Masters & Dynamics MW75 New Headphones
Jul 7, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #241 of 275
wow haven't been on here in 11 years.....anyways I read a bit of mixed reviews but I figure I got a clearance pair bnib for 50% off would be worth a shot. I had a pair of MD IEM that were not good from many years ago so not the best experience but dunno how people are getting along with these.

Sep 1, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #242 of 275
I wasn't aware there was a thread for these. I'm a fan of M&D and have owned one of every model/generation except the MW50+ (onears are gross), MG20, and the MW75.

I'm really disappointed in the aesthetics. I'm a sucker for their old design language, but this update takes their aesthetic from retro-future to samey-ANC overears that have saturated the market. It looks like they copied from B&O's design language while executing much more poorly.

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #243 of 275
I wasn't aware there was a thread for these. I'm a fan of M&D and have owned one of every model/generation except the MW50+ (onears are gross), MG20, and the MW75.

I'm really disappointed in the aesthetics. I'm a sucker for their old design language, but this update takes their aesthetic from retro-future to samey-ANC overears that have saturated the market. It looks like they copied from B&O's design language while executing much more poorly.
I agree. M&D was always a little pricey for the sound, and frankly the mw75 are no different imo with bathys/px8 easily besting them for sound. But m&d always had the best design, mh40/mw60/mw65 were works of art. This is probably one of the worst looking headphones in the anc class, they are huge and stick out as much as bathys...generic looking too.

I dont want to be too cynical, but I can see this being one of M&Ds last efforts in the high end bluetooth headphone space. I just dont see them sticking around without a USP.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #244 of 275
I agree. M&D was always a little pricey for the sound, and frankly the mw75 are no different imo with bathys/px8 easily besting them for sound. But m&d always had the best design, mh40/mw60/mw65 were works of art. This is probably one of the worst looking headphones in the anc class, they are huge and stick out as much as bathys...generic looking too.

I dont want to be too cynical, but I can see this being one of M&Ds last efforts in the high end bluetooth headphone space. I just dont see them sticking around without a USP.
It's this sentiment that's holding me back from getting the MW75s. The problem is that there aren't many options when it comes to ANC headphones with a "passive mode" option. Sure, the Solitaire T and the 5909 do but I can't justify that cost / performance ratio for 99% of the use being on a flight.

Sep 2, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #245 of 275
It's this sentiment that's holding me back from getting the MW75s. The problem is that there aren't many options when it comes to ANC headphones with a "passive mode" option. Sure, the Solitaire T and the 5909 do but I can't justify that cost / performance ratio for 99% of the use being on a flight.
i mean for the price of an MW75 you can get a Momentum 4 and an Elegia lol. Both (imo) sound better than the MW75, the M4 is just a much nicer profile for going outside, sounds better, has more battery life...While the Elegia is in a totally different league to both sound wise and can sit at the desk for passive use.

My MW75 definately had some issues in the treble region causing noticable sibilance. I will try it again one day as I noticed huge unit variation in the MW65 too, I had two pairs that sounded very different and even had different max volumes. But my MW75 was simply a flawed headphone that didn't compete with other offerings, I took it to Convince me Audio's place (the reviewer) to verify, and he noticed the same issue sadly.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #246 of 275
It seems like M&D has silently launched a new edition of the MW75 with a new dirver, on launch I could've sworn they said it was a 40mm berylium driver, well now it's titanium according to the site

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #247 of 275
It seems like M&D has silently launched a new edition of the MW75 with a new dirver, on launch I could've sworn they said it was a 40mm berylium driver, well now it's titanium according to the site
Well, maybe they used their ANC features to "silently" launch a new edition !!! M&D does not care much about the technical details: if there is a new version, the driver is still 40 mm, made of... whatever you like!

From M&D MW75 main page:
Screenshot1.jpg

From the tech specs (same page!):
Screenshot2.jpg

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #248 of 275
Well as long as they still feel like strapping a leather chair on your head its a no go for me. 🥸

Nov 22, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #249 of 275
Well, maybe they used their ANC features to "silently" launch a new edition !!! M&D does not care much about the technical details: if there is a new version, the driver is still 40 mm, made of... whatever you like!

From M&D MW75 main page:
Screenshot1.jpg

From the tech specs (same page!):
Screenshot2.jpg
Lol doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Nov 22, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #250 of 275
I can see it being a parts availability thing, scale and supply are bigger factors than the material's impact on sound.

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #252 of 275
I wonder how the MW75 compares to the MG20. I have the MG20, and the 50mm beryllium drivers sound amazing! I am wondering if it's worth getting the MW75, too.
I haven't heard the MG20 at all, but the MW75 is worth picking up if you get a discount on it. I don't think the msrp of $599 is a fair price for this headphone. I got it for 30% off and am happy with that. IF I'd payed full price I would have sent them back.
not great ANC, weird tuning with a heavy emphasis in frequencies from aprox 50 hz-250 hz, with a lesser bump in freqs around 500 HZ.
The app doesn't have EQ, but does have presets. i experimented with all of these plus eq from my phone, and have found a sound I really like, and to me, shows what the drivers are fully capable of more so than any of the in app eq presets, which all seem to emphasize one sound characteristic over another, to the detriment of the over all sound.
With the main tuning as the default from the M&D app, I reduced 64HZ, 125HZ and 250HZ by 5 DB, then plus 1 on 32HZ, minus 1 on 500HZ, plus 1 on 1K, 2K plus 2 on 4K and 8K, then plus 3 on 16K.
To me this really smooths things out and opens up the sound in a unique but natural way. it still sounds like the MW75, but has a much better sounding bass across-the-board. The bass has great extention in this tuning and mids have the space to shine. Treble is sometimes a bit off still, symbals sometimes have a sound that is hard to describe, but i'm nit-picking at this point.
You may have read this further up in this thread, but some people use the MG20 pads on the MW75 because they are deeper and more comfortable. The MG20 pads won't magnetize to the MW75 though, which is why I've personally not picked a pair up.
I do wish the MW75 pads had more depth, but they are still worn for several hours without being annoying.
Hope this post helps in deciding whether or not to pick up the MW75. If nothing else, I say they're worth an audition if you have that option available.

Jan 26, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #253 of 275
Great feedback. Thank you! I was mainly wondering since the MG20s have 50mm beryllium drivers compared to the 40mm on the MW75, and they share the same sound signature, if it was worth getting the MW75 at all. I guess I will have to find one and compare them side by side.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #254 of 275
Great feedback. Thank you! I was mainly wondering since the MG20s have 50mm beryllium drivers compared to the 40mm on the MW75, and they share the same sound signature, if it was worth getting the MW75 at all. I guess I will have to find one and compare them side by side.
I do own the MW75, and did take the advice of another user to use the MG20's ear pads on the MW75. It would be interesting to learn which one is preferable sound wise. I did find this comparison. As well as an outright review of the MG20.

https://versus.com/en/master-dynamic-mg20-vs-master-dynamic-mw75

master-dynamic-mg20-review-gaming-headset-specs-performance

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back