Material in the "neck/head strap" of MS-1
Aug 15, 2006 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

aliquis

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sorry, but this is yet another question about the MS-1.

Background:
I've been looking for a good headset for some while but thought that I would probably be better of with some headphones and a microphone, right? The headset I had considered where for instance Sennheiser PC160 and Icemat Sibira.

So I started looking at random Sennheisers in an ok price range when someone told me about the Grado SR60 and SR80, so I started to read about them and it seems a lot of people like them except that they have a bad sound stage which makes them bad for gaming?

I listen to random stuff but mostly trance/techno/synth/electronic musik/maybe pop/.. but I also use my headphones for occasional gaming, if they work for portable usage it's good but currently I don't even own an MP3-player (also if I get one is 30mW/channel or so better than say 10 or 16 or will I need an amp anyway?)

Grado SR60 cost 790 sek here in sweden.
Grado SR80 cost 1090 sek.
Grado SR125 cost 2195 sek.

Alessandro MS-1 from their website would be similair to 760 sek + eventually VAT (worst case scenario 30-40% more), is that a much better choice?

Audio-Technica ATH-A500 or any other of their modells seems hard to find here.

Sennheiser HD 280 pro is 988 sek.
Sennheiser HD 595 is 1283 sek.

AKG K81 DJ is 790 sek, can't find the Sonys (v6 or whatever.)

And finally here is the question:
Is the neck/head strap on the Alessandro MS-1 made of leather or not?
The Grado SR60 and SR80 is vinyl right? I'm vegan so this is sort of an issue for me.

Also which ones is often most comfortable? The flat ear cups or the ones with holes in them?

Which of the Grados/Alessandros should I get or is any of the other alternatives a better one?

(I have a Creative Audigy platinum ex with drive and a Denon AVR-1801 receiver, both of those are ok to drive the headphones aren't they?)

Thanks in advance for your help, I live in a quite small town and our only left Hifi store which I know about only have the Sennheisers I belive, atleast not the Grados, so I can't demo them. However it's not huge if I pick the wrong one, since there seem to be so many differences in how the phones sounds maybe it's just good to have different ones for say trance vs movies/gaming.

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 17
Ok, 99.9% is probably good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Goodcans says SR60 and SR80 is vinyl so vinyl for the MS-1 would be a good guess aswell.
But on the very small photos I find on google it looks more like leather than the SR80s does. But hopefully it's not.

Any comments on the cups? The SR80 is said to have a better cable and different cups compared to the SR60, does the Alessandro MS-1 have the same/similair cable as the SR80?

Should I order the MS-1 now directly? (Would be simplier so
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
And finally here is the question:
Is the neck/head strap on the Alessandro MS-1 made of leather or not?
The Grado SR60 and SR80 is vinyl right? I'm vegan so this is sort of an issue for me.

It is Vinyl/Plastic-Pleather on the MS1, I would assume it is the identicle headband to the other low end Grados. I wish it was leather for no other reason than I hate cows (and their flesh feels so buttery smooth compared to plastic. The only problem I would have with a leather headband is I bet it would be succulent like anything cow and I would have a hard time not eating it)

Quote:

Also which ones is often most comfortable? The flat ear cups or the ones with holes in them?

I don't really have a problem with either ear pad, Sometimes on the bowls though parts of my ear rub on the driver a little, not uncomfortable just annoying. On the comfies they got a little warmer than the bowls.

I do prefer the bowls hands down over the comfies though.

These are all going to be opinions on the comfort and sound of the pads depending on the person though.

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapdemon
I don't really have a problem with either ear pad, Sometimes on the bowls though parts of my ear rub on the driver a little, not uncomfortable just annoying. On the comfies they got a little warmer than the bowls.

I do prefer the bowls hands down over the comfies though.

These are all going to be opinions on the comfort and sound of the pads depending on the person though.

Yeah, I've read some people cuts holes in their pads to let the sound thru? But on the other side doesn't people get the MS-1 to get a less harsh trebble? Doesn't make sense.

Oh well, I'll order the Alessandro and hope for the best
smily_headphones1.gif
, and no evil 25% VAT :/

Do you like your AKG or Alessandro the most?

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Is the neck/head strap on the Alessandro MS-1 made of leather or not?[/b] .

yes it is vinyl..good luck if you decide to upgrade though..the reference and statement series Grado's all come with 100% authentic cow rear as headbands..and it feels nice and soft..better used than slaughtered and wasted..I say.

