Master Clock Talk
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #1,246 of 3,397
I hear guys here asking about comparison between Gustard C18 and LHY OCK-2, I had both and now that I have sold my C18 I can voice out my opinion. I guess it is not hard to know that I prefer the OCK-2. I use Gustard U18 and X26 Pro, the OCK-2 performs better than C18 on my system. The soundstage is more open, more details and for a much cheaper price. I sold my C18 for a price higher than the brand new price of OCK-2, leaving some money for other upgrades.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,247 of 3,397
Not those two but..

In my rig the difference between Mutec REF10 SE120 <-120dBc/1Hz and the OCK-2 <-115dBc/1Hz, show a clear difference.

An analogy. The OCK-2 is good but with the Mutec in place it is like when You have changed the water and cleaned a salt water aquarium

So this is exactly why I said I'd prefer a more expensive OCXO for my AGD R7HE than a LHY OCK2, and you bite my head off 🤔

I will therefore invest in something around the 118/120 dBc range which to quote your own post will sound better than a LHY.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #1,248 of 3,397
So this is exactly why I said I'd prefer a more expensive OCXO for my AGD R7HE than a LHY OCK2, and you bite my head off 🤔

I will therefore invest in something around the 118/120 dBc range which to quote your own post will sound better than a LHY.
You are arguing with a guy who has (as somebody else pointed out upthread) probably the most hands-on experience with the biggest variety of clocks, DDCs, and has done some amazing mods to his gear. I think the point here is that it's unwise to make judgements about unverified specs or rule this or that out. If you want to do that, it's your time and money. But don't expect a positive reaction when you argue with the most helpful and knowledgeable guys in these threads.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #1,249 of 3,397
You are arguing with a guy who has (as somebody else pointed out upthread) probably the most hands-on experience with the biggest variety of clocks, DDCs, and has done some amazing mods to his gear. I think the point here is that it's unwise to make judgements about unverified specs or rule this or that out. If you want to do that, it's your time and money. But don't expect a positive reaction when you argue with the most helpful and knowledgeable guys in these threads.
I'm not arguing. I'm merely acknowledging the guy's logical and useful feedback that 120 sounds superior to 115 and I also want a 120 unit because I also want superior sound. What is wrong with that. Sounds like a lot of post-rationalisation going on here.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #1,250 of 3,397
I'm not arguing. I'm merely acknowledging the guy's logical and useful feedback that 120 sounds superior to 115 and I also want a 120 unit because I also want superior sound. What is wrong with that. Sounds like a lot of post-rationalisation going on here.

From the collective experience, it's unclear whether a clock which has better phase noise performance correlates to sound which everybody prefers. How much more so it is unwise to depend on claimed performance. In the less expensive clocks there has been some variance.

And, there are other variables that can have an impact on the sound, such as whether you're clocking a DI-20HE, Mutec, or some other DDC and also the DAC, or only the DAC. And probably more such as whether you prefer OSX, NOS etc.

For my choice I had additional criteria like having dedicated 50 and 75 ohm outputs, build quality, warranty and service.

If you want to spend money for a top clock, look at Mutec, Afterdark, Cybershaft. They are undoubtedly good, but you might prefer the sound you get from the OCK.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #1,251 of 3,397
From the collective experience, it's unclear whether a clock which has better phase noise performance correlates to sound which everybody prefers. How much more so it is unwise to depend on claimed performance. In the less expensive clocks there has been some variance.

And, there are other variables that can have an impact on the sound, such as whether you're clocking a DI-20HE, Mutec, or some other DDC and also the DAC, or only the DAC. And probably more such as whether you prefer OSX, NOS etc.

For my choice I had additional criteria like having dedicated 50 and 75 ohm outputs, build quality, warranty and service.

If you want to spend money for a top clock, look at Mutec, Afterdark, Cybershaft. They are undoubtedly good, but you might prefer the sound you get from the OCK.
Thanks 👍

Mar 16, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,252 of 3,397
Gentlemen, how is it with these clocks in the end?
These clocks that are sold on aliexpress and on ebay, are they fakes, of lower quality than those offered directly by Beatechnik?
Is it possible to make a counterfeit of the OCK-2 clock so quickly? - a questionable thing.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #1,253 of 3,397
These clocks that are sold on aliexpress and on ebay, are they fakes, of lower quality than those offered directly by Beatechnik?
Is it possible to make a counterfeit of the OCK-2 clock so quickly? - a questionable thing.
I bought it direcly, I would recommend the same. Alvin from beatechnik is very helpful, and they even follow up on the orders to confirm the tracking.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,254 of 3,397
Normally, it should look like sellers from aliexpress or ebay should buy from beatechnik and sell a clock that is absolutely indistinguishable from what Alvin sells.Moreover, everyone should care about such cooperation.
In my opinion, it is impossible to make a 1:1 copy in another factory, so it will be possible to check it sometime.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #1,255 of 3,397
I got my OCK-1 from an Ali reseller and it's the real deal. I just added a note at purchase that I require a 50ohm version. Shipped quick and got it sooner than projected by Ali.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,256 of 3,397
I also have OCK-1 bought on Ali and I still say that it was worth buying for this money.
But in my system OCK-1 connected to R7HE MK2 + DI20HE is inferior to Gustard C18.
I ordered the OCK-2 also on Ali, we'll see how the OCK-2 vs Gustard C18 comparison will come out in my system, I've been waiting two weeks for shipping.
The only thing I don't understand is why Alvin cuts himself off from the clocks sold on Ali?
I will try to make a visual comparison and measurements of two OCK-2 clocks in the future, one of mine bought on Ali and the other friend will order from Alvin and then everything will be known.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #1,257 of 3,397
I did something today that absolutely reinforces the importance of power supply quality for clocks. I replaced the PSU for my first clock, way upstream feeding the EtherREGEN before the optical link. I was using a Chinese Weiliang nondescript LPSU into my first AfterDark King clock and I have just replaced it with another Zero Zone ultracap PSU, the same as the one running my second AD clock. These are great LPSUs with low noise and Rubycon high capacitance storage, very good value from AliExpress.

Surely this is all too far away from the DAC to make a difference, right? Wrong.

There is a new smoothness of delivery and a further reduction of harshness, brightness and edginess. Resolution is up and the presentation is highly vivid and exciting. Bass has even more power (hard to imagine in my system) and dynamics remain as good as before. This has proven to be a great upgrade for not a lot of money.

Mar 16, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,258 of 3,397
51954868162_12dca96dbe_o.jpg

Mar 16, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,259 of 3,397
Wondered if I could get a little guidance. Using an EtherRegen to a Bricasti M3 Dac. I am open to any clock manufactures up to 1 k which would include a LPS ( if needed) ,cabling. since most of these coming from China really no chance of auditioning as even with a return period shipping back( cost me 225.00 to return a Dac once) is cost prohibitive. Sounds like LHY or an After Dark? Thanks for the tips

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #1,260 of 3,397

Users who are viewing this thread

Back