Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #242 of 783
Quote:
Anyone find it weird that my dac made a clicking noise from the unit itself after installing the 3rd party driver? The unit made a clicking sounds like a relay whenever I did anything. Could it have done any damage?

The driver was publicized prematurely, and has been withdrawn by ninjikiran, who recommends that it not be installed further, and uninstalled from any computer currently using it.  He talked me through how to do it myself via PM, quite an accomplishment:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/470639/maverick-audio-tubemagic-d1-dac-amp-condensed-faq-and-info-thread/225#post_7196143

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #243 of 783
Hi guys,

I'm on the lookout for a new DAC and I think I'm choosing between either the Maverick D1 or the Firestone Spitfire. I will probably be plugging the new DAC into my Macbook Pro via optical, and then plug the DAC into my Cantate. I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with these two DACs? The Tube pre-amp of the Maverick also looks like a pretty juicy extra that the Spitfire doesn't feature. I've never used a pre-amp, so I'm not exactly sure what this would offer me in terms of sound quality. 

Oh also, if I do use the Maverick D1 as a pre-amp and DAC, do I use the volume knob on the D1 or my Cantate? Do I simply not worry about the volume knob on the D1 as it will be bypassed?

If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #244 of 783
Haven't heard both but I can answer some of your questions:
Using Mav as a pre-amp/DAC, you can choose to bypass the volume knob if you want (direct button).  By the way, I use the same setup as you described (mac optical out) and it is amazing =]

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm on the lookout for a new DAC and I think I'm choosing between either the Maverick D1 or the Firestone Spitfire. I will probably be plugging the new DAC into my Macbook Pro via optical, and then plug the DAC into my Cantate. I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with these two DACs? The Tube pre-amp of the Maverick also looks like a pretty juicy extra that the Spitfire doesn't feature. I've never used a pre-amp, so I'm not exactly sure what this would offer me in terms of sound quality. 

Oh also, if I do use the Maverick D1 as a pre-amp and DAC, do I use the volume knob on the D1 or my Cantate? Do I simply not worry about the volume knob on the D1 as it will be bypassed?

If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #248 of 783
The weird thing is, when using the 3rd party drivers, I could control the volume through the Windows Volume mixer.

Now I'm back to the default driver and it completely bypasses it and the stepped pot is a bit too loud. Anyone got a fix?

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #249 of 783

Quote:
The weird thing is, when using the 3rd party drivers, I could control the volume through the Windows Volume mixer.

Now I'm back to the default driver and it completely bypasses it and the stepped pot is a bit too loud. Anyone got a fix?

Put a signal convertor in between the D1 and your pc so the Dac isn't recognized directly by your pc (maybe you have one?). There must be some other option, but I'm not that technically equiped, sorry. I never installed any other driver, and my windows wav slider and the volume slider in foobar always worked

Feb 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #251 of 783
so i am utterly confused with this driver business for the D1.

i am using the C-media one that was posted by a head-fier. now i read that i shouldn't use that one anymore because it could potentially damage the D1...

so what is it? I really want to use this D1 at 24bit/96khz via USB, but with the Windows driver in my laptop I can only get 16-48khz. do i need to switch something else up in the configuration? the realtek driver in the computer says it is capable of up to 32bit-192kHZ. but maybe I am miss understanding that.

I don't know what to do. i went back to the C-media driver because it says it is running the D1 through ASIO at 24bit/96khz. and that is what I want.

so, is this clicking really going to harm the unit? has anyone contacted Maverick Audio about this, to get the official word? what is the clicking noise anyways?

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #252 of 783
The USB receiver is not built for anything other than 16/48khz.

It results in clicking of sample rate  in every song as well as strange intermitant clicks.  Don't know whats going on but I am pretty sure that is not a desirable effect.

There are switches in the dac chip I am assuming which makes that audible click and its perfectly ok when switching between 44/88 and 48/96 over spdif. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #254 of 783
Hi everyone,

Today, I received my Maverick D1.
I planned to cennect it by toslink, but something isn't going quite well.

Probably it's a cable or Windows fault, but anyway I need help and maybe some of you could help me:

When I connect it by toslink, and go to the settings in Windows (7 64bit), I can only select 16-bit frequencies 
confused.gif
)
So that is 16-44,1khz, 16-48khz, 16-88,2khz 16-96khz, 16-176,4khz, 16-192khz.
Why no 24 bit?? Well, then I selected 16-96khz because the D1 should accept 96khz, but NO!
Noise and distortion is all I can hear, the only frequencies that work are 16-44,8khz and 16-48khz.

Why is that? Why can't I select 24-bit and why won't it go any higher then 16-48khz?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back