Master & Dynamic MW50+ Convertable On & Over Ear Wireless w/ Beryllium
May 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 40
Very definitely got my attention, too! I posted the link yesterday in the MH40 thread here. It's very intriguing because of the included two sets of pads to quickly go between On-Ear vs Over-Ear due to the magnetic ease with which they can be swapped.

And yes, gorgeous indeed! It looks like they don't ship until June 15?

May 27, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 40
I'm currently looking for a good (preferably wireless) commuting headphone to use on the train to and from work - see the thread here - and these are looking pretty good. I like the styling on the Master & Dynamic sets - especially in black - I just hope the full-size pads offer good isolation and the clamping force isn't too much or too little.

If anyone here has used the big or little brothers (MW60, MW50), please feel free to reply to this or on the thread linked above to let me know how they were and if they'll fit my needs - thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 40
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #7 of 40
Just got these over the weekend and they're incredible. I much prefer them to the BeoPlay H9i and the Bowers and Wilkins P7 Wireless I was trying out before. They do incredible things in the mid range, particularly with vocals and string instruments. They're also super comfortable to boot, and seem to be about the same weight as the Bose QC35II — albeit not built of plastic and shoestrings.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 40
Well that’s great to hear! I ordered a pair from masterdynamic.com last week but haven’t received a tracking number of any sort.

I’ve also tried the Beoplay H9i - for me the highs were just too much. And ANC didn’t work when walking (it would magnify every step with a boomy noise).

The B&W PX felt like a boat anchor on my head after 55 minutes on the train, and would fall off my head if I bent forward, so they didn’t work out either.

The Sennheiser HD-1’s would cut out while walking with my phone in my pocket. Their Bluetooth implementation is flawed in my experience with them. The bass was also really sad. I’m not a bass-head but they felt really under powered - plugging them in and listening via audio jack made them come to life, but I need something portable.

I’m going to try these MW50+ cans alongside a pair of Sony WH-1000XM2’s and see what happens!

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 40
I tried a couple of those as well. I agree with you with the H9i, the highs were particularly unbearable over bluetooth but would calm down on USB somehow. As for the PX, I didn't really get to try them for very long because it felt like my head was in a vice grip, but I remember them sounding alright until you turned on ANC.

I think you'll really like these!

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 40
Yeah ANC on the PX made them sound pretty terrible.

How do you find the different ear pads on the MW50+’s? Do the on-ears sound better/worse/same compared to the over-ears? Are there any current reviews that you felt accurately represent your experience?

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 40
This review actually reflected my experience pretty well:

https://www.themasterswitch.com/review-master-dynamic-mw50

I stumbled upon it when I was looking at their 2018 wireless headphone roundup (https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-wireless-headphones). Which was also an excellent read, except for the fact that they didn't mention that the PX can be used as an interrogation device when worn for more than 5 minutes.

The way I would characterize the sound difference with the over the ear pads is that they create a much wider soundstage. You likely get my meaning, but it's like going from sitting in front of your stereo to going to a concert venue. They have more separation and dynamics without coming apart at the seams. That being said, they also sound really nice with the on-ear pads — it's just different, they're easier to listen to, slightly more extended on the low end, and overall less dramatic.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 40
This review actually reflected my experience pretty well:

https://www.themasterswitch.com/review-master-dynamic-mw50

I stumbled upon it when I was looking at their 2018 wireless headphone roundup (https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-wireless-headphones). Which was also an excellent read, except for the fact that they didn't mention that the PX can be used as an interrogation device when worn for more than 5 minutes.

The way I would characterize the sound difference with the over the ear pads is that they create a much wider soundstage. You likely get my meaning, but it's like going from sitting in front of your stereo to going to a concert venue. They have more separation and dynamics without coming apart at the seams. That being said, they also sound really nice with the on-ear pads — it's just different, they're easier to listen to, slightly more extended on the low end, and overall less dramatic.

Thanks for the impressions. So you wouldn't say that the over-ear pads degrade the bass? The Verge review says it's outright lost with those pads, but I'm hoping that review's an anomaly.

Jul 24, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #13 of 40
I wonder what the concensus will end up being when more reviews are out. Considering these have already gotten a 9/10 and a 5/10, it makes me think either one reviewer was paid or hasty, or there was a broken/defective unit involved...

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 40
I wonder how M&D is trying to position these headphones amongst their lineup. For example, why would I buy the MW60 as over-ear cans if I can get the MW50+? Or another thought exercise would be: if they release an MW60+ with over and on-ear pads, upgraded to USB-C, with beryllium drivers, why would I buy that vs the MW50+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back