Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Oct 24, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #497 of 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstevenson /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hooked it up to my Mac Mini using USB, and I'm hearing some interference -- not loud, but it's there.

You can hear interference? What kind of interference? I am curious.

Quote:
Your mac has a spdif out , use that as thats much better on the D1

I am beginning to think otherwise.

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #498 of 783
Hi, I have my own DAC already and I was wondering if I am able to use the "Analog out" from my DAC and pass it through the D1's "Analog In" (using RCA) and then use the tube pre-out on the D1 to connect to my amplifier. Would there be any issues with this particular setup? Would there by double-amping?

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #499 of 783
Hi, I have my own DAC already and I was wondering if I am able to use the "Analog out" from my DAC and pass it through the D1's "Analog In" (using RCA) and then use the tube pre-out on the D1 to connect to my amplifier. Would there be any issues with this particular setup? Would there by double-amping?

yup you can do that. won't have any problems :)

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #500 of 783

Quote:

Why not just get a tube amp? If you wanted tube sound, you'd be better off using an actual tube amp then a tube buffer.

And yes, I would think there would be double amping and connecting via analog-in would not go through the tube pre-out. I think the analog-in is similar to the Line-in connection at the front where it connects to the headphone stage to the headphone out.

Oct 25, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #501 of 783
Why not just get a tube amp? If you wanted tube sound, you'd be better off using an actual tube amp then a tube buffer.

And yes, I would think there would be double amping and connecting via analog-in would not go through the tube pre-out. I think the analog-in is similar to the Line-in connection at the front where it connects to the headphone stage to the headphone out.

Any signal going out via the tube pre out RCA port will go through the tube. It is different from the headphone circuitry.

There won't be double amping. The dac output at line signal level which is then fed to the D1 acting as a tube preamp.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #502 of 783

Quote:
The D1 does not have enough juice to power the LCD-2 to their full potentional, even with the Sun which I have used in mine.

D1 pumps out 2W, didn't know the LCD-2's were that hungry.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #503 of 783

Quote:

I do have a tube amp (Schiit Valhalla) which I intend to connect using the D1's Pre-amp out.. But If the signal goes through the amplifier of D1 then I wouldn't use the D1 as it would be double amping.. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #504 of 783

I got a similar question here,
My speaker has a built in amp (audioengine A5).
Can I connect my D1 tube output to my amp,
and then connect the amp with the speaker?
is that gonna emphasize the signal twice for my speaker?
Or should i connect the speaker with tubeoutput, and then use normal output to connect to my amp?

Quote:
yup you can do that. won't have any problems
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #505 of 783

Quote:
I got a similar question here,
My speaker has a built in amp (audioengine A5).
Can I connect my D1 tube output to my amp,
and then connect the amp with the speaker?
is that gonna emphasize the signal twice for my speaker?
Or should i connect the speaker with tubeoutput, and then use normal output to connect to my amp?

I don't quite get you.

A5 is an active speakers so the amp is inside the speaker. So how do you connect D1 to an amp which is then connected to your A5?

It is important to note that D1 is not an amp. You won't get the problem of double amping.
The problem of double amping will only occur if you use the headphone output 1/4 inch port at the front and hooked it up to another amp.

You should always use the 'Direct' button on the D1 whenever possible unless the need to use the volume control.
In this manner, the D1 only acts as a DAC/Source Selector/Tube Buffer.

You should connect the A5 directly to the D1 (tube or solid state output). This setup preserves the best SQ for your A5.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #506 of 783
If your getting problems through the tube pre-out and not the normal output make sure the tube is seated properly.  If it is ask for a replacement before shipping the entire thing back.

And ugh @ the A5's I am thinking of selling them and downgrading to the A2's.  They are a tad too boomy to me even with treatments to angle, stands ect ect.

Oct 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #507 of 783

Quote:
If your getting problems through the tube pre-out and not the normal output make sure the tube is seated properly.  If it is ask for a replacement before shipping the entire thing back.

And ugh @ the A5's I am thinking of selling them and downgrading to the A2's.  They are a tad too boomy to me even with treatments to angle, stands ect ect.

You too eh? I was thinking of upgrading my A2's to the A5's because I thought they were a bit boomy. Guess I should look around for other speaker brands

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #509 of 783
So, I got my D1 about a month ago, started picking some lossless audio, and I'm fairly pleased. Though I'm a bit curious about tubes. I keep hearing about them but I'm not sure what they do exactly. How does it affect my listening experience?

I currently own a pair of M50s and I'm looking into upgrading to a pair of DT880 600 Ohms or DT990 600 Ohms. 

Does anyone have have any experience with this combination? 

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #510 of 783
Just do it, they will probably be better than the  M50's for you.   Go to a place with a return policy like B&H in case you don't like them.

@A5', they are horrible little things.  I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back