Matrix Element S - finally a dedicated streamer from Matrix!
Jul 15, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #16 of 160
I too was expecting a quicker process for certification. BUT I have heard from other companies that once they submit the device, it is up to the Roon folks and their timing to get it done. So theoretically Matrix may have done so months ago and the backlog is just really large. Would not surprise me at all.

I have encountered a few bugs with the app, specifically with getting logged in to Qobuz. Like it accepts my credentials but then hangs up or something (I don't recall the specifics right now). Is that what you've experienced? Or do you mean issues playing files, as in USB drive or NAS?
Hi, I also heard that Roon has a large backlog because the person who was responsible for certifying devices left the company recently. Keeping fingers crossed.

I can login into Qobuz but once logged in and picking a track I get an error message that qobuz can't play the file. I noticed that in streaming mode, at the bottom of the app where the track should be shown it instead shows Not Playing and I can't do anything to remove it. The tracks I pick show up in the qobuz queue but they dont play.

Is there a way to reset the Element S to factory default in case something got corrupted?

Best,
James

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #17 of 160
I was able to resolve the problem with Qobuz. I reset all settings to factory default, did a hard reboot and connected via ethernet instead of wifi. I think doing the latter was probably what did it. You can access factory default settings using the Settings button on the touchscreen.

Jul 17, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #18 of 160
Glad to hear you got it worked out. I have used both wireless and Ethernet and both seem to perform the same as far as I can tell. And once I got Qobuz set up/signed in, it was smooth sailing from there if I recall correctly. So hopefully you have that same experience.

Now we just need Roon to hurry up and certify!

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #19 of 160
Thanks. It seems to be working fine now. Once it worked properly it sounds pretty good streaming from Qobuz. I'm also going to attach an external drive as a local library.

I just can't understand what is taking so long for Roon certification. I think it has to do with backlog at Roon. I doubt very much the problem is on Matrix's end.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #23 of 160
@project86, are you able to share any thoughts on how this Matrix streamer compares to the hyped Eversolo DMP A6 (as a streamer)? Thank you

To be honest I've been using the Eversolo way more than the Matrix at this point, since I'm primarily a Roon user... and we are still waiting for Roon to approve the Element S.

In addition, I'm working on a review of the Eversolo for Darko Audio, so there's a bit more of a deadline on that.

Both devices are very impressive in their own ways. The DMP-A6 is unmatched in terms of interface, display quality, flexibility, and value. It's probably the better "mainstream" choice, if there is such a thing in the higher-end audio world. Having a quality fully-balanced integrated DAC on board is really handy and for a lot of systems it will be perfectly adequate on its own - while leaving room to grow with transport capabilities for when the user upgrades to a new DAC down the road.

Meanwhile the Element S is the superior transport in terms of SQ. Whether or not your system will pick up on that quality increase is something I can't predict, but in a really nice system it definitely shows a clear benefit. I hear superior resolution, deeper extension, more fleshed out soundstage; basically the usual signs of a better transport. I also really appreciate having more outputs as some of my DACs perform best via AES, and some work best with I2S over HDMI.

So it's a tough choice and it really depends on your needs. But I'll cover this in my eventual Element S review, once Roon finally gets it working.

Jul 24, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #24 of 160
Thanks a lot!, that was helpful 🙏

Actually the reason I asked you is because I read you were also working on the review for Darko.

I'm looking for a secondary streamer for my home-office space to combine with some DACs (ZH1ES, WA7 Fireflies, IDAC+IHA-6) for Tidal use mostly, so I don't care about Eversolo's DAC section, but I just got to see it working at a local dealer on Saturday and, as you said, the interface, display/operating smoothness was great indeed (comparable to Auralic's Lighting DS app), but now you are making me lean towards the Matrix...

I look forward to reading both your reviews.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #26 of 160
Sorry, I have not heard that particular model for comparison.

The last Lumin model I tried was the T2 if I recall correctly, which only had the single coaxial digital output. Without direct comparison (it's been a while) I want to say the Element S is very easily on the same level as that. Likely better actually, but I can't be sure without having both here.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #27 of 160
So it's a tough choice and it really depends on your needs. But I'll cover this in my eventual Element S review, once Roon finally gets it working.
In general, the device is very competitive and relevant. The question is, which devices are direct competitors in terms of sound quality?

iFi NEO Stream
Lumin U2 mini
-------------------
Lumin U2
Auralic Aries G2.1

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #28 of 160
In general, the device is very competitive and relevant. The question is, which devices are direct competitors in terms of sound quality?
Lumin U2 mini
Lumin U2
Auralic Aries G2.1

Innuos pulse mini + upgraded PSU is right around Matrix price as well.

I'm curious what has the best SQ at the lower price point of the Matrix S, EverSolo Master Ed, and upgraded Innuos pulse mini all float around. Also, if the SW is buggy, then the SQ doesn't matter.

Aug 9, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #30 of 160
Good morning

Product purchased from Audiophonics - France (service always at the Top), especially since the packaging of the Matrix is nice, the product is in a small simple bag with handle, all in its package.

In a few words, it is an audio/network player without Dac (Player) with good connectivity. The product is "mini"

Getting started is done by a QR code system (yeah, I struggled a bit, it kept telling me invalid all the time during the Scan) via Apple Ipad Pro tablets and Samsung Tab S5e Android tablets and XAOMI Redmi Note 10 Mobile Phone with the Matrix MA app.
Curiously, it is with a XAOMI Redmi Note 10 Mobile Phone that I obtain the best results of use and in particular the album covers and tag.
Once on the way, no worries, but only in English or… Chinese.

After more than 20 hours of use with 2TB SSD and Flac files with Dac Hegel HD20 + Hegel H190 amp and Sonus Faber Venère 3.0 speakers, it's Excellent, and I find the whole thing a little more "defined - details that stand out better” than with my other Pioneer N-50 AE audio player on the same configuration, so it's an improvement on my system.
I don't use streaming.

Now the things that annoy me: it's the recognition of file tags, which I do manually and check, it's very subject to misunderstanding (yet I have no worries on the same files on Sony Walkman (yet painful on this subject) or Shanling)

In fact it's a bit of a panic, it sometimes displays info in the tags (which I don't even know where it comes from, I check again and again, I redo = nothing to do, I manage, but the worst c is the display with the classification by artist (or other choices in the classification tabs too), certainly at the level of the Artist name, that's fine, as much as he tries to put the photos of the artists they can't find, or when he finds it is not the good one!!!
In short, it's a bit "nauseous". (Watch out for the same file names/tracks with different artists, it will mix everything up, like at Shanling > Chinese too… Well !).
For example, he does not put (or find anything to put) for artists like Vangelis, or Diana Krall etc... !!!!!!!… recognition surely more suited to artists from the Asian continent or downright Chinese??

On the other hand, for the poster of album covers, it's all good at 99.9%, again it's with the XAOMI Redmi Note 10 mobile phone that I get the best results.
Very surprising all the same that the displays and tags differ from one device to another > no consistency on this point !!!! > Bad rating for the Samsung Tab S5e tablet.

That said, I do not regret my purchase, it is a very good product.

FB - Annecy - France

Users who are viewing this thread

Back