Matrix Element S - finally a dedicated streamer from Matrix!
Dec 14, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #122 of 160
Yes, latest firmware and app. It seems to be working fine now, for the last several hours. I can still connect to the S and put it into and out of standby using the red power button on the device controls portion of the app.

I must have had either a loose power connection or some kind of magnetic interference causing the unit to get shut off when I repositioned it after making settings changes on the local UI.

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #125 of 160
Hi there.

Are you planning to post a formal review?

Yes I'll do a review at some point. It might be a bit truncated since we've already got almost 10 pages of info/discussion built up in this thread, but I'll at least get some final thoughts once I've used the new firmware with Roon for a while.

Dec 16, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #126 of 160
DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3202.jpg

So far so good with Roon! Right now listening to Ezra Collective and Cellestial Intelligence (both highly recommended) with the Element S feeding a Cayin CS-100DAC, then out to the Pass Labs HPA-1 and a ZMF Caldera. Delightful!

If the Element S could have done this right from the beginning it would have saved me some frustration. But better late than never I suppose. And the non-Roon experience with MA Remote is better/more stable than it used to be as well, so there's that.

Dec 16, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #128 of 160
DSCF3170.jpg

DSCF3202.jpg

So far so good with Roon! Right now listening to Ezra Collective and Cellestial Intelligence (both highly recommended) with the Element S feeding a Cayin CS-100DAC, then out to the Pass Labs HPA-1 and a ZMF Caldera. Delightful!

If the Element S could have done this right from the beginning it would have saved me some frustration. But better late than never I suppose. And the non-Roon experience with MA Remote is better/more stable than it used to be as well, so there's that.
I also noticed the MA remote app improved.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #129 of 160
Hello, I am a new user of this forum.
Ended up here for more information about the Matrix Audio Element S.

I purchased this streamer from Magna Hifi after Roon certification more than a week ago. Bought this streamer a bit on the gamble, because of the beautiful appearance and the specifications of the Element S. I connected the streamer via an AQ Carbon Coax cable to the internal DA2 dac of the McIntosh MA8950 amplifier that reproduces the sound on a pair of Dynaudio Confidence 20 speakers. I am an enthusiastic Roon user and somewhat disappointed in the current sound quality of Roon in Tidal playback. Roon compatibility with new Tidal HiRes FLAC is a part of the Roon forum platform. The transition to Tidal Hires Flac is underway at Roon. Due to a lack of communication, no date of realization is known. I come to this by testing the streamer Element S, you want to know what you bought. Setting up the streamer went fairly smoothly, the MA app is reasonable. Setting up in Roon is more difficult, S does not play all MQA. If you click on default device settings in Roon, everything will work fine. Sound quality is reasonable, a bit 'foggy', voices on top of each other, too low, instruments are less distinguishable, in short, it was not worth it. When I switched on Tidal connect it happened.......placement was there, sound image clear with lots of dynamics, the bass super tight and defined, Element S in its Element so to speak, device has a very good sound quality with Tidal Connect which is not much inferior to the more recent Auralics etc. To give an impression of value, I set Tidal Connect to 100%, Roon 88% and Spotify to 70%. So until the transition of Tidal Hires Flac at Roon is complete, we will have to make do. I continue to find it strange that Tidal no longer changes the structure of their app towards Roon or Spotify, I think the Tidal app is really worthless.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #131 of 160
Hello, I am a new user of this forum.
Ended up here for more information about the Matrix Audio Element S.

I purchased this streamer from Magna Hifi after Roon certification more than a week ago. Bought this streamer a bit on the gamble, because of the beautiful appearance and the specifications of the Element S. I connected the streamer via an AQ Carbon Coax cable to the internal DA2 dac of the McIntosh MA8950 amplifier that reproduces the sound on a pair of Dynaudio Confidence 20 speakers. I am an enthusiastic Roon user and somewhat disappointed in the current sound quality of Roon in Tidal playback. Roon compatibility with new Tidal HiRes FLAC is a part of the Roon forum platform. The transition to Tidal Hires Flac is underway at Roon. Due to a lack of communication, no date of realization is known. I come to this by testing the streamer Element S, you want to know what you bought. Setting up the streamer went fairly smoothly, the MA app is reasonable. Setting up in Roon is more difficult, S does not play all MQA. If you click on default device settings in Roon, everything will work fine. Sound quality is reasonable, a bit 'foggy', voices on top of each other, too low, instruments are less distinguishable, in short, it was not worth it. When I switched on Tidal connect it happened.......placement was there, sound image clear with lots of dynamics, the bass super tight and defined, Element S in its Element so to speak, device has a very good sound quality with Tidal Connect which is not much inferior to the more recent Auralics etc. To give an impression of value, I set Tidal Connect to 100%, Roon 88% and Spotify to 70%. So until the transition of Tidal Hires Flac at Roon is complete, we will have to make do. I continue to find it strange that Tidal no longer changes the structure of their app towards Roon or Spotify, I think the Tidal app is really worthless.
I found that weird because even with Tidal Connect you're not getting HiRes files (as with Roon). Maybe you're using some DSP in Roon that make the sound so different to your ears?

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #132 of 160
I found that weird because even with Tidal Connect you're not getting HiRes files (as with Roon). Maybe you're using some DSP in Roon that make the sound so different to your ears?
Roon settings are in accordance with device settings that Matrix recommends, so no DSD. Roon compatibility with new Tidal HiRes FLAC is a part of the Roon forum platform, Roon is working on the transition of this and this is not yet applicable. Tidal via Roon does not sound great, according to the Roon forum there are more and more people who are saying goodbye to Roon because of this or are looking for other platforms, such as the Aurender app. Just extended my Roon annual subscription again with a 20% price increase.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #133 of 160
Roon settings are in accordance with device settings that Matrix recommends, so no DSD. Roon compatibility with new Tidal HiRes FLAC is a part of the Roon forum platform, Roon is working on the transition of this and this is not yet applicable. Tidal via Roon does not sound great, according to the Roon forum there are more and more people who are saying goodbye to Roon because of this or are looking for other platforms, such as the Aurender app. Just extended my Roon annual subscription again with a 20% price increase.
I was not aware of Matrix-recommended Roon settings. Can you share those?

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #134 of 160
Hello, one question, do you hear a quality difference between Roon and Tidal Connect?

I have mainly been using my own library from the NAS a lot lately, so I can't say I've spent any significant time with Tidal via Roon on the Element S. Certainly not with any critical listening. I will have to see if I can try it out when I get a chance to listen for any discrepancy.

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #135 of 160
I was not aware of Matrix-recommended Roon settings. Can you share those?
RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport) RAAT is linked to Roon's signal path function. After Roon examined and tested the Element S, it was given the status of Roon Ready. Through Roon Partners you can visit Matrix Audio and see which 'feature' each Matrix product has. The Element S is a Bridge (Streamer without Dac), with only 1 task to send a digital signal from A to B without affecting the signal. As soon as Element S has been recognized in Roon, the signal path becomes clear via RAAT, so via which connection, e.g. via Coax, USB, Optical, etc., is the Element S connected to which type of external DAC, this is how the Device settings for the Element S are entered. your setup. This can be adjusted manually in Device Settings, but this no longer guarantees the quality of the radio settings for the device, these can be set again with the Load Default Settings option! After which the settings are reset to Roon quality requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back