Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #856 of 2,613
So as a total newbie what would be the reasons to consider this amp (have to add a dac as well) over the Schiit Jot w/ internal dac?

The Jot is a good amp. In regards to the amplifier section only, I prefer the 789 over the Jot because of the control layout (sound reproduction is such a personal preference I won't go there). The 789 has 3 power levels with front panel control the Jot has two levels with the switch on the back panel, the power switch is on the front panel on the 789 (again the Jot's switch is on the back panel) and the 789 runs cool to the touch whereas the Jot runs quite warm.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #857 of 2,613
So as a total newbie what would be the reasons to consider this amp (have to add a dac as well) over the Schiit Jot w/ internal dac?

The Jot is a good amp. In regards to the amplifier section only, I prefer the 789 over the Jot because of the control layout (sound reproduction is such a personal preference I won't go there). The 789 has 3 power levels with front panel control the Jot has two levels with the switch on the back panel, the power switch is on the front panel on the 789 (again the Jot's switch is on the back panel) and the 789 runs cool to the touch whereas the Jot runs quite warm.

Agree with all this as well being an owner of both. By no means is the Jot a bad amp to me its still very good. I only have the amp in black, no dac with the Jot. I use a separate device for that. As for sound, again...that's a personal preference. I prefer the front layout more. There are charts out there for measurements of what the THX and the Jot can do so I will just leave it at that since I am not going to even pretend like I completely understand all the numbers and graphs. Ultimately I do not like to over think this stuff as I want to listen to and enjoy music. My sound preference is the THX. Very clean and accurate and has all the power I need. I would still recommend the Jot to someone since it is a solid amp that can be upgraded DAC-wise and be much easier to get a hold of than the THX since you have to wait for availability of the THX (to buy new of course) on massdrop vs going to Schiit's website to buy new or even B-stock. I have read many positives about the multibit DAC portion and ended up getting the Jot with the possibility open to upgrade when needed. I just happened to get a great deal on the RME ADI-2 (used) and then the THX became available recently. I am very happy with the THX but honestly, I cannot tell you that you would be losing out on so much listening enjoyment if you didn't get it and ended up with the Jot. Maybe even better if you got with the multibit dac to have an all-in-one device.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #858 of 2,613
I got my 789 last week and have had a few listening sessions now. So far I am happy with the Mimby => 789 => LCD3.

However, I have noticed a couple quirks of the 789 AMP.

1. I set my headphones down with the music paused for 10-15 minutes and when I came back I heard a significant deep humming sound in my headphones. I flipped the AMP off and back on and it was gone. I tested a few times and each time I return to this hum. No idea why the hum is there.

2. Turning the volume up all the way with nothing playing is silent initially. But if you play some music, pause it, then turn the volume up I hear the noise floor but after 30 seconds or so, it goes silent again.

Can anyone else duplicate these quirks. Maybe it is the technology inside that produces these quirks. Neither are constant, or destroy the listening experience, but happens only under the circumstances I explained.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #859 of 2,613
I got my 789 last week and have had a few listening sessions now. So far I am happy with the Mimby => 789 => LCD3.

1. I set my headphones down with the music paused for 10-15 minutes and when I came back I heard a significant deep humming sound in my headphones. I flipped the AMP off and back on and it was gone. I tested a few times and each time I return to this hum. No idea why the hum is there.

2. Turning the volume up all the way with nothing playing is silent initially. But if you play some music, pause it, then turn the volume up I hear the noise floor but after 30 seconds or so, it goes silent again.

Can anyone else duplicate these quirks. Maybe it is the technology inside that produces these quirks. Neither are constant, or destroy the listening experience, but happens only under the circumstances I explained.

I get hum as well with my lcd2c, but it goes away when i touch the amp with my hand. Its a static electricity issue for me. see if the hum goes away and comes back when you touch the amp and let go. I’ve got the mimby as well with mine. My setup is next to my bed and i gan get lots of hum if i scoot around and generate static more. Its worse now that its cold and dry here as well.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #860 of 2,613

1. I set my headphones down with the music paused for 10-15 minutes and when I came back I heard a significant deep humming sound in my headphones. I messed flipped the AMP off and back on and it was gone. I tested a few times and each time I return to this hum.

My setup is Enog2 Pro => 789 => LCD-X.. Haven't ever had this happen. Tried your examples. Nothing, but dead silence. Maybe it's the mimby? Or your connection? Or your player. I had some static/peaky noise in songs one day.. Closed app. Opened back up and was gone. Hasn't returned since.

