Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
May 31, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #392 of 783
I've got a v2 D1 and it's pretty bright, I've put some tape over it and it's ok.

I would've thought the novelty of blue LEDs being "new and exciting" would've worn off by now. What's wrong with good old red?  :)

Maybe it's just a personal thing, I can disregard most colours of LED, but I find the blue ones too hard not to notice so I find them distracting, particularly if they're almost right in front of me. If Ryan is already using dimmer ones than my v2 has then that's "a good thing".

Perhaps I shouldn't be such a picky bugger. :)

May 31, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #393 of 783
Quote:
I've got a v2 D1 and it's pretty bright, I've put some tape over it and it's ok.

I would've thought the novelty of blue LEDs being "new and exciting" would've worn off by now. What's wrong with good old red?  :)

Maybe it's just a personal thing, I can disregard most colours of LED, but I find the blue ones too hard not to notice so I find them distracting, particularly if they're almost right in front of me. If Ryan is already using dimmer ones than my v2 has then that's "a good thing".

Perhaps I shouldn't be such a picky bugger. :)

Haha I am one who really likes blue LED. I guess it depends on your room furnishing also. If its all woody, then red/orange will be great.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #394 of 783
My main amp has 2 dim green leds placed on top of the amp, they don't disturb at all. the blue never disturbed me either. It's just a led, it's more important how the amp sounds :wink:

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #395 of 783
I've had my D1 with GE 5670 tube upgrade for about a month now. I did the LM4562 and LT1364 opamp upgrade right out of the box. I'm waiting for the Western Electric 396A/2C51 tube upgrade to show up in the mail. In the end I'll have about $285 into it. It's setup in my main system so the blue led fits right in with the other gear leds. In general I like the tube sound more than SS so I don't even use the SS out.

I'm using the line in on the D1 with the headphone out on my iPod (all files are flac) which makes a stunning improvement to SQ when compared to the iPod RCA dock input. I'm really happy with the function and features of this unit. It has plenty of headroom for my HD650's. I would probably need to spend > $1k to improve on the D1 so it is a great value as far as I'm concerned. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #397 of 783
Yes indeed! But... My turntable is plugged into the RCA input! ...Audio bliss!

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #399 of 783
So, I have my D1 hooked up to my PC by optical from my ASUS Xonar sound card. I noticed that if I mess with the software EQ it translates to the audio my speakers and cans pump out. This means that my sound card is doing the audio processing, so where does this leave my D1? Is the D1 post processing the sound after my sound card is processing it? Is there a way to bypass the sound card completely and just have the data sent through the optical cable directly to the D1?

I did notice a difference placing the D1 into my chain of devices so it's not like it's doing nothing at the moment, it has absolutely added life to the music. Music sounds MUCH better with the D1 in there doing its thing, but I'd like to leave the sound card out completely if possible (w/o using USB), or is it already set up that way and the software EQ has nothing to do with the Xonar processing the audio?

If it's not broke don't fix it?

I hope that makes sense, I can see how it might be confusing.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #400 of 783

Quote:
So, I have my D1 hooked up to my PC by optical from my ASUS Xonar sound card. I noticed that if I mess with the software EQ it translates to the audio my speakers and cans pump out. This means that my sound card is doing the audio processing, so where does this leave my D1? Is the D1 post processing the sound after my sound card is processing it? Is there a way to bypass the sound card completely and just have the data sent through the optical cable directly to the D1?

I did notice a difference placing the D1 into my chain of devices so it's not like it's doing nothing at the moment, it has absolutely added life to the music. Music sounds MUCH better with the D1 in there doing its thing, but I'd like to leave the sound card out completely if possible (w/o using USB), or is it already set up that way and the software EQ has nothing to do with the Xonar processing the audio?

If it's not broke don't fix it?

I hope that makes sense, I can see how it might be confusing.

What your software does is digital sound processing. It is not hardware sound processing and your xonar is not doing anything. It is just like how you can still EQ your songs in iTunes no matter what DAC you are using.

Your PC outputs the raw digital data via Xonar for analogue conversion at D1. Nothing has changed. You are only changing that raw digital data being outputted by your PC.

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #402 of 783
Does anyone know of some sort of switchbox for multiple RCA inputs for use with this?

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #404 of 783
I've been using AV source selector for these several months also...
It's definitely effective way to feed your D1 output to multiple devices and also give advantage for your single input amps.

Mine has 4 inputs and 2 outputs, it is supposed to multiply video signal also, but I left the yellow unused.
Been using the inputs to take signal from D1 tube and SS out, a mini-to-RCA for direct DAP, and preout from my LD MKIII.
Attach the outputs to my Bravo amp and DIY GC.
Something looks like this (the selector on pics only got one output tho):

Or you can also use a simple splitter like this (I use a gold plated one to split the tube pre-out to the RCA selector and direct to my LD MKIII):

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #405 of 783
I sold my Maverick D1 a couple of months ago, but for anybody who is using the USB input on their D1, the device for sale in my signature did more to improve my D1 sound quality than all of the tube and op-amp rolling I did put together.  The USB input of the D1 is its one really weak point, but if you use something like the Teralink X2 to go between your computer and the D1's S/PDIF inputs (I used coax), you can a huge boost in clarity, detail and lower noise for not much money.  Just FYI from a previous D1 owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back