Mastodon: Leviathan
Sep 24, 2007 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Relayer71

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not much of a hardcore metal fan (still love Metallica's Master Of Puppets though, hehe) but picked this album up after hearing a few sample tracks and it's great.

Guess I'm liking it because it's more Progressive Metal than anything else (these guys can play - drummer is INSANE - and the arrangements are interesting). It's also a concept album based on Moby Dick which is different.

I recommend anyone into progressive rock/heavy metal to download/sample the 1st 2 tracks or 3 tracks, very good stuff!

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 16
see also:

highonfire.jpg

High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
more sludgy, and arguably heavier. amazing playing here on all instruments.

175858910_cec5863f4d.jpg

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
this one has more of a southern feel and is less proggy.

2rosetta_satellites.jpg

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites
this one is absolutely amazing. it makes mastodon sound like the backstreet boys.

Sep 24, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 16
Leviathan and Blood Mountain are both fun albums to listen to. I'd also recommend Gojira, they're a bit different in terms of style but play with a similiar raw, unfettered heaviness. From Mars To Sirius, The Link and Terra Incognita are all excellent albums, highly recommended.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2rosetta_satellites.jpg

this one is absolutely amazing. it makes mastodon sound like the backstreet boys.

Wow, they certainly sound amazing. Like a more atmospheric/ambient ISIS.

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

see also:

2rosetta_satellites.jpg

Thanks for that rec. I am very impressed with the post rock stuff they have up on their myspace, so much so that I just preordered their new album(s).

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 16
Great to see another Mastodon fan
biggrin.gif

If you like Leviathan, which is their masterpiece, then listen to Remission also. If you like Remission than listen to Call of the Mastodon.

Call of the Mastodon is the heaviest of the heaviest and Remission is a close second. Leviathan is a little softer but the riffing and the songs are their best ever. I honestly don't know whats wrong with Blood Mountain, but I can very seldom listen too it all the way through before I change to something else. I think it's the sound quality which turns me off. From excellent on Leviathan to crap on Blood Mountain. I think that it also was a little too much progressive for my taste.

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that it also was a little too much progressive for my taste.

Then I'll probably love it, thanks for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

And I'll check out Rosetta - LOVE that album cover artwork, btw.

Sep 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

175858910_cec5863f4d.jpg

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
this one has more of a southern feel and is less proggy.

God, Acid Bath was amazing; I only found them because the guy who used to have my desk before me at work left behind his copy there, and even then, I almost overlooked it.

Definitely have to agree with Glendale Viper on Mastodon-Blood Mountain. Easily their weakest album. Leviathan still stands as my favorite.

Sep 26, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 16
Prompted by this thread I decided to give Leviathan a listen today. Man I forgot how good it is! Hearts Alive in particular was awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by w4ffl35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the Rosetta album, playing both cds at the same time. Amazingly good.

Just out of curiosity how did you manage that short of running two CD players together? Is there a way to play two separate tracks at the same time through Foobar or a comparable media player?

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity how did you manage that short of running two CD players together? Is there a way to play two separate tracks at the same time through Foobar or a comparable media player?

I had disc one running in foobar and disc 2 running in media player classic. There was maybe a less than 1 second difference, but I couldn't hear it. I'll work on combining them in to 1 actual file sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back