Oh, also I'm running optical to DAC, balanced inputs.. Single ended out for now.. Until my balanced cable arrives.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #861 of 2,613
My setup is Enog2 Pro => 789 => LCD-X.. Haven't ever had this happen. Tried your examples. Nothing, but dead silence. Maybe it's the mimby? Or your connection? Or your player. I had some static/peaky noise in songs one day.. Closed app. Opened back up and was gone. Hasn't returned since.

Oh, also I'm running optical to DAC, balanced inputs.. Single ended out for now.. Until my balanced cable arrives.
I am running optical to the mimby as well. So, for you playing music - pausing music - and then turning the volume up all the way on high gain.. you hear no noise. The noise cuts out and stops after about 10 seconds for me.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #862 of 2,613
I get hum as well with my lcd2c, but it goes away when i touch the amp with my hand. Its a static electricity issue for me. see if the hum goes away and comes back when you touch the amp and let go. I’ve got the mimby as well with mine. My setup is next to my bed and i gan get lots of hum if i scoot around and generate static more. Its worse now that its cold and dry here as well.
You are right! The humming stops when I touch the case... I have it placed on a metal surface here at work which causes more static electricity vs. my desk at home. I have not experienced this with my other amps in the same location. So do you think this amp is less insulated from outside sources/static compared to more expensive amps?

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #863 of 2,613
I am running optical to the mimby as well. So, for you playing music - pausing music - and then turning the volume up all the way on high gain.. you hear no noise. The noise cuts out and stops after about 10 seconds for me.

Yeah I tried that.. Doesn't have any issue. So maybe Kathos is right.. My amp sits on a wooden desktop

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #864 of 2,613
You are right! The humming stops when I touch the case... I have it placed on a metal surface here at work which causes more static electricity vs. my desk at home. I have not experienced this with my other amps in the same location. So do you think this amp is less insulated from outside sources/static compared to more expensive amps?

im very curious if you were to ground the chassis to an rca barrel does the noise still remain? i have had a similar thing happen with other amps and it ended up being a poor ground on the amp.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #865 of 2,613

I’m not sure about that. Have you tried with different headphones as well? I’ve found that my lcd cause more hum than others.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #866 of 2,613
Yeah I tried that.. Doesn't have any issue. So maybe Kathos is right.. My amp sits on a wooden desktop

Mine is on a wooden nightstand next to my bed. It could be a mix of factors like the mimby and lcd in the chain. I might try with different dac and headphones to replicate. I’ve tried using ground elimination on everything in chain. 2 ebtech hum x for dac and amp and ifi idefender 3 for usb from pc with no luck. It seems its from the headphone somehow.

Its like The headphone is turning into some sort of conductor. For example I can have my iPad connected to AC power on a different outlet and when my headphones are on my head I can get hum when the iPad is in my hand and connected to an AC outlet. So the electricity from the wall is being conducted from the iPad through my hands up through my body and skull to the headphones and then from the headphones and then from the headphones to my amp.

It’s kind of freaky when you think about it. I’ve got juice going through my body. hopefully I don’t turn into the lawnmower man

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #867 of 2,613

I am using the m9XX DAC and have heard no hum. I have a Mimby in queue to test. I'll hook it up today and give it a run to see if I can repeat this. First I've heard of this in this thread. What's your connection between the Mimby and THX?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #868 of 2,613

I have two 789s and haven't exerienced anything similar to that.......

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #869 of 2,613
I haven't noticed any humming problem with the THX 789 in the week I've had it and did not hear any when I tried to duplicate it. I'm using a Focal Elex on gain 2; the THX is being fed Tidal Hifi through a Schiit Eitr and Mimby. FWIW, I'm connecting the Eitr to my laptop with an Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable, Blue Jeans Cable coaxial from Eitr to Miby and Blue Jeans RCAs to the THX.

Edit: In case it matters, I forgot to note that I am using the Elex from the balanced XLR output.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #870 of 2,613
I just changed my headphones around to see if I could replicate in other areas. I've got 2 thx amps in different locations to test. I unplugged the lcd2c from my bedside setup and hooked up my balanced hd6xx to it. I then scooted around a bit in bed to generate some static and could not get any hum. I'll keep them like this for a few days to see if hum ever comes back with those or not.

I already have a pretty good idea the issue is partly due to the Audeze headphones and their seeming ability to conduct electricity through the earpads and your body. Maybe the velour pads of the hd6xx keep this from happening as much. I've got the lcd2c on my other station right now that is just a wooden office desk and leather chair, so not much static being generated here, and so far no hum with the lcd2c and thx on this station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back