Matrix Element S - finally a dedicated streamer from Matrix!
Sep 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #62 of 160
Matrix a peut-être résolu le problème de plantage avec l'application distante MA. J'ai réinstallé l'application via Google Play Store ce matin et elle est stable et fonctionne sans crash. Je croise les doigts.
+ 1

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #63 of 160
I'm fed up with Matrix Audio ignoring requests for updates to the Roon certification for the Element S. We have been told that certification is forthcoming soon and that Matrix Audio is working on a small bug, but that is obviously not the case.

I'm coming to the realization that there is something seriously wrong with the Element S and that perhaps Matrix will be unable to get Roon certification or is too inept to resolve the "small bug" identified by Roon.

This is astonishing given that "Roon Ready" certification is a central selling point of the Element S.

On top of that, it looks like Matrix has now chosen to just ignore their customers altogether. No update from Matrix for over a month, despite requests asking for a status update.

Matrix has shown awful customer service and very poor execution and implementation of the Element S. I've stopped using the Element S and have lost trust in Matrix Audio. I will NOT be buying any more Matrix products. There are a number of competing options in the streaming space that are doing a much better job of execution and implementation.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #64 of 160
I just placed as order from Apos for the Matrix Audio Streamer S.

I'll update the thread with my impressions. I'm not a Roon user, Tidal Connect serves me fine. All the different digital outs including i2S, which I'll feed my Denafrips Ares 12 Anniversary was the deciding factor for me over the competition. Fingers crossed it works out.

I just filed a return request with APOS for my streamer.

The Tidal Connect feature isn't as smooth as my previous budget streamer, but it worked well enough. Setting up i2s to my Denafrips Ares 12th Anniversary was easy enough.

The sound upgrade seem minor, but I thought it removed a glare from certain songs. The reason for the return is that with the latest firmware, now the opening of the first song often plays garbled. I switched back to my old streamer and it doesn't reproduce the problem. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's happens enough and it's one of those bugs I find unacceptable. This has never happened once in more than a year with my previous streamer.

I wanted to like the product, but with this bug, I want to return it while still in the return window.

Update: Thanksfully APOS did not charge me a 20% restocking fee. I thought I was out $300 on a buggy piece of hardware

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #65 of 160
I've only had mine for 24 hours, but i can already tell it's better than the Pi based Volumio streamer and Everdolo DMP-A6 i previously had. For me it seams to be the best streamer in it's price range. There doesn't seem to be many purely streamers out there, most seem to come with DACS and or amplifiers.

Setup was a a breeze, just turnded it on with a wired ethernet connection started the app, it found is straight away and i was up and running. There is a slight delay upon the very first boot up as it scans your music collection on the external SSD.

Qobuz works a treat as does airplay.

I presume it's roon ready as it's on the app and mine came with a 60 day free trial. (Not gonna try it, as the idea for paying to access your music seems dumb, when you have a functional app, but each to their own).

The only thing that seems flakey is the radio section, but i've not listed to the radio for at least 20 years, so no great loss to me.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #66 of 160
I've only had mine for 24 hours, but i can already tell it's better than the Pi based Volumio streamer and Everdolo DMP-A6 i previously had. For me it seams to be the best streamer in it's price range. There doesn't seem to be many purely streamers out there, most seem to come with DACS and or amplifiers.

Setup was a a breeze, just turnded it on with a wired ethernet connection started the app, it found is straight away and i was up and running. There is a slight delay upon the very first boot up as it scans your music collection on the external SSD.

Qobuz works a treat as does airplay.

I presume it's roon ready as it's on the app and mine came with a 60 day free trial. (Not gonna try it, as the idea for paying to access your music seems dumb, when you have a functional app, but each to their own).

The only thing that seems flakey is the radio section, but i've not listed to the radio for at least 20 years, so no great loss to me.
What DAC and connection type are you using?

