Master & Dynamic MW60 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
I just purchased these bluetooth headphones, and noticing there wasn't an impressions thread for them, I thought I would start the conversation.

The initial appeal for me was the wireless capability followed closely by the aesthetics. No question about it, for those who appreciate finely crafted products, the MW60 will not disappoint. I'm still going through the burn-in process with about 50 hours on them, so my observations on its sound are subject to change with followups.

First, some specifics on the MW60s: they come in a cardboard box that doubles as a headphone case. The foam cutout is precise and is made from a semi-hard material and the box itself is nicely done with a hinged flap. There is a leather container sandwiched within the headband that contains a white fabric covered micro USB to USB cable for charging and firmware updates as well as a similarly styled ⅛" TRRS cable. Additionally, there is a ⅛" to ¼" adapter that is designed to look well mated to the ⅛" cable—no generic knock off here. Underneath the foam is where a canvas case is stored and inside there is a small draw string case made from the same material, each with the M&D logo embossed on them. A small instruction booklet is also included.

The zippered case for the headphones has a taco shape that easily allows storage of the MW60s when folded. I was disappointed with the quality of the case in that the areas where the zipper begin and end are not well sewn leaving uneven gaps, a bit of a discontinuity given the quality of the intended occupant.

The headphones are beautifully appointed with metal components done in a satin finish. The parts quality is high, and everything fits nicely together. The adjustment for the headband, however, moves a bit too freely for my taste and requires adjustment with each use. There are very slight detents that match up with line indicators, but they are not held in place very well. I imagine this may be a sample variation and other owners might not have this issue.

I purchased the brown leather set shown above, and when I used Lexol to clean the leather, I was very surprised that the brown finish rubbed off quite easily. The manual states that a leather cleaner is the correct method for keeping the pads in good shape. I'm concerned that with long term use, especially with any sweat that results from extended use, the pads may not last as long as one would hope. Fortunately, the pads are easily removed being magnetically attached to the driver assembly.

My hat size is a 7¾", so on initial use I found the MW60s to sit too tightly on my head, the clamping pressure on my ears being very uncomfortable. I carefully bent the headband with its metal interior and was able to not only get a comfortable fit, but the pressure on the top of my head was widened out somewhat, consequently easing up on any discomfort during long listening sessions.

The MW60s ($550) come with a two year warranty and are made in China.

On first listen, cabled, I noticed a thickness in the bass as if there was a slight bump in frequency response around 100Hz. Others here have commented that the bass is a bit lacking, but I think what's meant is that the lower bass—below 50Hz—rolls off somewhat. Regardless, I'm hoping the bass becomes better detailed with burn-in, and if so, I will be quite happy with this region. The midrange is smooth sounding with no sibilance whatsoever, a quality I'm very sensitive to. Voice reproduction is very good with a slightly pushed presentation compared to the trebles. There is a lack of air to the mids when compared to my closed-back A&K AKT5ps, so the headstage is not nearly as open sounding, but then I don't expect it to be since the AKT5Ps are the most open sounding closed-back headphones I've ever heard. The trebles are a bit stunted, but again, I'm hoping for greater extension and better low level detail retrieval with more burn-in. These are certainly a warmish sounding pair of headphones, but for their intended use—hookup to my MacBook Air via bluetooth aptX—I think they will serve their purpose very well.

So far, the bluetooth functionality is working very well although every so often there is a drop out when I'm moving around. Surprisingly, the overall tonal character of the MW60s remains constant in wired or wireless mode on my MacBook. There is a tiny bit of grain in the upper frequencies that reveals the shortcomings of wireless, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. Incidentally, the pairing works really well with little fuss. 

More details to follow as I get more time on them ...

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 82
I had reached out to M&D service on Saturday to see if I could get a replacement pair of pads under warranty and was surprised to hear back from them on Sunday. I was asked to provide a picture of the problem, a serial number, the retailer, and my address. After responding with the requested materials, a reply came indicating a replacement pair would be shipped. I like companies that retail high end products and back it up with stellar service.

