Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Dec 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #272 of 520
According to Matrix Audio HQ, U8 on X-Sabre Pro is not powerful enough.

XU208 might be OK, but such a licence for DDC will never been given.
If this is allowed, the only thing needed for MQA full decoding is a USB-DDC that outputs up to 192kHz via coaxial / optical / AES/EBU output.
All the existing DACs up to 192kHz playback capability can be used with such a DDC.
There will be no licence fee paid by DAC manufacturers.

Dec 22, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #275 of 520
There is no reason to upgrade to the MQA version unless you will be streaming MQA content and want the full hardware unfolding. The X-Sabre Pro is a fantastic DAC either way. You can, dim the display brightness in settings. Having the option to have the display turn off entirely would be nice. I will mention this idea to Matrix engineers and see if this is possible.

Thanks for your reply. I am fine with redbook so will stick with the X-Sabre Pro. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if we can expect the display off functionality in the future :) Thanks again!

Jan 11, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #277 of 520
By the way, I asked the Matrix Audio straightforward: X-SABRE Pro vs ELEMENT X.
Here is the answer from Matrix representative:
"Element X is a combo unit, if you do not want to use a PC as music source, and you are prefer a combo unit to separated units. you can wait for element X.
the digital processing part of X-SABRE Pro, is a little little bit better than element X, but the volume control of element X has more advantages than X-SABRE Pro.
the Hyper-Control technology which uses at element X, is a combination of analog control (relay array) and digital control (control by D/A chip). and the element X has 10dB analog gain , but the X-SABRE Pro is digital gain."

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #279 of 520
According to Matrix Audio HQ, U8 on X-Sabre Pro is not powerful enough.

XU208 might be OK, but such a licence for DDC will never been given.
If this is allowed, the only thing needed for MQA full decoding is a USB-DDC that outputs up to 192kHz via coaxial / optical / AES/EBU output.
All the existing DACs up to 192kHz playback capability can be used with such a DDC.
There will be no licence fee paid by DAC manufacturers.

Dear Sir, MQA Ltd. do not allow any MQA supported device outputs regular digital signal directly. Thank you.

Mar 5, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #281 of 520
Hey HF members,

I'm trying to audition a Matrix X-Sabre Pro (MQA), and I would like to ask a quick question regarding input connection. When I had my Gungnir MB (sayonara old friend), it had the gen 5 USB, so I just decided to use that and call it good. This X-Sabre Pro, however, has USB, optical, coaxial, and AES. My PC lacks coaxial and AES.

While I won't say too much about my impressions yet of the X-Sabre Pro (need more time), I'm not detecting much difference, if any, between the USB and the optical connections. I did notice however, that when playing audio through USB, the little display on the DAC says "24 bit" and when using optical, it says "16 bit." I'm guessing that perhaps the DAC upsamples, or oversamples, the files when playing through USB (I might decide to email Matrix about this).

To those with experience with this DAC (or better yet, own one), which input did you end up using and why? Did any particular input sound better/worse to you?​

Mar 7, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #282 of 520
During my time with a demo unit, I found all inputs to sound pretty much the same. Or at least close enough to where I didn't feel the need to stick with any particular input over the others.

Not sure about the 24-bit vs 16-bit aspect... are you sure it isn't related to a setting on your playback software?

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #283 of 520
During my time with a demo unit, I found all inputs to sound pretty much the same. Or at least close enough to where I didn't feel the need to stick with any particular input over the others.

Not sure about the 24-bit vs 16-bit aspect... are you sure it isn't related to a setting on your playback software?

I actually did email Matrix and sort this out. Yeah, it's the playback. Derp.

Honestly, if the differences are there between inputs I would never be able to tell them apart in a blind test. This of course is contingent upon system (i.e. if you have crap USB but good optical)

Mar 25, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #284 of 520
Hello Friends,
How is everyone doing today? Nobody ever bothers to ask anymore! Bad manners and upbringing or just plain old laziness? Both!
I probably have a stupid question but I was wondering if you can change the Frequency Roll Off on the Matrix X Pro DAC without the remote control?

I just lent it to a friend and I forgot to give him the remote control and I have not used the DAC in a very long time so I can't remember.

I tried to change the feet on the Matrix DAC and it took me forever to remove the wrong screws in the back of the DAC when the only thing that you have to do is remove the bottom screws and the Hidden plastic screw below the Warranty sticker and the RCA retainers on the back of the DAC.
Just 3 ( 6 ) or 8 sided retainers and the bottom of the DAC will come right off and that's when I noticed that the Feet of the DAC are screwed on from the inside of the DAC but until my new Ceraballs would not fit in the holes that are already in the bottom of the DAC so I will have to have them enlarged.

I have absolutely no idea if the new Ceraballs will make a difference but I already have the ( 3 ) Ceramic Ceraballs and a few other people have done the same thing so I might as well do .

I was extremely impressed with the way that the Matrix DAC is carved out of a solid block of Aluminum and even each capacitor and the rest of the stuff have their own perfectly carved out place in the DAC.

Chi-Fi is the new Buzzword and they are definitely not screwing around when they want to!

Happy Listening,

Ramiro Guerrero
Stranded in Audiophile Hell!
Buenos Aires, Argentina!

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #285 of 520
Hello Friends,
How is everyone doing today? Nobody ever bothers to ask anymore! Bad manners and upbringing or just plain old laziness? Both!
I probably have a stupid question but I was wondering if you can change the Frequency Roll Off on the Matrix X Pro DAC without the remote control?

I just lent it to a friend and I forgot to give him the remote control and I have not used the DAC in a very long time so I can't remember.

I tried to change the feet on the Matrix DAC and it took me forever to remove the wrong screws in the back of the DAC when the only thing that you have to do is remove the bottom screws and the Hidden plastic screw below the Warranty sticker and the RCA retainers on the back of the DAC.
Just 3 ( 6 ) or 8 sided retainers and the bottom of the DAC will come right off and that's when I noticed that the Feet of the DAC are screwed on from the inside of the DAC but until my new Ceraballs would not fit in the holes that are already in the bottom of the DAC so I will have to have them enlarged.

I have absolutely no idea if the new Ceraballs will make a difference but I already have the ( 3 ) Ceramic Ceraballs and a few other people have done the same thing so I might as well do .

I was extremely impressed with the way that the Matrix DAC is carved out of a solid block of Aluminum and even each capacitor and the rest of the stuff have their own perfectly carved out place in the DAC.

Chi-Fi is the new Buzzword and they are definitely not screwing around when they want to!

Happy Listening,

Ramiro Guerrero
Stranded in Audiophile Hell!
Buenos Aires, Argentina!
Dear Sir, the only way to set the filter in X-SABRE Pro is operating on the touch button on the unit, not remote control. so don't worry about your friend who borrow your DAC, he can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back