My sister was a vegan for 15 years, but for health and nutritional reasons, she opted to eat meat again, good choice for her, more energy and healthier metabolism..many of my friends are vegans..unfortunately there is a lack of food and offering for vegans in the U.S.. good luck, hope you enjoy your cans..

Also, your question on comfortable Grado Headphones..kind of a mixed bag, as they are comfortable for some, but not for all.. All the phones Grado currently produce are supranaural and fitting on the ears themselves..except the GS1's...so unless you have small ears, they may be scratchy and/or uncomfortable with the bowls..(if you get the MS-1, they will come with the stock comfys..which I rec getting the HD-414 Senn pads and cutting a hole in them)..
I think asking about the most comfortable Grado is not far from requesting the largest Yugo model...just not there maybe
blink.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 17
aliquis said:
Ok, 99.9% is probably good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

Any comments on the cups? The SR80 is said to have a better cable and different cups compared to the SR60, does the Alessandro MS-1 have the same/similair cable as the SR80?
QUOTE]

From The Alessandro Website:

The Music Series One, Two and Pro headphones all feature voice-coils that are wound from ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper. Ultra-high conductivity copper yields the clearest transmission and lowest coloration possible. This combined with high power neodymium magnets provide maximum efficiency giving a smoother, cleaner and more dynamic sound and a larger perceived sound stage.

I am not exactly sure what the SR80 has for cables but I assume the MS1s would be the same or better. The MS1 comes with comfies and bowls cost around $20 US.

Man you got me all hungry for leather headbands now.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
yes it is vinyl..good luck if you decide to upgrade though..the reference and statement series Grado's all come with 100% authentic cow rear as headbands..and it feels nice and soft..better used than slaughtered and wasted..I say.

My sister was a vegan for 15 years, but for health and nutritional reasons, she opted to eat meat again, good choice for her, more energy and healthier metabolism..many of my friends are vegans..unfortunately there is a lack of food and offering for vegans in the U.S.. good luck, hope you enjoy your cans..

I don't need to know what you think about it or what not, I just don't want skin on it, that's all. Thought ***** flesh would be ok so I would finally be able to give head to some... Quote:

Also, your question on comfortable Grado Headphones..kind of a mixed bag, as they are comfortable for some, but not for all.. All the phones Grado currently produce are supranaural and fitting on the ears themselves..except the GS1's...so unless you have small ears, they may be scratchy and/or uncomfortable with the bowls..(if you get the MS-1, they will come with the stock comfys..which I rec getting the HD-414 Senn pads and cutting a hole in them)..
I think asking about the most comfortable Grado is not far from requesting the largest Yugo model...just not there maybe
blink.gif

The comfys aren't not as good as the bowls? I can't find the HD-414 in Sweden and it would probably cost more. Is this mod "necessary"? Woudln't they just be even more like the SR80 then? Are the SR80 a better choice due to the bowls?

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

The Music Series One, Two and Pro headphones all feature voice-coils that are wound from ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper. Ultra-high conductivity copper yields the clearest transmission and lowest coloration possible. This combined with high power neodymium magnets provide maximum efficiency giving a smoother, cleaner and more dynamic sound and a larger perceived sound stage.

Yeah, same magnets as the SR125, I know, but the Grado website says this for SR80:
"Built on the same features as the SR60, but utilizes a 4 conductor connecting cable and larger ear cushions, the result of which gives a more open stage". Also what is such a cable? Biwire?
Quote:

I am not exactly sure what the SR80 has for cables but I assume the MS1s would be the same or better. The MS1 comes with comfies and bowls cost around $20 US.

Can bowls be bought on the same website? If not I might have a hard time finding them in my ****** country
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Man you got me all hungry for leather headbands now.

I know how it feels, "I love kids!" ...

No, not really, but you guys are not even remotely close to being funny so just stop trying.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Do you like your AKG or Alessandro the most?

Ummmmmmmm......

I like the sound of the MS1s better, but the AKGs are bit way tougher still sound great, fold up, and don't leak sound.

I have tried my MS1s outside and they are open so I have to turn up the volume to a level that I don't feel comfortable with as far as long term effects on my hearing.

The MS1s or any grado are not really a toss around phone either, I always am sure to put mine back in the box or hang them up where as with the AKGs I can just fold them up wrap the cord up with them and toss them in my duffle bag.

