Master & Dynamic MW60 Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 82
Regarding the WiFi I experienced the same dropouts, especially when moving my head,
or suddenly looking up.
At first I thought it was my AK ​that may be wasn't a good match for the MW60,
but it also occurred with my iPhone 6.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 82
  Regarding the WiFi I experienced the same dropouts, especially when moving my head,
or suddenly looking up.
At first I thought it was my AK ​that may be wasn't a good match for the MW60,
but it also occurred with my iPhone 6.

Good to know, thank you.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #18 of 82
I was continuing to have some issues with dropouts that seemed to me to be excessive, so I reset the MW60 (hold the volume + and - buttons for about 4 seconds) and the wireless performance improved greatly. Additionally, I turned off bluetooth on the other devices the MW60s were paired to (but not connected to) per the instructions in the manual. I can shake my head and move around now in my home with very few dropouts.

I received my new pads, and unlike the originals, the dye does not come off. Happy.

The MW60s continue to impress me with its overall sound. I recommend these to anyone who wants great performance in a bluetooth design, provided one enjoys a warmer tonal character.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #19 of 82

I decided to sell my MW60s to help fund an HD800S purchase. I enjoyed these a lot, but I had a chance to listen extensively to the HD800, and I was hooked. The S version should be exactly what I am looking for.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #21 of 82
Bumping this since I just bought a pair.

Definitely like em a lot straight out of the box. Sound signature is really similar to my Fostex TH-X00, just slightly less open and clear (to be expected since these are fully closed). I use my TH-X00s at work and the TH-600 at home and to be honest, there isnt a huge difference when using typical sources like Spotify Premium.

I have two gripes with the MW60s though:
1. The left cup doesnt seem to really fit right. I can't tell why but it wont seal properly. It could just be my head or ears but I haven't had this issue with other headphones. Swapping the left and right ear pads did seem to help though. Kinda odd.
2. The adjustment mechanism doesnt have clicks and seems to slip on its own. It still maintains a good fit on my head, but you just cant force the headphones to sit higher on your ears or be "tighter"

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #22 of 82

Congrats! These headphones deserve a bump! I’m a relatively new owner too, about a month in – and I love them! I plan to write a review that addresses why I love them and why I think they’re pretty great value and an impressive effort from a young brand, but I want to comment on some of the earlier posts.

Firstly, for those talking about dropout issues. It sounds like there were either early production issues or the Bluetooth source was the issue. I’ve had nothing but amazing Bluetooth connectivity and can back up their claimed “4x industry standard” for signal range. They connect in an instant and I can leave my phone inside and walk 10s of metres away outside without the slightest hiccup. Absolutely no issue either walking around my admittedly small inner-city flat. I don’t know how you got the Bluetooth to perform so poorly but I hope you got it rectified.

Secondly, I wonder if those referring to its sound are judging it on Bluetooth performance alone instead of or in addition to passive/wired mode. Bluetooth is fine and as good or better than the wireless competition I tried (B&W P5 wasn’t even close), but you can only see what these are capable of in wired mode with your DAC/AMP of choice that removes any flavour of the built-in DAC/AMP and any DSP it *may* be doing. They should be judged against other wired headphones using the same DAC/AMP, and they can handle a pretty high load). They perform really well as wired headphones. Buy a decent 3.5 mm audio interconnect cable such as from Audioquest (don’t rely on the one supplied in the box) and with your portable DAC/AMP you’ve got a great sounding wired headphone with the bonus of Bluetooth wireless for when you want or need it.

I plan to discuss a few more of the pros and any cons for those interested in a dedicated review complète with attractive photos in due course, but I really do like these headphones.

PS: I got the very sexy 0.95 edition.
PPS: despite being over-ear I definitely class these in the portable range of headphones. They’re some of the slimmest and least chunky over-ear headphones I’ve seen.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #23 of 82
Congrats! These headphones deserve a bump! I’m a relatively new owner too, about a month in – and I love them! I plan to write a review that addresses why I love them and why I think they’re pretty great value and an impressive effort from a young brand, but I want to comment on some of the earlier posts.

Firstly, for those talking about dropout issues. It sounds like there were either early production issues or the Bluetooth source was the issue. I’ve had nothing but amazing Bluetooth connectivity and can back up their claimed “4x industry standard” for signal range. They connect in an instant and I can leave my phone inside and walk 10s of metres away outside without the slightest hiccup. Absolutely no issue either walking around my admittedly small inner-city flat. I don’t know how you got the Bluetooth to perform so poorly but I hope you got it rectified.

