Matrix M-Stage, Burson HA-160, or M3???
Jun 12, 2010 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mr Joboto

Headphoneus Supremus
So let's say my main cans are going to be an Alessandro MS-Pro (Grado RS-1) and a 600-ohm Beyer DT880, so therefore both easy and hard to drive cans, and I have potential plans to drive something like the T1 in the future, which one of these would be my best bet? 

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 17
I have heard the Burson HA-160 with Grado RS-2, Grado GS-1000, Grado HF-2, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm and Beyerdynamic T1. Surprisingly, all sounded fantastic with it. Very detailed and no issues with volume etc. The Burson is also very well made and of course, made here in Australia 
biggrin.gif
 I loved it when I had it loaned to me for a week and never found it too bright with my Grado's. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 17
Mate for an Aussie the choice should be easy!  Burson represents great value given it sells in the US for $699USD. 
Almost any other commercial amp in the price range you will be paying at least $100 extra due to the fact it is made overseas and imported here.
I'd say take advantage of the local pricing on the Aussie made amp. 

I had a DT880 which I sold due to it sounding just a tad dull compared to my other phones.  Well suffice to say I will be buying a DT880 in  the near future as I am sure
the burson can awaken them from their slumber. The burson is mentioned in all the recent amp reviews at 6 moons and it is always praised for competing with
amps twice it's price.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Mate for an Aussie the choice should be easy!  Burson represents great value given it sells in the US for $699USD. 
Almost any other commercial amp in the price range you will be paying at least $100 extra due to the fact it is made overseas and imported here.
I'd say take advantage of the local pricing on the Aussie made amp. 

I had a DT880 which I sold due to it sounding just a tad dull compared to my other phones.  Well suffice to say I will be buying a DT880 in  the near future as I am sure
the burson can awaken them from their slumber. The burson is mentioned in all the recent amp reviews at 6 moons and it is always praised for competing with
amps twice it's price.

I feel the price is very steep, there are quite a few amps out there way lower in price and better performance.
Burson is highly marked up,it is similar to buying audio gear from a store like audiophile.com.au.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 17
I get the feeling that you have a personal issue with them.
You were keen to get a review sample from them and they
probably told you "no" and ever since you have gone into
every thread that mentions burson to spread your "opinion"
which is based on what? Listening to it for a few minutes at
a meet? Sorry if I can't take you seriously.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 17
I've heard the Maverick M Stage and was quite impressed with it for the money. Even with shipping to Oz it should come in under $400USD. It has different gain settings to better match driving easy or difficult cans.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 17
Yeah, I was going to snap up the Burson but there's been a lot of options that popped up just as I was prepping my budget for the hit. Ahhhh, decisions!

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Yeah, I was going to snap up the Burson but there's been a lot of options that popped up just as I was prepping my budget for the hit. Ahhhh, decisions!

I feel you could get the Burson but would probaably recommend doing your research before getting it,not an impressive amp-with average performance but having a mid-fi price.

Please visite audiophilechina.com, there aresome options there which would cost half as much and perform better if not same to the burson.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 17
Well Australia does charge a lot of money for its products. But the Burson is very well made and a great amp if you have good headphones to listen to it with. I would be happy to pay $500 for it (used or new, don't care), but wouldn't spend too much more than that for any amp, unless it was like a B22 or something. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

My advice would be to go through Burson directly.  They can give you a good price and also make sure to get 1 of the newest batch which has some of the old
issues fixed (i suspect some retailers are still getting rid of the older stock)
I listened to an older model and it sounded bright and harsh to me but the newer model which has been optimised for low impedance phones sounded more smooth in the treble.
It is very possible that people who have poor impressions of it have only listened to the old stock.  Anyway good luck with your research and purchase.

Jun 13, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 17
Burson wins by the virtue of the slickest case...
tongue.gif
Unless you get some crazy DIY housing for the M^3

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 17
Hmm, what to do, what to do. I'll keep reading, but for the moment it does seem like a toss-up between the Burson and the M-Stage. The M-Stage is half the Burson price, which means that I can fit a new Gamma2 in for the same price. Then again, I'm sure an M3 would come in around the same price anyways. So im back to square one :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Hmm, what to do, what to do. I'll keep reading, but for the moment it does seem like a toss-up between the Burson and the M-Stage. The M-Stage is half the Burson price, which means that I can fit a new Gamma2 in for the same price. Then again, I'm sure an M3 would come in around the same price anyways. So im back to square one :frowning2:

lol. well, I'm receiving my M-stage pretty soon; if ya in Perth, you could test out your setup if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back