I have read for techno or electronica or whatever the AKGs sound better also. I listen to mostly rock/Blues/Jazz and like the MS1s better for them, but again the AKGs don't sound bad with them.

I listen to the MS1s more but if I had to choose only one it would be the AKGs for the durabilty reasons and they are closed headphones that sound near as good as the MS1s.

Has anyone here ever tried grilled leather headband sandwiches, this thread is making me hungry.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Can bowls be bought on the same website? If not I might have a hard time finding them in my ****** country

I know they put them on their other 2 sets of headphones so maybe you could convince them to toss a pair in if you paid for them to help save on shipping.

Otherwise some people punch holes out of the stock comfy pads to get similar results.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 17
But the e-mail address on grados website doesn't work and alessandro doesn't seem to answer that fast so I'll probably skip trying to get some sort of a deal, I could give them a call but it's 8 sek / minute or something so maybe not (or get skype+skypeout for it maybe?
biggrin.gif
)

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I don't need to know what you think about it or what not, I just don't want skin on it, that's all. Thought ***** flesh would be ok so I would finally be able to give head to some...The comfys aren't not as good as the bowls? I can't find the HD-414 in Sweden and it would probably cost more. Is this mod "necessary"? Woudln't they just be even more like the SR80 then? Are the SR80 a better choice due to the bowls?

Hi I was very careful with my wording, so as not to offend you..and was simply stating that Grado cans in the reference line (i.e. RS-1, RS-2) come with the leather band...no worries from my side, was not trying to start something though, not sure of the language you used that needed stars to bleep out, as I was trying to assist you
cool.gif

My comments on veganism were only to help provide a unique vantage point to you, was all..and were mentioned because your post intially did?? Quote:

The comfys aren't not as good as the bowls? I can't find the HD-414 in Sweden and it would probably cost more. Is this mod "necessary"? Woudln't they just be even more like the SR80 then? Are the SR80 a better choice due to the bowls?

It is all about personal preference which is better, hard to say for sure.. the HD-414's are on ebay every day and can be had for cheap..just did a search myself on eBay.ie which should be applicable to your region, maybe..look here

hey aliquis, consider more time looking into the suggestions people give you instead of swearing at them and barking back, seems to lack couth in a way. A bunch of people on this forum are quite knowledable, fyi. (I am not one of them but there are a lot of them here
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
) just kidding, meant no offense, just was sharing info...
Hope you find what you need, the MS-1s I would take over the SR-60/80, fyi.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Hi I was very careful with my wording, so as not to offend you..and was simply stating that Grado cans in the reference line (i.e. RS-1, RS-2) come with the leather band...no worries from my side, was not trying to start something though, not sure of the language you used that needed stars to bleep out, as I was trying to assist you
cool.gif

Heh, no worries from the begining, I only quoted your post since that was the one with flesh in it. I guess you can figure it out from the rest of the sentence
wink.gif
Quote:

My comments on veganism were only to help provide a unique vantage point to you, was all..and were mentioned because your post intially did??

Yeah
Audiofiler said:
It is all about personal preference which is better, hard to say for sure.. the HD-414's are on ebay every day and can be had for cheap..just did a search myself on eBay.ie which should be applicable to your region, maybe..look here
Quote:

hey aliquis, consider more time looking into the suggestions people give you instead of swearing at them and barking back, seems to lack couth in a way. A bunch of people on this forum are quite knowledable, fyi. (I am not one of them but there are a lot of them here
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
) just kidding, meant no offense, just was sharing info...
Hope you find what you need, the MS-1s I would take over the SR-60/80, fyi.

Yeah, but this omg-I'm-so-fun-because-I-meantion-I-eat-meat-**** is so boring. Nice, thanks.

Aug 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 17
aliquis said:
Heh, no worries from the begining, I only quoted your post since that was the one with flesh in it. I guess you can figure it out from the rest of the sentence
wink.gif
Yeah Quote:

Yeah, but this omg-I'm-so-fun-because-I-meantion-I-eat-meat-**** is so boring. Nice, thanks.

I am a vegan ,thanks.

The HD-414 earpads is what you want though, not those cans.. fyi. (you use the HD-414 replacement earpads which are still available from Senn direct, and put them on your MS-1's, many prefer, myself included, their sound with a quarter sized hole in the middle, which makes them sound and fit more comfy than the stock foamies or todd Flats (on these phones), IMO..

hope this helps, no worries!!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back