Master Clock Talk
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #3,271 of 3,397
Not quite sure on how all the measurements equate to SQ
I know the Mutec Nano I was so excited about measured way better than my LHY OCK 2
In real life the the OCK 2 sounded better overall
Now the Nano has the ability for an upgraded power source so I am sure that will kick it up a notch but stock the LHY sounds better for 40 % of the price.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #3,272 of 3,397
I know the Mutec Nano I was so excited about measured way better than my LHY OCK 2
In real life the the OCK 2 sounded better overall
Now the Nano has the ability for an upgraded power source so I am sure that will kick it up a notch but stock the LHY sounds better for 40 % of the price.
50Ohm or 75Ohm?

I have had superb performance with 75Ohm.

Maybe thats the reason for negative outcome on the measurement.

Poor 50Ohm cables?

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #3,273 of 3,397
75 ohm. Tubulus Concentus cabling along with Harmonic Tech III copper.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #3,274 of 3,397
They don’t equate to SQ or in fact to sound at all. The only relevant measurement is the effects of jitter (noise and distortion) on the analogue signal output by the DAC but at any reasonable listening level, the level of noise/distortion introduced by jitter in pretty much any DAC (even cheap ones) is below the level that can even be resolved into sound.

G

Jan 29, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #3,276 of 3,397
Hey fellas, how's things, had a bit of a break from this thread of late.. back to share an observation - that even the multi-layer- shielded HT DC III coax cable is rather sensitive to rogue electric fields from nearby power cables.

Background: prompted by an exchange on another thread today I was casually measuring the electric fields of my power cables with a Gigahertz Solutions electric and magnetic fields meter to see how they varied, if at all. The answer - significantly, for EFs anyway. One cable, a completely unshielded AliX woven spiral style with conductors visible through its clear insulation, turned out to be an EF emitting monster, some 5-20x more than other cables. Needless to say /Murphy's Law, it crossed paths with a number of other cables including my HT DC III clock cable feeding my DAC. You might think that the HT's multilayer shielding, and the fact the cables crossed at oblique if not right angles, would render the high EF fields moot.

(Side note - my measuring this evening of PCs' EFs showed that 0.5 and 1mm thick sheets of calendered graphite foil acted as potent shields of electric fields generated from such cables, reducing the field strength by up to 95%. Since before Christmas I already used these sheets to loosely shield my power cables from each other where they plug into my conditioner, selected on the basis of testing by ear with no measurements at that time.. a subtle but benefical effect per cable that is cumulative).

Anyway... au contraire, the sonic improvement from insertion of an A5 size 0.5mm thick graphite foil sheet between the HT and power cables it was passing over was.. unsubtle. Juicier bass, a more full bodied, palpable sound with FAR less high frequency and midrange glare.. just much easier and more satisfying to listen to with more a delicate decay to boot. System is sounding sublime just now. If this 'tweak' had cost $100 it'd be a superb bang for buck improvement... as it was I got ten of these sheets from AliX for not much more than $10.

Moral of the story, pay close attention to the proximity of signal cables, especially clock cables, to power cables, and if you have the means some precautionary localised shielding might be worth a shot...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #3,277 of 3,397
Hey @Jake2 all good here.

That's a nice discovery. I found that the Tubulus Concentus cable seems to have even better shielding than the Harmonic Technology. I also take care to dress them carefully so as to not touch or come close to other cables. I did play with some shielding sheets some time ago but didn't like the deadening effect they had on the sound. Must try that again now that my system balance is pretty much perfect.

Jan 29, 2024 at 7:05 AM Post #3,278 of 3,397
Hey @Jake2 all good here.

That's a nice discovery. I found that the Tubulus Concentus cable seems to have even better shielding than the Harmonic Technology. I also take care to dress them carefully so as to not touch or come close to other cables. I did play with some shielding sheets some time ago but didn't like the deadening effect they had on the sound. Must try that again now that my system balance is pretty much perfect.
Cheers Martin. Yes my component and cable layout is not what I'd term carefully dressed, let's just say it is.. transitional. Incidentally and ironically, the particularly noisy power cable was the one feeding my clock. Although it was a different PC it shared the same 30cm long Flux-50 filter as several other components and was clearly the highest EF emitter in that common cable section. Second worst emitter in that common cable section was my DAC. So perhaps use of well shielded power cables for noisy digital devices like clocks and DACs would be prudent going forwards. Noting both use LPS for what that's worth...

Finally I should mention for those interested my GS meter measures EF and MF in the range 16 Hz to 100 kHz.

Jan 29, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #3,279 of 3,397
Anyone here who have tried the Pink Faun BNC Cable(optimized for clock signal) - ?

or atleast have some links to some impressions?

---

I will pull the trigger anyway as I love the I2S cable so much. I am just wondering what others may have discovered in the cable.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #3,280 of 3,397
Hey fellas, how's things, had a bit of a break from this thread of late.. back to share an observation - that even the multi-layer- shielded HT DC III coax cable is rather sensitive to rogue electric fields from nearby power cables.

Background: prompted by an exchange on another thread today I was casually measuring the electric fields of my power cables with a Gigahertz Solutions electric and magnetic fields meter to see how they varied, if at all. The answer - significantly, for EFs anyway. One cable, a completely unshielded AliX woven spiral style with conductors visible through its clear insulation, turned out to be an EF emitting monster, some 5-20x more than other cables. Needless to say /Murphy's Law, it crossed paths with a number of other cables including my HT DC III clock cable feeding my DAC. You might think that the HT's multilayer shielding, and the fact the cables crossed at oblique if not right angles, would render the high EF fields moot.

(Side note - my measuring this evening of PCs' EFs showed that 0.5 and 1mm thick sheets of calendered graphite foil acted as potent shields of electric fields generated from such cables, reducing the field strength by up to 95%. Since before Christmas I already used these sheets to loosely shield my power cables from each other where they plug into my conditioner, selected on the basis of testing by ear with no measurements at that time.. a subtle but benefical effect per cable that is cumulative).

Anyway... au contraire, the sonic improvement from insertion of an A5 size 0.5mm thick graphite foil sheet between the HT and power cables it was passing over was.. unsubtle. Juicier bass, a more full bodied, palpable sound with FAR less high frequency and midrange glare.. just much easier and more satisfying to listen to with more a delicate decay to boot. System is sounding sublime just now. If this 'tweak' had cost $100 it'd be a superb bang for buck improvement... as it was I got ten of these sheets from AliX for not much more than $10.

Moral of the story, pay close attention to the proximity of signal cables, especially clock cables, to power cables, and if you have the means some precautionary localised shielding might be worth a shot...
As always, great stuff!
I have a HT lll silver for my OCk-1. Have you experimented with Ferrite's for clock cables?

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #3,281 of 3,397
I have a HT lll silver for my OCk-1. Have you experimented with Ferrite's for clock cables?
Not a good idea to use ferrites on a coax cables.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #3,283 of 3,397
As always, great stuff!
Cheers, and ferrites are not something I've experimented with sorry.

Feb 2, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #3,284 of 3,397

Users who are viewing this thread

Back