Master Clock Talk
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #77 of 3,360
Hi all,

So.. After the success with the new LHY Ock-1 that should be the replacement for my Oscillquartz (-90dBc/1Hz) in my smaller TV/music-head phone rig. The Ock-1 was much better than my expectations. I paid USD350 with a discount on Aliexpress for the Ock-1 and it is crazy cheap for a OCXO with a phase noise of <-110dBc/1Hz. Three outputs (two with sine wave and one with square wave) is fine for most and the Ock-1 will bring many music lovers, a high quality sound.

One thing leads to another for me. The LHY Ock-2 was newly announced and based on the surprisingly happy result with the Ock-1's with its relatively simple design and still with this performance, I just couldn't hold myself back from ordering the LHY Ock-2 from https://www.beatechnik.com/.. The Ock-2 has a more sophistcated PSU and the OCXO is said to have a phase noise of <-115dBc/1Hz. USD749 is a very attractive price for an OCXO on this level.

Today the doorbell rang and there was a Fedex lady with a box from Singapore. The Ock-2 was ice cold when it arrived so I let it rest to take the room temperature before I powered it up. I also took a few pictures of "its guts".

I have just put it to work/burn in and it is now providing its time pulse to the Gustard U18 (DDC) + R26 (R2R dac) (square wave on both)

I will compare this Ock-2 to the Ock-1 and to my "precious" Mutec REF10 SE120

To be continued....
/Jan

Attachments

• 20221125_114105.jpg
    20221125_114105.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_114143.jpg
    20221125_114143.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_114224.jpg
    20221125_114224.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_114232.jpg
    20221125_114232.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_120251.jpg
    20221125_120251.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_120321.jpg
    20221125_120321.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_120334.jpg
    20221125_120334.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221125_125155.jpg
    20221125_125155.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #79 of 3,360
Thank you, @JaMo , for sharing.
Was the box designed to open easily?
What is the use of the ISO/Ground selectors left to the impedance selectors?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #80 of 3,360
What are the ISO/Ground selectors left to the impedance selectors?
Hi @Dandoudou

I will pass that question on to the seller->designer-producer. I have an idea but I don't want to distort any info. I will write a review of this Master Clock in a while and by then I will have the correct info of the functionality of the GND/ISO dipswitches.

A few hours with power on, the sound is very promising.... already.
/Jan

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #81 of 3,360
What is the use of the ISO/Ground selectors left to the impedance selectors?
Sorry, I overlooked Your other question about the box opening. The bottom lid with the four feet is fixed with six screws for 2 mm Allen key. An easy task to open it. But be careful to use good quality Allen tool for a solid fit. 2 mm is tiny a tiny tool and You don't want to get screws "Allen holes, (hexagon shaped)" damaged.
/Jan

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #82 of 3,360
Hi all,

So.. After the success with the new LHY Ock-1 that should be the replacement for my Oscillquartz (-90dBc/1Hz) in my smaller TV/music-head phone rig. The Ock-1 was much better than my expectations. I paid USD350 with a discount on Aliexpress for the Ock-1 and it is crazy cheap for a OCXO with a phase noise of <-110dBc/1Hz. Three outputs (two with sine wave and one with square wave) is fine for most and the Ock-1 will bring many music lovers, a high quality sound.

One thing leads to another for me. The LHY Ock-2 was newly announced and based on the surprisingly happy result with the Ock-1's with its relatively simple design and still with this performance, I just couldn't hold myself back from ordering the LHY Ock-2 from https://www.beatechnik.com/.. The Ock-2 has a more sophistcated PSU and the OCXO is said to have a phase noise of <-115dBc/1Hz. USD749 is a very attractive price for an OCXO on this level.

Today the doorbell rang and there was a Fedex lady with a box from Singapore. The Ock-2 was ice cold when it arrived so I let it rest to take the room temperature before I powered it up. I also took a few pictures of "its guts".

I have just put it to work/burn in and it is now providing its time pulse to the Gustard U18 (DDC) + R26 (R2R dac) (square wave on both)

I will compare this Ock-2 to the Ock-1 and to my "precious" Mutec REF10 SE120

To be continued....
/Jan

Congratulations. I own an OCK-1 ( 50Ω all outputs ), really like the way it works with the DI20HE, the DAC has no BNC input. For the future the OCK-2 version with impedance switching is very interesting.
Looking forward to your impressions, interesting.
p.s. please tell me, what is the additional switch next to the resistance switch: GND or ISO ?

Nov 26, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #83 of 3,360
It may be to switch between output ground (the device that the clock signal is provided to) and the OCK’s own ground. Doing the former would effectively isolate the ground, but also require the OCK to reference the clock signal to the output ground.

Seeing how it’s a per-output setting, that would be complex to get right, and require some isolators that could again introduce some jitter. *or* and perhaps more likely, it naively assumes that the output ground is the same in level as the OCK ground. That would not be an entirely bad assumption, but YMMV and hence the switch.

All of this is just a guesstimate.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 6:03 AM Post #84 of 3,360
It may be to switch between output ground (the device that the clock signal is provided to) and the OCK’s own ground. Doing the former would effectively isolate the ground, but also require the OCK to reference the clock signal to the output ground.

Seeing how it’s a per-output setting, that would be complex to get right, and require some isolators that could again introduce some jitter. *or* and perhaps more likely, it naively assumes that the output ground is the same in level as the OCK ground. That would not be an entirely bad assumption, but YMMV and hence the switch.

All of this is just a guesstimate.
Found it online:
"ISO - input and output 'masses'
are galvanically isolated.
GND - input and output masses
are galvanically connected directly."

Nov 26, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #88 of 3,360
I would like to thank this thread and forum for raising my awareness to the OCK-1. It replaced the popular BG7TBL (with FE-180 ocxo) powered by Sean Jacobs DC3 in my system. The improvement was immediately noticeable and exceeded my expectations. The impact was very noticeable. I only have 1 device to feed (the Uptone ER), but am still considering the OCK-2 if it proves to be a substantial improvement over the OCK-1. Looking forward to the comparisons.

My clock cable is DIY, using Neotech Nevd-2001 and gold plated Aeco BNC connectors.

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #89 of 3,360
I would like to thank this thread and forum for raising my awareness to the OCK-1. It replaced the popular BG7TBL (with FE-180 ocxo) powered by Sean Jacobs DC3 in my system. The improvement was immediately noticeable and exceeded my expectations. The impact was very noticeable. I only have 1 device to feed (the Uptone ER), but am still considering the OCK-2 if it proves to be a substantial improvement over the OCK-1. Looking forward to the comparisons.

My clock cable is DIY, using Neotech Nevd-2001 and gold plated Aeco BNC connectors.
Great idea making your own bnc cable.

How difficult is it to terminate the BNC ? I've never done that one before and I'd like to go that route also.

Nov 26, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #90 of 3,360
Great idea making your own bnc cable.

How difficult is it to terminate the BNC ? I've never done that one before and I'd like to go that route also.
It was no more than 15 minutes of work. I highly recommend it due to cost savings.

I did have to solder the center pin onto the conductor. The connectors come with multiple pin sizes (to adapt to your conducto. The shield must make contact with the outer lip of the bnc connector. Very difficult to describe with words and no photos. Each connector has its own mounting mechanism. If you do go with Aeco connectors lets strike up a separate chat over PM.

This cable replaced the Ghent Audio BNC and Geistnote Harmony clock cables. It is directional, and much more resolving than the others. This was with the bg7tbl too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back