Master Clock Talk
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #3,286 of 3,361
After my disappointment with the Mutec Ref Nano I picked up another OCK 2. Sold my old one for 500 figuring the Nano would be an upgrade which I found out was not the case. Had to buy new for for over 700 so a lesson learned. Only good thing is the new one is black where the one I sold was the original greenish color.
an hour out of the cold box this is sounding awesome with the Tubulus Concentus 75 ohm cable. I have added GIK Slatfusors behind the Persona 5F’s and takes away any type of sibilance and also acts as bass traps.
Now I just have to leave well enough alone and enjoy the system!!

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #3,287 of 3,361
After my disappointment with the Mutec Ref Nano I picked up another OCK 2. Sold my old one for 500 figuring the Nano would be an upgrade which I found out was not the case. Had to buy new for for over 700 so a lesson learned. Only good thing is the new one is black where the one I sold was the original greenish color.
an hour out of the cold box this is sounding awesome with the Tubulus Concentus 75 ohm cable. I have added GIK Slatfusors behind the Persona 5F’s and takes away any type of sibilance and also acts as bass traps.
Very nice system you have there. Bet it sounds excellent.

Mine is more modest, but if you drew a Venn diagram there's a wee bit of overlap.. a Puritan & dedicated grounds, and a dash of beryllium, oh and an OCK-2.

Just to test your resolve on your last statement, have you tried signal grounding the OCK-2? If not, try it sometime. I can recommend Mundorf copper foils as conductors. The more the better.

20240208_202853.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #3,288 of 3,361
Anyway... au contraire, the sonic improvement from insertion of an A5 size 0.5mm thick graphite foil sheet between the HT and power cables it was passing over was.. unsubtle. Juicier bass, a more full bodied, palpable sound with FAR less high frequency and midrange glare.. just much easier and more satisfying to listen to with more a delicate decay to boot. System is sounding sublime just now. If this 'tweak' had cost $100 it'd be a superb bang for buck improvement... as it was I got ten of these sheets from AliX for not much more than $10.

Moral of the story, pay close attention to the proximity of signal cables, especially clock cables, to power cables, and if you have the means some precautionary localised shielding might be worth a shot...
Hav you some pics ?

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #3,289 of 3,361
What is the setup/chain?

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #3,290 of 3,361
Melco Na1ex>Etheregen>clock>Bricasti M3

Feb 8, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #3,291 of 3,361
When grounding the OCK 2 I would run it to the Puritan? How would I set the switches?

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #3,292 of 3,361
Melco Na1ex>Etheregen>clock>Bricasti M3
Now I see why. Did you not try other DACs than Bricasti M3? - with Mutec

---
You should have experimented with a "warm" external psu for that Mutec...

or take the risk and try this with your ER

https://www.abbasaudio.com/2023/10/02/tube-master-clock/

If my dacs were not as warm sounding I would give this a try 100%

---- I am 80% wanting to buy this for my Afterdark X1...Always wanted to make the network warmer.

---
Disclaimer
This post has no offense. I don´t know which speakers/headphone you are using, they might be a perfect fit. Bricasti M3 in the scenarios I have tried needed some really warm speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #3,293 of 3,361
When grounding the OCK 2 I would run it to the Puritan? How would I set the switches?
Your question about the optimal GND/ISO switch setting is a good one, and embarrassingly, given all the tweaking and A-B comparisons I've done, this was something I'd completely overlooked in the context of signal grounding via the OCK-2's BNC ouputs. Finally got around to testing them this morning, Sat am here. They were back* on the factory defaults with square set to ISO and sine to GND.

GND sounds much better than ISO for grounded BNC sockets of the OCK-2 irrespective of whether they are sine or square, or signal carrying or not. *Previously - pre-grounding - I'd never noticed any particularly audible difference in switching between the two.

So.. thanks for the prompt to check this. My system sounds better for it.

Signal grounding chains are:

OCK-2 BNCs (outer ground conductor ring) > foil > Puritan Ground-master green input terminal > GM > GM black out terminal > ground cable > dedicated ground rod

OR

OCK-2 BNCs > foil > dedicated Ground box

I actually find the ground box sounds better.

<moved discussion of possible reason for this to Puritan thread>

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pur...sm156-power-conditioners.963397/post-17965828

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #3,294 of 3,361
Pardon my stupidity can somebody share how to copy a question from a previous quote? Thanks

Anyways Bricasti M3 is the only Dac I own so that what I tested on. The OCK 2 was my first foray into clocks and was a nice bump especially when you moved up the cabling line. Mutec has a great name and figured for 1800 it was an affordable upgrade. I knew that it could be upgraded with an LPS but I figured it had to sound at least “good’ stock and could upgrade PS down the line. It does not sound good stock and I figured why spend another 1200 ( after cabling) on a good power supply when I could put 3k into an upgraded Dac .
Just didn’t make sense.
There is a few of them out there right now and I have not heard a peep. The OCK 2 sounds better than the stock Nano in my system and it’s a pretty big margin. The Mutec may sound a little more resolving but is not musical at all stock. If you have a 15 volt PS it’s probably worth a try as you can get a trial.

