Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
May 23, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #362 of 783

Quote:
Excellent. And I'm hoping this is going to fix the... uh, I think it was a problem with the DAC not actually being about to do 24-bit? Gosh it's been so long I've nearly forgot why I was holding back. lol

The DAC can do 24bit/96khz.

It is just that you will need Coaxial/Toslink input. Nothing to do with the DAC but it is the limitation of the USB interface.

May 23, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #363 of 783

Quote:
The DAC can do 24bit/96khz.

It is just that you will need Coaxial/Toslink input. Nothing to do with the DAC but it is the limitation of the USB interface.

Bingo. I think Ryan has definitely settled on the Tenor 24/96 USB chip so I'm sure it's safe to say that "feature" is set in stone. Anything else, who knows. D2 made it to pre-production but was recently sent back to the drawing board. The 3 month estimate is directly from Ryan himself.

Here's my Dropbox folder for the D2:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/head-fi/mav_d2_condensed/index.html
There's pictures and the beta forum post. Keep in mind, ANYTHING in there can change for the upcoming D2...

May 23, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #364 of 783
Wow BNC input. This is interesting. I like the new look too.

I would hope that Ryan will soon release an A2 amp too.

May 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #365 of 783
The D2 looks so fail though...

3 opamps on a circuit that has 2 outputs? What?
I would have expected the D2 to have a native USB of 24/192 already.

For the aimed retail price of $300, there are definitely much better products out there.

May 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #366 of 783

Quote:
The D2 looks so fail though...

3 opamps on a circuit that has 2 outputs? What?
I would have expected the D2 to have a native USB of 24/192 already.

For the aimed retail price of $300, there are definitely much better products out there.

I don't think it is correct to associate the number of outputs with the number of opamps used. Many single output preamp uses more than 1 opamp too (if they are opamp based)

I don't see much DAC in that price bracket with USB that supports 24/192khz. Not even DAC that costs more than twice or thrice its price.

Care to share some products?

May 23, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #367 of 783
im seriously throwing around the idea of ordering the D1.  My cans are srh840s and 770 32 ohm; anybody used either with the D1?  im pretty much down to this thing, the fubar III and e7/e9.

May 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #368 of 783

Quote:
im seriously throwing around the idea of ordering the D1.  My cans are srh840s and 770 32 ohm; anybody used either with the D1?  im pretty much down to this thing, the fubar III and e7/e9.

If you want one, I have mine for sale along with the Teralink X2 :) I can't comment on the cans, I don't recall seeing many other people use that combination.

May 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #369 of 783
Quote:
I don't think it is correct to associate the number of outputs with the number of opamps used. Many single output preamp uses more than 1 opamp too (if they are opamp based)

I don't see much DAC in that price bracket with USB that supports 24/192khz. Not even DAC that costs more than twice or thrice its price.

Care to share some products?

Well, 3 opamps on such a "pure dac" doesn't seem like the best choice.
I have no idea how 3 opamps would contribute more to the audio quality than a dedicated circuit with no opamps or 1 opamp.

The Musiland Monitor 02 US is a USB only DAC that supports 24/192. It goes for $125 USD on eBay. 
You can use it as a pure transport as well, as it has digital optical/coax out, as well as analog RCA out.
WAY cheaper than the D2 for $300.

May 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #370 of 783

Quote:
Well, 3 opamps on such a "pure dac" doesn't seem like the best choice.
I have no idea how 3 opamps would contribute more to the audio quality than a dedicated circuit with no opamps or 1 opamp.

The Musiland Monitor 02 US is a USB only DAC that supports 24/192. It goes for $125 USD on eBay. 
You can use it as a pure transport as well, as it has digital optical/coax out, as well as analog RCA out.
WAY cheaper than the D2 for $300.

The opamps' primary job is amplify the line audio signal when they leave the DAC towards the Amp. How they affect the sound is another story altogether. I am sure Ryan has a reason why he is using 3 of them.

Ok for Musiland Monitor 02. But I will not want to be tormented by drivers in order to have it worked and faces future compatibility issues should Musiland stop releasing driver updates for newer windows.

I don't see how 24bit/96khz can be a deal breaker considering the numbers of 192khz recordings out there. Even with 16bits/44khz (which most of our albums are) D1 sounded better than many other DAC in that price range. Further, it satisfies those who love tubey sound.

With that said, the headamp section really didn't do the DAC on D1 justice and I am sure that could be one of the reason that make many people think that D1 is not so good.

I find the D1, with a good tube, performed real good when compared to my StageDAC. I can't fault it at all.

This is why D2 has got me excited =)

May 24, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #371 of 783
I guess everyone has their own reasons! Well 3 opamps in the D2, so much amplification isn't all that good in some cases. I guess we'll see until the D2 is released what it's actually for haha.
Well I'm not as much as an audiophile as you uelover, so I wouldn't know if the D1 sounded as good as others! Also, I'm not a headphone guy haha.

As for the Musiland 02, the drivers actually WORK fine now.
I have no problems with the drivers at ALL.

They have latest driver releases for Win7 64bit too. Now their newest driver was only released in January 2011.
I'm pretty sure until Musiland makes any more changes, their drivers will stay as is now. Or until windows come with a new OS, Musiland will have to make new drivers. 
From the looks of their driver's dates, it's actually pretty progressive IMO.

I'm just saying, for $125, you can have a 24/192 transport! =P

May 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #372 of 783
Hi All.

Quick question. Can the D1 drive power hungry headphones e.g. HiFiMan HE 5 LE? I'm thinking of getting the HiFiMan cans and not sure whether I need to reconfigure my current setup to suit? Sounds like an expensive gesture.

Thanks in adv.
HF

May 26, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #373 of 783

Quote:
Hi All.

Quick question. Can the D1 drive power hungry headphones e.g. HiFiMan HE 5 LE? I'm thinking of getting the HiFiMan cans and not sure whether I need to reconfigure my current setup to suit? Sounds like an expensive gesture.

Thanks in adv.
HF

According to the specs online it can handle 600 ohm headphones. I've never tried anything above my 55ohm K240s though.

May 27, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #374 of 783
Ohh. So the D2 is going to be priced around $300? Hmm. That extra 100 changes a few things. There are many other options for $300. I had thought the d1 an awesome deal for 200, but held back because of the Bit limitation of the USB. However, if it's going to cost another 100 clams to not have the problem... Meh. Am I the only person that feels this way?

May 27, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #375 of 783
NoEars, don't count on it. That info is months and months old. I think the whole thing was tossed out the window. Who knows what features the real D2 will have and at what price point. I've been pretty satisfied with the Teralink X2 transport (for 96/24 out of USB) and D1 but it's time for me to move on and experience other audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back