Secondly, I wonder if those referring to its sound are judging it on Bluetooth performance alone instead of or in addition to passive/wired mode. Bluetooth is fine and as good or better than the wireless competition I tried (B&W P5 wasn’t even close), but you can only see what these are capable of in wired mode with your DAC/AMP of choice that removes any flavour of the built-in DAC/AMP and any DSP it *may* be doing. They should be judged against other wired headphones using the same DAC/AMP, and they can handle a pretty high load). They perform really well as wired headphones. Buy a decent 3.5 mm audio interconnect cable such as from Audioquest (don’t rely on the one supplied in the box) and with your portable DAC/AMP you’ve got a great sounding wired headphone with the bonus of Bluetooth wireless for when you want or need it.

I plan to discuss a few more of the pros and any cons for those interested in a dedicated review complète with attractive photos in due course, but I really do like these headphones.

PS: I got the very sexy 0.95 edition.
PPS: despite being over-ear I definitely class these in the portable range of headphones. They’re some of the slimmest and least chunky over-ear headphones I’ve seen.

Hey simonm, I know doing reviews takes a lot of time. I’m strongly considering the MW60’s and was curious if you were going to post your review. Or if perhaps you had some additional comments since Feb.

I don’t understand why threads like the B&W PX have hundreds of posts but the MW60 has just over 20.

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #24 of 82

Definitely like em a lot straight out of the box. Sound signature is really similar to my Fostex TH-X00, just slightly less open and clear (to be expected since these are fully closed). I use my TH-X00s at work and the TH-600 at home and to be honest, there isnt a huge difference when using typical sources like Spotify Premium.

I have two gripes with the MW60s though:
1. The left cup doesnt seem to really fit right. I can't tell why but it wont seal properly. It could just be my head or ears but I haven't had this issue with other headphones. Swapping the left and right ear pads did seem to help though. Kinda odd.
2. The adjustment mechanism doesnt have clicks and seems to slip on its own. It still maintains a good fit on my head, but you just cant force the headphones to sit higher on your ears or be "tighter"
That's a killer for me. I had the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over-Ear (HD1 now), but the left side slider was so loose it would not allow for a tighter fit (which is needed when simply cleaning about the house and such). The B&W headphones I have also feature a sliding mechanism, but it's firm enough to where it will allow for a tighter fit.

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #25 of 82
Hey simonm, I know doing reviews takes a lot of time. I’m strongly considering the MW60’s and was curious if you were going to post your review. Or if perhaps you had some additional comments since Feb.

I don’t understand why threads like the B&W PX have hundreds of posts but the MW60 has just over 20.

Thanks!
I think it's because the PX are similarly luxurious, but have more features. Also, many regard their predecessor, the P7W, as one of the best wireless headphones, like, ever.

I'd also image the price is a little high for what you get. Sure, the materials are killer, but we're still looking at Micro USB, no ANC, and no app. The PX, on the other hand, also has great materials, USB C, USB digital audio connection, multi-point, connect to 3.5mm or USB audio source AND maintain BT connection with phone for incoming calls, adjustable ANC (allow for audio pass thru whilst cancelling low rumbles), up-samples audio signal to 768 kHz, AAC & aptX HD, 22 hour battery (vs MW60 16 hours), the same or similar proprietary drive units used in the P9, and sensors that turn the headphones on and off when you remove them.

$550 for the MW60 is just not compelling enough for the materials alone. The P7W, can still be found for $399, so it's up against some very stiff, well regarded competition.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #26 of 82
Okay, time for my first impressions of MW60 from Master & Dynamic

