Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,217 of 2,613
I never saw anywhere the drop stating it was a limited run. Just that it ended Feb. 19th. I guess I missed that bit of info somehow. Missdrop.

It's pure capacity mathematics. 10,000 people were standing in that line. In a few hours' time they had taken orders from 500 of lucky among those and now they will produce this batch by May. 9500 people still standing in the queue.

In order to satisfy such a huge demand capacity increase is required.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #1,219 of 2,613
they sold out CRAZY fast. im annoyed because i was sitting at my desk all morning doing invoices and i did not get any email from massdrop other then the normal check out these products one. if i had an email it would have popped up on my screen and i would have ordered. i am trying to get 2 units for family members who want one very much. im hoping maybe tomm they will add more. who knows.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,221 of 2,613
I am so glad I impulsively pushed the join button on the 789 back in Nov.

Sadly the economic solution to a supply and demand problem such as this is to raise the price :frowning2:

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,223 of 2,613
Not sure what's your expectation to say is worth it or not.... But based on your hp collection, 789 will drive them very well and maybe you'll need to invest in a balanced cable for the cans

I have balance cables on the way. But I just noticed from others here that the drop is already ended. Wonder how long it will be to the next drop?

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,224 of 2,613
When I noticed the THX 789 drop was active this morning, my first thought was I would now be spared the numerous unnecessary posts asking the unanswerable (by anyone on this forum) question, "When will this drop again?" Sadly, for both me and many frustrated potential buyers, the respite was all too brief.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #1,226 of 2,613
Just give up, man :) I can't imagine reading "worth it?" every other day until next drop :wink:

Then don't read my posts. :wink: Either way I don't think I have asked that often. I just want to make sure I would be getting my money's worth that's all. Guess this is one of those long term investment things.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,228 of 2,613
How is the pairing between 789 and Grado? Haven't read much about this combo.
It's a good pairing, the 789 has enough current to drive Grados properly. The only issue is that the volume pot is on the cheap side and is not balanced at low levels, so you need to reduce the volume on the DAC or use a DAC with low output.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #1,229 of 2,613
It's a good pairing, the 789 has enough current to drive Grados properly. The only issue is that the volume pot is on the cheap side and is not balanced at low levels, so you need to reduce the volume on the DAC or use a DAC with low output.

Or you can get a $20 ifi ear buddy for the thx and be able to use any super efficient headphones on the market including iems and not have to worry about adjusting dac volumes or the volume pot

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #1,230 of 2,613
Or you can get a $20 ifi ear buddy for the thx and be able to use any super efficient headphones on the market including iems and not have to worry about adjusting dac volumes or the volume pot
That seems reasonable for single ended headphones, balanced would be too many adapters. Anyway I have no experience with the ear buddy but in theory it should work without much sound degradation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back