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #3,295 of 3,361
Pardon my stupidity can somebody share how to copy a question from a previous quote? Thanks

Anyways Bricasti M3 is the only Dac I own so that what I tested on. The OCK 2 was my first foray into clocks and was a nice bump especially when you moved up the cabling line. Mutec has a great name and figured for 1800 it was an affordable upgrade. I knew that it could be upgraded with an LPS but I figured it had to sound at least “good’ stock and could upgrade PS down the line. It does not sound good stock and I figured why spend another 1200 ( after cabling) on a good power supply when I could put 3k into an upgraded Dac .
Just didn’t make sense.
There is a few of them out there right now and I have not heard a peep. The OCK 2 sounds better than the stock Nano in my system and it’s a pretty big margin. The Mutec may sound a little more resolving but is not musical at all stock. If you have a 15 volt PS it’s probably worth a try as you can get a trial.
Easier just to hit reply😊👍

Bricasti is very nice. Anything added to the chain should be noticeable. After some reading upon power I don’t think Mutec is suited for systems that are not on the warm side. Unless powersupply can be used.

I think those who will have the noticeable improvement is the warmer analog sounding systems. Thats the reason OCK-2 suits it better imo. It has better powersupply.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #3,296 of 3,361
Click on the arrow-up in a circle, will bring you to the quoted post. Highlight your selection and hit "+quote" button. Then go back to the original post, hit reply button or add more selections to the multi-quote.

You will see new button below editing window, it will bring a quote(s) at a cursor position.

Feb 11, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #3,297 of 3,361
Thanks

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #3,298 of 3,361
4006C5FC-9A6B-43DE-B9AA-E35EB93B2B7A.jpeg

I bought this from Alibaba(picture from alibaba)

There are no symbols on the output ports however the description says 3x square outputs 75Ohm/10Mhz.

---

For 5-6 months I have been using only the motherboard ethernet. I switched on the Afterdark X1 with this master clock powered by the ATX/AX1600i(12V DC Ghent cable)

Obvious difference: black level on Afterdark X1 is just so immense, the holographic experience, layering, the instrument panning(between Left and Right) are more directional, easier to follow.

I can not verify how good this master clock is, but only thing I am certain of, is the Afterdark X1 vs the motherboard ethernet. AD X1 seriously feels like I have added extra "audiophile" sound device to the system.

For 100dollars it makes the Afterdark X1 a very good affordable addition.

It has taken my R1N to the exact same black level I have on the R8H2 on the motherboard/ethernet. The same experience, it locks me into listening in my chair, the exact same what the R8H2 does.

R1N was fun, uplifting, airy, moving before, now it is all about authority, soundstage is so still, with no distraction.

---

Break-in: 1-2hours so far. Only connected to the Afterdark X1

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #3,299 of 3,361

I bought this from Alibaba(picture from alibaba)

There are no symbols on the output ports however the description says 3x square outputs 75Ohm/10Mhz.

---

For 5-6 months I have been using only the motherboard ethernet. I switched on the Afterdark X1 with this master clock powered by the ATX/AX1600i(12V DC Ghent cable)

Obvious difference: black level on Afterdark X1 is just so immense, the holographic experience, layering, the instrument panning(between Left and Right) are more directional, easier to follow.

I can not verify how good this master clock is, but only thing I am certain of, is the Afterdark X1 vs the motherboard ethernet. It seriously feels like I have added extra "audiophile" sound device to the system.

For 100dollars it makes the Afterdark X1 a very good affordable addition.

It has taken my R1N to the exact same black level I have on the R8H2 on the motherboard/ethernet. The same experience, it locks me into listening in my chair, the exact same what the R8H2 does.

R1N was fun, uplifting, airy, moving before, now it is all about authority, soundstage is so still, with no distraction.

---

Break-in: 1-2hours so far. Only connected to the Afterdark X1
Do you have a link from Alibaba for the device?

(nevermind - I found it)

So what are your thoughts so far?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #3,300 of 3,361
Do you have a link from Alibaba for the device?

(nevermind - I found it)

So what are your thoughts so far?
I like it very much however. I have powered it from my ATX/PSU and it creates a noise/tonevariations through the chain when the computer is shut off.

I bought external psu for it. If it makes the same weird tone/frequency variation I can not recommend it. I hopefully suspect the Corsair AX1600i even though I power two CBS220 switches from it without issues.

I will report back as soon as I have tested iPower X on the Masterclock this weekend😊👍

Sound is awesome absolutely no issues after boot/logon to Windows

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back