Matrix Element S - finally a dedicated streamer from Matrix!
Aug 9, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #31 of 160
Quite interested in this as I've been trying to find a network streamer with a decent display (just for aesthetic purposes really), but I only really use Roon so might just wait for it to be certified before ordering.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #32 of 160
... I confirm, it is totally incomprehensible on the tags (texts and images), there for example, I realize that it shows me on the screen the cover of the Batman album instead of a another artist in progress > Mylene Farmer 1989 > yet perfectly tagged !!!!!!!!!!!
Really, I don't understand !!!

Gentlemen from Matrix audio, if the sound is really good, there is software level work!

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #33 of 160
This is my first experience with one of the 2nd gen Matrix Element streaming devices, so I don't know if it's an issue where the entire platform needs further evolution or if it's just the Element S which is so new.

Can anyone with one of the other Element 2 models chime in about the experience? How does it handle library scanning? Obscure albums or "various artist" collections? How is the speed of navigation? I feel like in general this is all stuff that could be improved in software one way or the other.

Aug 9, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #34 of 160
They advertise "Local Music Playback", so it needs to work.

But I also suspect a fair number of users (the majority?) will never use that feature and instead purchase it as a high-quality Streamer for Tidal, Spotify, Roon. I wouldn't be surprised if they focused on streaming tasks or issues before local playback features. I hope the display is 100% accurate when streaming, that seems like a significantly easier challenge than getting the library scanning working.

It could be a very simple bug with tags. If they can iron out these bugs by the time they get full Roon certification, the market will probably accept that.

Aug 12, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #36 of 160
We seem to still be waiting on sound quality reports. Almost all the EverSolo testing uses the internal DAC, so I feel I'm left with the one iiWi review that preferred it over Innous pure streamer.

The reports of bugs with tags is disappointing. I've read too many negative reports on the Lumin app, so for me that leaves the Auralic G1.1 ~2200USD, Matrix S at ~1500, or sitting on the sidelines. The i2S from Matrix to Denafrips is a big selling point for me. For now, I'm waiting, hopeful the Matrix becomes my preferred unit.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #37 of 160
... The sound quality is hard to say, because in the end it's a player, even if very good as already explained.

For Tags in external SSD mode, after 2 intense and difficult days, I realize that he is very... very... very sensitive to the smallest details of these. > Clearly the tags must be perfect.

I find using music files to launch music with the app very smooth.
The real flaw is as I mentioned > its very poor attempt to recognize artist images (Artist tab) that it tries to embed or it can't find, or so the artist image(s) is not the correct one.
Of course when different Artists in the musical world have the same name, it doesn't help, hence these risky choices.
Too bad there is not a manual option to do it yourself, because there, we will be 100% sure of the result.

Aug 14, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #38 of 160
Hello all,
So they updated the firmware on the Element S. they added links to the the streaming page and several apps are whited out. One of the new additions is Roon ready. I tried it and it still says Not certified at this time? Other apps are Japanese with Japanese letters?

Rregards,
Jeff

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #40 of 160
Yes, that is update I downloaded. I also notice they have Tidal Connect whited out? Now that Tidal offers PCM hi Rez what setting should the Element s be set to? Hi fi or Master? I would think they will update this to the new MAX setting?

Regards
Jeff

Aug 14, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #41 of 160
Hi Jeff, I'm not an expert on Tidal as I use mostly use Roon. You can log into Tidal through the Matrix Audio app, but you’ll need the Tidal app to use Tidal Connect. For me, the Element S shows up as a device in the Tidal app. I set Tidal to Max.

Aug 15, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #43 of 160
Hell
I haven't been using the Element S much yet, waiting for Roon to be added. If this new update messes with Tidal then I might just skip it for now, and hope the next one (with Roon) comes sooner than later.
Hello,
it does not mess with Tidal. Tidal connect works just fine. I was only commenting on the fact that Tidal changed their names for highest resolution to Max from master. Now they added a Tidal connect button in the streaming menu. This opens the Tidal App.

Regards
Jeff

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #45 of 160
Ah I see, thanks. I might as well update then.
Hello project 86, I hope all is well. Just checking in to see if you have started to review the Element S? Are you waiting for it to be Roon certified? I do not understand why there haven’t been any reviews except for the Moon Audio review. The new PS audio Air Lens is being praised, and now Denafrips has a stand alone streamer. It seems like there are people who are looking for a stand alone streamer. Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back