- The package they come in is absolutely beautiful, large, and has everything you could require, adapters, cables
- They come with a good-looking carrying case
- the build quality is outstanding, full brown leather, with full metal frame. Absolutely amazing. Everything feels well made and well designed.
- They are absolutely beauitful in person, silver and brown leather works so amazingly well for them
- The cables they come with are quite soft, and flexible, they seem to resist well to usage. The cables are not springy at all, so there is a plus for comfort.
- Earpads have their own frame and are attached by magnets, easy to take off, in case you will ever want to replace those
- MW60 has Bluetooth, even APT-X, it is recognized immediately by my Xiaomi Mi Max 3, and it works flawlessly together. even while walking or running.
- The comfort of MW60 is excellent. The pads are on the small side, and they touch my ears, but the pads are really soft and comfortable, they feel considerably more comfortable than say, sig DXP, which has larger pads, but which are harder, and although do not touch my ears, feel harder on the head. The pressure on MW60 is juuust right. They are not for running, and wouldn't work for running, but they are okay for walking, if you're not too quick on your step (the seal is gentle).
- Overall, MW60 sits like a feather on the head, and they aren't quite that heavy, so no neck strain even after good hours of usage
- The cable is slightly microphonic, but nothing serious.
- Bluetooth is implemented extremely well in this one, with entry-level sources, Bluetooth sounds better if using APT-X, while with high-end sources, the wired connection sounds better. MW60 scales a LOT with high-end sources, so it sounds MUCH MUCH better with iBasso DX200, FiiO X7mkii, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, than it does with entry-level soruces. MUCH better. I rarely see a headphone scale so well with sources.
- The headphones can be folded so they do not take a lot of space during transport.
- The sound is quite amazing. I would call this sound wam on an overall level. It has a slight tendency to be smooth as well. The bass goes fairly low and has good impact. The bass is focused around ~45 - 60 Hz. Natural speed for the most part, leaning towards slow. Satisfying deep hits.
- The overall sound is warm, musical, organic. The midrange is natural in tuning, the upper midrange is slightly recessed, so emotion in female vocals can be a tad smooth, not the best for serious or sad music. The midrange is a tad more forward than the main treble.
- Normal / slightly small soundstage width, fair depth. Amazing instrument separation. Reminds me of how well separated a headphone in this price range can be.
- The treble is present, but recessed compared to the midrange and the bass, balanced with the rest of the signature for a commercial / enjoyable headphone
- They sound works well with Metallica, Dethklok, Pendlum, Rings of Saturn, Eminem, Lunecell, Mindless Self Indulgence, basically music that doesn't require a faster bass, and which likes a lot of bass.I think this is a good midrange headphone for the casual listener, they should satisfy every single listener well, unless you want a bright tuning, or more detail, those are not bright, but actually fairly warm and smooth, reminds me a bit of Meze 99 Classics after EQ. Everything sounds natural, the textgure doesn't feel forced nor analytical, just simply works. Everything is blended really well together.
- Most of those tests have been done with either Bluetooth or iFi xDSD or more expensive sources, like DX200, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, and more expensive sources, they really scale well, but you can experience their full might with their Bluetooth sound, if you have APT-X capable sources.
- So what those aren't: They aren't bright, they aren't very analytical, they aren't bassy, they aren't specific, they aren't overly detailed, they aren't absolutely balanced nor linear
- And what they are: They are a really comfortable headphone, with a natural sound, natural to slightly slow overall speed, good extension both ways, you can hear the air in the treble and the sub-bass, they are fair in the soundstage, and naturally separated, there is a good depth, as well as a good width to the sound.
- Overall, I am really pleased with what Master & Dynamic have done with MW60, and I will be posting a full in-depth review in the future.

[EDIT: I have edited my early impressions to better reflect the sound after minor burn-in, about 5 hours of music being played. Some users have pointed out that those burn-in after a while, and I find that to be true. After a bit of play, the sound seems to be considerably warmer, with more bass, less treble, the sound is less sharp, less rough, right now I think they have a bit of a dip in the upper midrange, so they won't work well with sad music. I will be writing my full review after more burn-in, so I don't induce errors. I will also test the pairing with more entry-level sources now. They really prefer a neutral or a bright source above a wam source]

I will be around to answer questions though :)

DyaDVV2WoAAXLoN.jpg:large

DyaDw4-WoAYCdlM.jpg:large

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #29 of 82
So, I purchased these today...it was an impulse buy. Best Buy had them on sale today for $349 and I had rewards/gift cards burning a hole in my pocket so I pulled the trigger and got them from my local store.

I've only had them on for less than an hour but I already like them. I did a quick test of the wireless connection on my iPhone and now I'm just listening to them wired from my Oppo HA-2SE. In this mode they sound very similar to my Meze 99 Classics though I haven't done detailed comparisons (I did a quick swap and the Meze's appear easier to drive while the MW60 soundstage is a little more hollow; again haven't done a deep/long comparison).

They are heavier than the Meze but they feel comfortable on my head. The pads are great! The clamp seems just right and they stay put without me having to set the band really tight. That's a good thing because I can tell that if the headband is forced down a bit I will certainly feel it on my noggin.

The main allure to me was the classic style and the versatility of wired/wireless connection. I already have ANC headphones for air/train rides so this is just something nice to have in the house or in the hotel room on extended business trips.

Before I bought them I searched the internet and Head-Fi for reviews. The general consensus was that it was a great (beautiful) design and the sound was good but nothing to merit the premium price. With the discount I would say these are an excellent set of headphones at a great value. I am surprised to see these haven't gotten much love here at Head-Fi.

Jun 23, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #30 of 82
I absolutely love my MW60. They are a sweet sounding listen, and I’ve found that using them wired definitely increases sound quality, yet wireless they are still quite, quite good. I like the versatility of being able to use them wired for higher SQ yet untether for portable usage - and they are beautiful headphones on top of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back