I want to add a comment about the weight of the MW60s: at 345 grams, they are heavier than many other portable headphones in its class. No doubt the materials used—stainless steel and aluminum—contribute mightily to its weight. Having owned the Audeze LCD-XCs which weigh in at around 600 grams, the weight is not an issue for me, however, I don't use these outside when I'm active. I get the feeling the weight might be an issue if I did.

The sound continues to get better with more time on them ...

Jun 30, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 82
I've got a black pair on the way. I'm wondering how these sound vs. th B&W P5 wireless or the P7. I have the P5 and had the P7.

Congrats. I've heard the P5 and P7, and I'd say these are more in line with the P7 since the bass characteristics are similar. Let me know what you think when you get them ...

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 82
Will do. Unfortunately UPS sent me notice that a train delrailment is causing shipping delays on my order:blink:

not good, not good at all.

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 82
Will do. Unfortunately UPS sent me notice that a train delrailment is causing shipping delays on my order:blink:

happens all the time. Nothing to be alarmed about. Only a brief delay...

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 82
I was very disappointed with the M&D MW60.
Design and build quality is top and the way they fit on my head and over my ears, was very comfortable,
but I could not get used to the bass heavy sound. Highs and mids is not where these cans are good in IMHO.
But.........every one has different ears, like one person sees better than the other, so I can imagine that there
are enough guys out there that love them. I returned mine and still enjoy, in this price category, my Aedle VK1.
Cool they are, but so are the ones from Aedle,

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 82
  I was very disappointed with the M&D MW60.
Design and build quality is top and the way they fit on my head and over my ears, was very comfortable,
but I could not get used to the bass heavy sound. Highs and mids is not where these cans are good in IMHO.
But.........every one has different ears, like one person sees better than the other, so I can imagine that there
are enough guys out there that love them. I returned mine and still enjoy, in this price category, my Aedle VK1.
Cool they are, but so are the ones from Aedle,

How many hours of play did you have before you returned them?

Jul 2, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #11 of 82
About ten hours and of course I realise that the cans will improve, but I think I have enough experience
with various headphones to know, that the sound character of these M&D will not improve to my taste.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 82
  About ten hours and of course I realise that the cans will improve, but I think I have enough experience
with various headphones to know, that the sound character of these M&D will not improve to my taste.

OK.

With over 100 hours on mine so far, the bass detail has improved ... much to my liking.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 82
I'm continuing with the burn-in on my MW60s and I'm continuing to hear improvements across the frequency spectrum.

Unlike wired headphones, bluetooth headphones have a DAC and amplifier built in, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that extended burn-in would enhance the sound. I'm still happy with my purchase, a perfect mate to my laptop.

One thing, though, I don't think I'm getting anywhere near the 16 hours of play that is advertised. Since using the bluetooth mode drops the volume a few dB from the wired mode, I have the volume at the high end of the scale. I suppose this is impacting my battery life.

I tried using my phone paired to the MW60s while going for a brisk hike ... doesn't work for me at all. There are constant dropouts due to my phone wiggling around in the pocket of my loose fitting shorts. I have no idea whether this is the nature of bluetooth headphones or this is unique to the MW60.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 82
I guess the bluetooth performance may also be due to my iPhone.

Jul 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 82
Now that I've tried the MW60s with a few different bluetooth sources (and this being the first bluetooth headphone I've owned), it seems they are sensitive to any movement. If I listen with my head fairly still, there are no dropouts whatsoever. However, if I move my head quickly or if I walk around with a normal gait, the dropouts occur. Hence, I'm not sure whether I've reached the limitation of this design, or if instead, I am experiencing the limitations of bluetooth technology.

Now that I have a few hundred hours on the MW60s, the bass has tightened up noticeably, but its character is still on the soft side. The warmish frequency balance is still present, so for those who like their mid and upper frequencies on the detailed side, the MW60s may not be to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back