielded in the presence of a strong RF field. Some day I will do a test... Just hard to imagine...

Apr 4, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #15 of 24
So how much you guys are willing to pay for a power cord? What price tag when you are shopping for one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back