Matrix M-Stage signal strength [dB] with low-Z phones (Denon D2000, ~25 ohm) at 20 Hz
Jan 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

TomKure

Head-Fier
Hello. I have an unusual request. Could anyone measure the signal output of the M-Stage to a low-Z (16 - 32 ohm, ideally 25 ohm, like the D2000) at 20 Hz?
Explanation: I have the D2000 and the Graham Slee NOVO and while the sound is really great, sometimes, when I listen to electronic music like dnb, I feel that the headphone output of my EMU 0404USB has a slightly stronger (yet muddier) sub-bass. So I measured the Novo using RMAA with the D2000 in parallel using a Y plug, and I saw a slightly rolled-off bass, -1dB @ 40Hz, -2dB @ 26Hz and -3dB @ 21Hz. I know it is barely noticeable, and I much prefer the Novo with the D2000 than the EMU's headphone out, but in dnb the bass punch is really important. I don't listen to dnb much, I listen mostly to alt. rock and with rock the bass of the EMU's headphone out is too muddy and uncontrolled, but still I'd like to buy the M-Stage if it is good with the Denons, especially if it gives more sub-bass below 40Hz than the Novo with them. I would also like to try to drive my 600 ohm DT770 with it and compare the sound to the Novo, which drives them really well IMO, but the volume knob has to be at 2 'o clock or more, which is a bit too close to maximum IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back