Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Dec 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #541 of 783
Hello,

I just purchased the TubeMagic D1 and received it and I have a few questions. I am hearing a soft white noise from the headphone out and I am wondering, is this normal? I hear it even without any sources plugged in so I am pretty sure it isn't from my source.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #542 of 783

Quote:
Hello,

I just purchased the TubeMagic D1 and received it and I have a few questions. I am hearing a soft white noise from the headphone out and I am wondering, is this normal? I hear it even without any sources plugged in so I am pretty sure it isn't from my source.

I think that is normal but you should probably accept an answer from someone that specifically remembers the headphone output on the D1 as it's been quite a while and I just don't remember it.

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #544 of 783

Quote:
Uh-oh... I've tried every single browser out there, but spoilers don't open. Really need the FAQ...

Spunky, can you send me the version w/o the spoilers? 

I know, I gotta fix it. I'm not sure how old this is but I have a PDF of the forum post:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/head-fi/mav_condensed/mav_condensed_post.pdf

Dec 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #545 of 783

Quote:
Well yeah of course, I'm just trying to establish a general statement. So getting all the tube vs solid state out the way. Does the HD650 do better with warmer sounding equipment?

HD650s are usually described as sounding "dark" and are said to mate well with warmer sounding amps. (I've never experienced them for myself so I can't give you a first hand impression) They supposedly mate very well with the Bottlehead Crack OTL tube amp.

I actually ordered a Crack tonight and plan to eventually get some HD600s or 650s. Not sure which pair I want yet.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #546 of 783

Quote:
Hello,

if i crank up the volume to 3 quarters of the way i can hear a soft staticy hum, but below that nothing, i never need to go past about half way on the dial anyway.

Dec 8, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #547 of 783
The D1 and HD650 are okay but much better with a more powerful standalone amp. I prefer tube amps myself. The D1 tube pre-out goes into my main system and to my ears sounds much better than the D1 SS stage. I never use the D1 SS-out stage. But again, I prefer the tube sound in general. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #548 of 783
I can only say that I didn't have any noise coming from the headphone out, and I sure did some extensive listening through it. What cans are you using?

Quote:
Hello,

Dec 10, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #549 of 783
Kinda hit my zone with the bifrost/lyr combo.  The dac itself is insanely pure while the lyr adds some color and punch.  Though the specs on the D2 are a significant upgrade and the price is right, even if the SNR specs don't match to some other dac chips out there(the chip itself which is cheap).

I would suggest foregoing the standard tube and finding a better one,  I felt the nos tube that shipped with the D1 to not really add anything to the sound.  And I mean the one that came with the more expensive model.

Dec 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #550 of 783

Quote:
Kinda hit my zone with the bifrost/lyr combo.  The dac itself is insanely pure while the lyr adds some color and punch.  Though the specs on the D2 are a significant upgrade and the price is right, even if the SNR specs don't match to some other dac chips out there(the chip itself which is cheap).

I would suggest foregoing the standard tube and finding a better one,  I felt the nos tube that shipped with the D1 to not really add anything to the sound.  And I mean the one that came with the more expensive model.

The GE 5670 I think? Those Raytheon Windmill Getters and 396A's are pretty boss. Good investment in tubes if you plan to keep it a long time.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #552 of 783
Since I asked in the other thread, might as well ask here too. How do you guys think the Beyer DT990 600ohms do with the D1?

Dec 16, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #553 of 783
You got a pretty good reply from Maverick there. I don't really agree with him as I didn't like the DT990/600 with the D1, it was a bit better with the A1 but when I got my other amps I finally heard how the DT990/600 should sound. But tastes are different and not everyone likes the same sound, and thats a good thing. I suggest you try and if you don't like it, return it or sell it. You usually don't get it right the first time :)

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #554 of 783

Quote:
You got a pretty good reply from Maverick there. I don't really agree with him as I didn't like the DT990/600 with the D1, it was a bit better with the A1 but when I got my other amps I finally heard how the DT990/600 should sound. But tastes are different and not everyone likes the same sound, and thats a good thing. I suggest you try and if you don't like it, return it or sell it. You usually don't get it right the first time :)

frown.gif
I usually hate returning things...that's why I try to get it right the first time. Welp, at least I'll get a chance to try out the HD650 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back