Matrix M-Stage questions
Nov 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Doppz

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the AKG k702s and am really enjoying them. I previously had the Audio Technica AD700s and was playing them right off my uDAC (first generation). I'm playing the 702s off of the uDAC for now, and they sound great (as in, much better than the AD700s -- I haven't tried many high-end headphones). However, I've heard a lot about sounding even better with proper amping. After some looking around, I've almost settled on buying the Matrix M-Stage (as I've seen a lot of threads around here give them good reviews especially when paired with the 702s), but I have a few questions that I would first like to get clarified.

First off, would this be a good combination? My setup would be uDAC > M-Stage > AKG 702s. I also have a set of M-Audio Bx5a monitors, I could run those off of the M-stage, as well, correct? The two line inputs seem very helpful to me, too, as I then run both the uDAC and my turntable off the M-Stage.

I've also read about modding the op-amps in the M-Stage. I noticed that on Tam Audio's website that they offer a version of the M-Stage with the modding done already (albeit for a slight increase in price). Would it be worth it to get that one, instead? There's another version that includes a USB DAC, but I wouldn't need that because I have the uDAC, correct? I would imagine that the uDAC would be a better DAC than the one in the M-Stage, but I do not know for certain.

Lastly, are there any other amps that I should consider in this price range? I was looking at the FiiO e9, the Schiit Asgard and the Little Dot MkIV along with the M-Stage. From what I've read, though, the M-Stage seems to be the best for me, as it pairs especially well with the AKG 702s. Also, I am aware that there are definitely better amps out there, but I'm trying to limit my budget to around $250, with a $300 maximum.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 2
I'm getting M-stage DAC version, as I don't need two RCA inputs and the price for the integrated DAC is very cheap ($30).  I will mod the op-amps seperately (not a bundled order).  I think if you ask for preinstalled opamps you lose the original chip (lose $). 

I previously had the E9 and I thought it did alright with the Q701s.  I had to return it as I'm getting a new dac that doesn't work well with it. 

I've read more positive impressions on the K701 + m-stage then K701 + asgard.  In fact I've read negative impressions on that combo, while m-stage is always positive. 

I've read some negative things about uDAC in tests done on it, so I suspect that that would be a weak link in your chain.  You may want to go with the DAC m-stage (if you don't need dual RCA inputs) in case it does outperform the uDAC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back