Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (DAC/Amp) - Condensed FAQ and Info Thread
Nov 17, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #196 of 783
A DAC signifies Digital to Analog conversion.  Turning 1's and 0's into an electrical signal that headphones(dynamic) can translate into vibrations which our ears translate into sound.

Meaning any digital output is digital, and going into a DAC will be converted to analog.  On the PS3 that means rather than using the internal DAC it's going out straight digital, otherwise it would go digital--->Analog--->digital which wouldn't make too much sense.

Quote:
Quick question, If you plug in the D1 to the PS3 via TOSLINK,
Does it still use the DAC or does it still use the PS3 DAC and just goes through the D1's amp stage?

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #197 of 783
Hi all,
I used Mav A1 for about a month now and the A1 had been "Break in" for more than 100 hours already. I hooked up Mav A1 to CD player out, from Mav A1 to 60 Watt 8000s act as a preamp. From 8000s to 70 Wattt Arcam 900D power amp and drive speakers. I noticed MAV A1 sound good with headphone(Beyerdnamic DT880) directly from MAV A1 headphone output jack but from Audiolab 8000s itsound a bit dull and with Arcam Powe amp headphone output jack it sound slightly beter.
While listening speakers with Mav A1 in the line, I did not get significant improvement. Did my set up to much with audiolab 8000s in between which is solid state amplifier and caused signal lost ? Can I connect Mav A1 after Audiolab 8000s before feed to Arcam Powe amp? Which set up can prevail the best of Mav A1....? thanks.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #198 of 783
HI Wahab,

for every single thing you add in between your source (cd player) and your speaker, you will have signal loss through the cables as well as through equipments.

not sure why you would want to have 2 preamps in between your power amp and your cd player unless you want the tube sound in your speaker line up.

removing either your audiolab 8000s or a1 will improve the SQ.

if you want to have both preamp in your system, i would suggest putting cd player --> audiolab --> a1 --> power amp --> speaker

however, i am not sure how much watt A1 can take as input so you would better check with Ryan =)

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #199 of 783
Thank U uelover,
Well, Mav A1 is the latest stuff in that I bought. Not wanting to waste what I already have, I just add it into my system.
Yes, i have a thaught as your mention...let me check with Ryan of Maverick if it can be done!

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #200 of 783
hi.
my name is mark.
and i just purchased a maverick audio d1.

and i am using it, it just arrived today.
i am happy with it.

...so far.

but there seems to be a little problem with the unit...
something that i cannot understand.

i plug the macbook pro with the d1 using the usb-optical cable.
no problem there.
my active speakers are audioengine brand. active/powered speakers.
no problem there also.
using all output/input seems to be fine.
no problem there.
all the cables are fine.
so no problem there also.
now, i am using a 3.5mm jack-rca cable to the audio out of mav audio.
3.mm jack into the audioengine and rca out from the mav audio d1.

here...
is where the problem occurs.
there are two OUT for the d1.
one is for the TUBE PRE OUT.
and one is for the SS (solid state) normal out.

now, listen.
whenever i use the normal out everything seems fine on my speakers.
they are NORMAL.
no problem there.
they sounded good. fine.

BUT, WHENEVER I USE TUBE PRE-OUT, THE LEFT SPEAKER'S SOUND IS DISTORTED AND THE SOUND ON THE LEFT SEEMS TO BE WRONG.
NO VOICE, IF THERE IS...IT IS ONLY 20% OF THE VOICE. IT SHOULD BE 100% FOR IT TO BE BALANCE TOGETHER ALONG WITH THE RIGHT.
THE LEFT SPEAKER USING TUBE PRE OUT...
THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG HERE.
THAT I DIDNT UNDERSTAND.
THERE IS NO RULE IN THE AUDIO OR EVEN ON REVIEWS THAT I READ THAT THERE WOULD BE A DISTORTION THAT WOULD OCCUR.
THE SOUND ON THE LEFT USING TUBE PRE-OUT, THE SOUND IS "LOWER" THAN THE RIGHT PART in terms of VOLUME LOUDNESS. NOT BALANCE in VOLUME.
and there is an audible DISTORTION only on the LEFT PART.

whenever i return the connection back to the SS/NORMAL out, everything returns back to good sounding. all is normal. all is fine. no distortion or whatsoever. or anything.
please....help.

...i am wondering if there is wrong with the unit using the tube pre out for powered speakers.

...thanks.
hoping to hear from you soon.
hoping to get some help to some fellow brothers here.

would be happy to listen.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #201 of 783
sounds like the tube inside your unit could be faulty. simple as that.

the difference between the tube out and the normal out is that for the tube out, there is an extra vacuum tube in the pathway and the audio signal passes through that before coming out of D1.

you may want to change the tube. i believe the problem will be solved.

Nov 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #204 of 783
He is very kind indeed, he sent me replacement tubes as well even knowing that I didn't purchase my D1 off of him directly.  (I bought from another head-fier), he still sent me a free replacement.  Phenomenal customer service =]

Quote:
^thanks uelover, gonna try that.
will wait for the new tube to be sent to me by the generous ryan.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #205 of 783
This is kind of off-topic, but I'm wondering what kinds of opamps would give a heavier bass response. As of now, I've looked at the LM4562 for the amp opamp and the LT1364 for the DAC opamp. But from what I've read, this will give a more flat response, opposed to a bass heavy response, which is what I'm going for to accompany my K701. Thanks!

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #206 of 783

Quote:
This is kind of off-topic, but I'm wondering what kinds of opamps would give a heavier bass response. As of now, I've looked at the LM4562 for the amp opamp and the LT1364 for the DAC opamp. But from what I've read, this will give a more flat response, opposed to a bass heavy response, which is what I'm going for to accompany my K701. Thanks!

I hear the OPA627 is good with bass. I've never tried one though.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #207 of 783
I'll be honest with you before going for opamp I would sell back the K701's and try other headphones in the price bracket because opamps aren't goign to make a huge warmth difference...

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #208 of 783

Quote:

I found the LM4562 grating  and while  the LT1364 is not too bad in the DAC , the OPA2107 in both the amp and DAC would give you alot more bass.  It definitely tames the treble and gives much help in the bass region.  

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #210 of 783

Quote:
I found the LM4562 grating  and while  the LT1364 is not too bad in the DAC , the OPA2107 in both the amp and DAC would give you alot more bass.  It definitely tames the treble and gives much help in the bass region.  

Exactly how much bass is "alot more bass."? Also, what is the difference between Through Hole and Surface Mount? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back