Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
May 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #346 of 783
@ B-Dawk20: Why do you doubt something that many other people had used over the past 2 years? The usage of LT1364CN8 and LM4562NA started from Zero DAC/Amp which is much earlier than Maverick D1. In any case D1 will sound bad for iems and low impedance highly sensitive headphones - my TF10 sounded much better from my mac headphone jack than from Maverick D1 headphone output.

May 6, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #347 of 783

Quote:
@ B-Dawk20: Why do you doubt something that many other people had used over the past 2 years? The usage of LT1364CN8 and LM4562NA started from Zero DAC/Amp which is much earlier than Maverick D1. In any case D1 will sound bad for iems and low impedance highly sensitive headphones - my TF10 sounded much better from my mac headphone jack than from Maverick D1 headphone output.

I'm not doubting...just pessimistic is all. I've never been one for good luck lol. I actually think it sounds pretty good with my AD700s though. I know no better mind you but I do know much worse heh. I just don't like getting my hopes up for much or things to go right. I think being a philly sports fan has banged that into my head over time. Realistically nothing should go wrong and after a few hours of listening, nothing is wrong. The bass is definitely better. More controlled and prevalent with my basslite ADs. I don't know if burn in is needed for op amps but I am satisfied with the purchase so far. I'll have to listen further in though.

My real reason for the D1 though is to be able to have my future upgrades have a decent amp and DAC for them. I know the HD650s were used in testing and they are one of the cans I want to purchase one day so I'm happy about that. I also want a pair of M50's but I haven't heard anything of their compatibility with this amp. They aren't very sensitive though so I'd imagine they wouldn't suffer from that issue.

But anyway, I wasn't trying to doubt anyone's info, I just don't have the most positive mindset sometimes.

May 11, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #348 of 783
I don't know if it has been posted earlier, but can't find the answer so here it is:

I recently bought an iMac (the new 2011 version) and connected the Maverick to it by toslink.
But I often hear a click coming from the Maverick, with some short static noise coming from the speakers or headphones.
When I had Windows I heard it only when it booted, according to me it changes from frequency or 16/24bit.
It's normal, but OSX apperently changes these settings depending on which which program makes the sound.
Apperently there isn't 1 global output signal, is there a way lock the output signal to 24-bit 96khz like you can in Windows, so it doesn't change all the time resulting in that click and noise.

Thanks

May 11, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #349 of 783
Don't think you can lock the output rate to certain value on Mac unless you use an external upsampling device or use USB output.

The 'clicking' sound is on the Maverick D1 is normal.

May 12, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #350 of 783
anyone can tell me how much power does D1 consume?
I've been planning to buy a backup UPS for my audio setup,
still counting the needed power and stuck with the D1
wink.gif

can't find it on mav-audio.com either.

TIA guys.

May 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #351 of 783
Quote:
anyone can tell me how much power does D1 consume?
I've been planning to buy a backup UPS for my audio setup,
still counting the needed power and stuck with the D1
wink.gif

can't find it on mav-audio.com either.

TIA guys.

I have one of those AC wattage usage monitors that you plug in, and it says the D1 is using, fluxuating between 11.6 - 12.1 watts idle or in use.

I pushed the direct button to allow max volume to my amp, and it still shows the same reading.

I've always wondered myself too haha.
You're welcome.

May 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #352 of 783

Quote:
I have one of those AC wattage usage monitors that you plug in, and it says the D1 is using, fluxuating between 11.6 - 11.9 watts idle or in use.

I pushed the direct button to allow max volume to my amp, and it still shows the same reading.

I've always wondered myself too haha.
You're welcome.

Oh wow thanks for your reply bro
wink.gif

Slightly surprising that such a product only consumes less than 20W right?
Yeah but anyway, it's a headphone amp, not a speaker's

May 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #353 of 783
Quote:
Oh wow thanks for your reply bro
wink.gif

Slightly surprising that such a product only consumes less than 20W right?
Yeah but anyway, it's a headphone amp, not a speaker's

Oh no no, I mean allow max volume to be passed to the outputs.

Actually, I was watching Smallville Season 10 EP 20 last night, and mid way I checked the meter, and it showed 12.1 max. 
Such a cliffhanger the episode was. :frowning2:

May 17, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #354 of 783
I try to have some simple mods on caps (panasonic,elna silmic,cerafine,nichicon fine gold,russia pio k-75) and telefunken diodes + opamp (LME49720HA+LT1384) & tube raytheon 5670

I hear that it's so much different with stock D1..so happy to have it modded :D

1.jpg

May 18, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #356 of 783

Quote:
Just to remind everyone that the Maverick D1 now only costs $199.

Everyone at the FS forum should stop selling 2nd hand at retail price

Wasn't it always like that for the basic version? The upgraded tube version still is $219 without shipping so I think the ones in the FS are still worth it as they're all upgraded with tubes and opamps

May 18, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #357 of 783
Well that depends. Hasn't it been at $199 for the stock version for a long while now?

There's not much Maverick Audio stuff being sold actually in FS forum.

Even if there is, some come with expensive upgrades such as the WE396A tube, which is pretty much $40 for a NOS one.

The D1's in the FS forum are within reason. I GUESS it pretty much depends on the condition of the unit and what it comes with.

May 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #358 of 783

Users who are viewing this thread

Back