Max out volume in OS X or on amp?
Jan 23, 2009 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

beez

100+ Head-Fier
I'm using iTunes on macbook and a PA2V2 with grado SR60s. I've tried searching for the answer to this and from what i think i've read, my understanding is that it's better to have the volume maxed out in iTunes and OS X, and adjust the volume on the amp. is this correct? I'm new to the world of amping and hi end computer audio so a lot of what i read is still a bit confusing, and i just wanna make sure i can get the most out of what i've got. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 14
You read right. Digital volume alters the signal, reducing the dynamic range etc...
Use your amp for volume control

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 14
I read (but can't find the reference) that the volume works correctly in the current iTunes.

I have been using the iTunes volume control for a while and it doesn't seem to degrade the sound quality. My amp is not situated conveniently for a quick reach if I need/want the volume lower so this is mostly a convenience thing, for me.

I understand that in previous verions of iTunes the volume control made a mess of the sound.

Have fun!

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You read right. Digital volume alters the signal, reducing the dynamic range etc...
Use your amp for volume control

Max out itunes and use the amp volume control. This is what both Apple and most Dac manufacturers recommend.

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Does this apply if you use the HP out as well? or only digital out?

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 14
itunes/osx volume controls what goes out of your mac.
If you plug in your headphones in the HP-out of your mac you have to lower the volume digitally. (or blow out your ears)
But when using an external amp/dac you want the incoming signal as clean as possible (ever read the PC bit-perfect stuff?) as many programs really don't process stuff like this good.
In short: Digital volume alters the signal, while Analog volume just lowers the volume. Newest iTunes is said to be pretty ok, but I wouldn't trust standard OSX controls with this. (and I don't believe anyone uses iTunes controls instead of the keyboard buttons)
of course, the standard YMMV does apply, so try it.

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 14
Yeah, thats right!
You are better out keeping the audio signal as strong and untouched as possible, until it reach the final volume control in the amplifier.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 14
Yes.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 14
I personally wouldn't worry about it until you're spending 4 figures on your rig. If there's a difference, it'd be minuscule. Whatever is more convenient for you.

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by beez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using iTunes on macbook and a PA2V2 with grado SR60s. I've tried searching for the answer to this and from what i think i've read, my understanding is that it's better to have the volume maxed out in iTunes and OS X, and adjust the volume on the amp. is this correct? I'm new to the world of amping and hi end computer audio so a lot of what i read is still a bit confusing, and i just wanna make sure i can get the most out of what i've got. thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Always adjust the volume from the amp. Therefore keep your itunes/winamp whatever at maximum volume all the time; ditto the sound volume from your soundcards control (or windows). This ensures minimal distortion as any kind of digital volume change brings about a difference in sound signal.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 14
while the amp's volume control is preferred, itunes' volume control (v7 and later) is of very good quality so i wouldn't sweat it if convenience is a factor. i'm curious to know how many people can honestly hear a difference.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #14 of 14
Also, if you want to change the OS X master volume in finer increments, hold down SHIFT+option at the same time while pressing the volume keys.

This will change the volume level by a quarter 'block' rather than one whole volume 'block'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back