Oct 6, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #68 of 160
Last I read (within the past few weeks or so) on the Roon forums, Element S was still not certified. Apparently Matrix has some more bugs to squash prior to receiving the approval. So those of us who rely on Roon continue waiting... and some actually moved on already despite loving the hardware.

I am fortunate enough to have other options here but I can see why some people are frustrated enough to move on from the Element S, regardless of how great the hardware might be. Here's hoping the update comes sooner than later!

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #70 of 160
OK, i've found an issue.

This is the same if the music is on an external SSD or a network drive.

I have ripped all my cd's and have them all organised into Artist folders, then cd title folders.

An example of the issue. I select a folder that has 4 tracks, however it will not play all the tracks in the folder i selected. if the tracks are also included in another album folder, it will play that other one instead. I have one song where there are 5 different versions over multiple albums, but for each of them it will only play one version of that track. I can look at the file info and even tells you its pointing tot the wrong file !!

This is happening with every track, which has 2 or more versions of that track.

As far as I can tell, it looks like the initial scan starts from the bottom of the directory tree and works it's way to the top and uses the songs meta data to play tracks, rather than file names.

This is really annoying and makes me want to throw the damm thing out the wndow.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #71 of 160
OK, i've found an issue.

This is the same if the music is on an external SSD or a network drive.

I have ripped all my cd's and have them all organised into Artist folders, then cd title folders.

An example of the issue. I select a folder that has 4 tracks, however it will not play all the tracks in the folder i selected. if the tracks are also included in another album folder, it will play that other one instead. I have one song where there are 5 different versions over multiple albums, but for each of them it will only play one version of that track. I can look at the file info and even tells you its pointing tot the wrong file !!

This is happening with every track, which has 2 or more versions of that track.

As far as I can tell, it looks like the initial scan starts from the bottom of the directory tree and works it's way to the top and uses the songs meta data to play tracks, rather than file names.

This is really annoying and makes me want to throw the damm thing out the wndow.
Yes, I had the same problem.
For example if the same track name exists on a Sudio album and Live album
I tag it like this:
Studio. > song name.flac
Live > song name - Live.flac

I do the same principle if it's the same track name but from 2 different artists,
so the problem is solved

Shanling players have the same problem

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #72 of 160
Yes, I had the same problem.
For example if the same track name exists on a Sudio album and Live album
I tag it like this:
Studio. > song name.flac
Live > song name - Live.flac

I do the same principle if it's the same track name but from 2 different artists,
so the problem is solved

Shanling players have the same problem
Feck.

I tried copying one of the files, renamed it with "CD single version" at the end of it, rescanned the drive. Same issue.

changed the meta data, it seemed to see it then.

Good gawd, i've ripped over 600 cd's, i don't really want to go through and look for duplicate file names and edit the meta data. Why is this so broken ? Most everyone else seems to play a file you select.

It looks like i may be correct, they are using the songs meta data to point to a file and if there are 2 or more songs by the same artist, you are screwed.

This is a totally stupid way to create a database. Thinking about looking into my options for returning this.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #74 of 160
Have had mine for a day or two. Set up over wifi, if I am listening to an album at the beginning of near every song there is a crackling sound
The sound upgrade seem minor, but I thought it removed a glare from certain songs. The reason for the return is that with the latest firmware, now the opening of the first song often plays garbled. I switched back to my old streamer and it doesn't reproduce the problem. It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's happens enough and it's one of those bugs I find unacceptable. This has never happened once in more than a year with my previous streamer.
I have had mine for a couple of days brand new, on the latest firmware, and I find exactly the same thing happens to me. I am also considering a return, I expect flawless playback from a device so expensive and despite otherwise really liking it, this is a pretty big deal.

I didn't want to be in the market for another streamer and I really want to keep this, but not sure what I would purchase in its place now. I was offered a Aries G2.1 but it would be almost twice the cost of the Matrix.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #75 of 160
Hello,
Are any news of bug fixes or Roon certification?

It looks like the element s is a great piece of hardware if only it would work as planned.

Doesn anyone have a close connection to Matrix Audio and knows if they are on it or abandoned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back