Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Aug 22, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #661 of 783
The Dual is for stereo or something I think. it is the way the chips are aligned. As the components are single channel components. I may be wrong. I remember it is mentioned somewhere either on hte website or in this thread.

The tube upgrade that comes with the D1 is good and defintely a good entry "upgrade" tube!.
The 396A is REALLY lovely. Deep, open sound stage. Gives the lower frequency a warm, upped feel. Punchy but not boomy.

Paired with the SUN HDAM it becomes clearer and the extension of the soundstage is opened up a little bit more ontop of that.

I run my D1 to my stereo amp and the sound is gorgeous. The same goes with headphones (obviously pending the headphones). Close your eyes and the music rises and fills with presence.
There are a few combinations here on the thread that you can dig out via eBay and play around with. :).
I left my case off as it is a bit of a hassel try to get it on and off haha. Might do a clear cover though.

You're most welcome!. I really enjoy the D1 and want to keep this thread going!

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #663 of 783
Quote:
I'm looking for a new desktop amp/dac combo and would like to know if anyone of you would rate a maverick d1 over a fiio e17/e09k combo.

I've never tried the e17 combo and what not so I don't really know what to say in that aspect but if you're willing to muck arond with getting the case off on the D1 and getting a nice tube and the SUN HDAM from audio-gd. It is a really nice unit.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #664 of 783
Hello everyone!
I'm interested in this device and have some questions:
1) I'm planning to connect DAC with my PC via USB. As i know USB-implementation in Maverick Audio D1 is worse than in almost same-priced Audio-GD NFB-12 / 15 (specifically current 15.32). But... i'm listening only 16 bit 44 khz CD-rips. Will i find a difference in USB implementations in such case?
2) How does D1 sound from headphone output in comparison to Audio-GD NFB-12 / 15 or another Audio-GD? I read here positive comparison of D2 and Audio-GD NFB-12 only as a DAC, but D1 has another DAC-chip and there are no tube-magic on headphone output :) Can anyone describe its sound with headphones?
3) I have rather good speakers (JBL S26CH) and need a good dac-out/preamp for my amplifier (HK AVR132 receiver now). Can D1 beat NFB-12 dac-out in this component? As i see in review by John Darko it's possible: 4 stars for D1 and 3.5 stars for NFB-12.
Thanks for your response.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #665 of 783
Let's revive the dead. I have a Maverick D1 + on the way from Asia and I am also expecting a NFB-12 from another member to arrive any day now.

Once I have had time to get these pieces up and running, I'll be happy to answer any questions. Just so you know, I've upgraded the opamps and also the tube. But I went one step further and ordered a WE 386A JAN Military spec tube from eBay for $65. I just had to know how it sounded as the reviews were quite impressive.

More to come later in the week. Oh, did I mention I also ordered the V90 from Violectric.

This weekend is gonna be a hoot at my house. Neighbors are in for a treat.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #666 of 783
Haha. Wicked etys!

I have the WE 396A and it is very nice. 
Currently paired wit the audiogd SUN HDAM and yyum.

May 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #667 of 783
Swapped out the LF353N Op-amps, rolled in some OPA2134's, massive improvement, soundstage much bigger and everything is more detailed, like lifting a veil.

Next i'll look into swapping some capacitors.

May 7, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #668 of 783
I want to swap / put in bigger caps but don;t jnow where to start....or what to do.. ><. Did it with my X-Can V2 but not sure what to do with the D1.

I wonder how the OPA2134's compare to the Audio-gd SUN HDAM.

May 24, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #669 of 783
Quote:
I want to swap / put in bigger caps but don;t jnow where to start....or what to do.. ><. Did it with my X-Can V2 but not sure what to do with the D1.

I wonder how the OPA2134's compare to the Audio-gd SUN HDAM.

Some one already revived this thread from the death, so I may well want to ask if :

1. Does the D1 pop when on/off or switch inputs as some reviewers stated ?
2. I need a DAC/ PRE with variable output for my power studio monitor, I am looking at the Schiit Lyr and this one. Of course the Lyr is just a tube headphone amp with analog variable ouput without a DAC. My CDP is pretty good as far as I know, should I get the Lyr or the D1 for my power studio monitor in term of SQ and build?
3. For SS ouput, has anyone compare the D1 with the AudioEngine D1?

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #670 of 783
Talking about some opamps: I first bought a LT1364 as DAC and a LM4562NA as H-amp. Were a nice improvement but after a while I wanted something better. Thought OPA627's were the deal (for DAC and H-amp). They weren't better (nor worse) but just different. The OPA627 as DAC was a bit more detailled than the LT1364, but the LT1364 was a bit warmer and some extra bass. The OPA627 as H-amp was a slight downgrade from the LM4562NA, but my LM4562NA made some slight ticking/popping in the background when no sound/music is playing so I wont be using my LM again since it might be failing (it didn't used to do this).

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #671 of 783
I ended up getting the SUN HDAM. They have extension leads for you to stuff the HDAM inside the case if you want to closer her up.
Abosutely amazing addition to the D1.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #672 of 783
Quote:
I ended up getting the SUN HDAM. They have extension leads for you to stuff the HDAM inside the case if you want to closer her up.
Abosutely amazing addition to the D1.

Does the SUN really fits inside that case? I also thought it was used as the DAC, not the H-amp.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #673 of 783
there are two slots in the D1. one for the Hamp one ofr the tube out.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #674 of 783
Quote:
there are two slots in the D1. one for the Hamp one ofr the tube out.

Yes I know but I'm searching for a new opamp for the H-amp section since I already have a LT1364 in the DAC section. My question was if the Sun can be used in the H-amp section? Anyone tried this?

Edit after the answer below: Oh, ok thanks! :)

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #675 of 783
That is what I was saying but didn't word properly. the SUN HDAM can be used in the h-amp. which is why I only bought one as I never use both simeutaneously. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back