Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #961 of 2,613
Sure, that is what the pass through set of RCA jacks on the 789 is for. Many amps have pass through connectors so a splitter is not required to allow a single source to drive multiple amps. I do this all the time to compare amps and HPs.

Oh okay cool. Thank you.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #962 of 2,613
Thank you for the pictures. What kind of tactile feel do you get when using the buttons and knobs? Do they feel solid?

I think the buttons and knobs are solidly built. I don't see any wobbliness in my unit. The tactile feel for the press buttons and knobs are different though. For example, the power button is a stateless kind but the input button is a press/depress type. The volume knob is solid, no wobbliness and close to no resistance when turned from min to max. The gain switch has a satisfying soft-click feedback when turned, I can see people playing with this thing when the unit is powered off lol.

For what it's worth my unit's serial number is a few numbers past #300, I don't know how I got this number since there are supposedly over 1600 units sold already.

Jan 11, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #963 of 2,613
I think the buttons and knobs are solidly built. I don't see any wobbliness in my unit. The tactile feel for the press buttons and knobs are different though. For example, the power button is a stateless kind but the input button is a press/depress type. The volume knob is solid, no wobbliness and close to no resistance when turned from min to max. The gain switch has a satisfying soft-click feedback when turned, I can see people playing with this thing when the unit is powered off lol.

For what it's worth my unit's serial number is a few numbers past #300, I don't know how I got this number since there are supposedly over 1600 units sold already.

Thank you for that info. Perhaps you got a low serial number because they’re not shipping them out in numerical order. That’s just my guess. My Periapt XLR cable arrived today so I’ll get to play with that this weekend.

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #964 of 2,613
There is so much hype with these. My initial impression was that the amp sounded bright like a strong solid-state sound in a bad way.

When I listened to my HD6XX I noticed how brighter it sounded, and it should not. At least how this amp presents it. No wonder people prefer LCD2C out of this amp. Also, there was slight bass lag with HD6XX out of these, just the way it sounded, reminded me of my lofi amps from back in the days including O2. So, I got the impression of HD6XX responding slower than my main go to amp.

I was interested in the higher power and very low THD and realized that low THD doesn't mean squat when it comes to sound quality. That parameter doesn't directly translate to transparency. I have much better performing amps and I will state, there should be no unrealistic expectations that this amp can outperform upper tier amps. It performs more or less in it's price range. Also, the power didn't seem as strong as spec'd when trying out the HE6 that it's sounded off out of it, compared to real power.

It's not just a matter of tonality with these, I know there are better performing amps, but they are in another pricing zone, so it would not be a fair comparison.

I guess I had much greater expectations than warranted, and running into hype twice with CTH and this, I will never join another Massdrop for amps because so much hype.

Did Massdrop send a review unit to Z-reviews for hyping this up? I really can't take his reviews seriously anymore.

So, just a warning of don't get sucked into marketing stuff with whatever tech they like to call their stuff, use common sense.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #965 of 2,613
There is so much hype with these. My initial impression was that the amp sounded bright like a strong solid-state sound in a bad way.

When I listened to my HD6XX I noticed how brighter it sounded, and it should not. At least how this amp presents it. No wonder people prefer LCD2C out of this amp. Also, there was slight bass lag with HD6XX out of these, just the way it sounded, reminded me of my lofi amps from back in the days including O2. So, I got the impression of HD6XX responding slower than my main go to amp.

I was interested in the higher power and very low THD and realized that low THD doesn't mean squat when it comes to sound quality. That parameter doesn't translate to transparency. I have much better performing amps and I will state, there should be no unrealistic expectations that this amp can outperform upper tier amps. It performs more or less in it's price range. Also, the power didn't seem as strong as spec'd when trying out the HE6 that it's sounded off out of it, compared to real power.

It's not just a matter of tonality with these, I know there are better performing amps, but they are in another pricing zone, so it would not be a fair comparison.

I guess I had much greater expectations than warranted, and running into hype twice with CTH and this, I will never join another Massdrop for amps because so much hype.

Did Massdrop send a review unit to Z-reviews for hyping this up? I really can't take his reviews seriously anymore.
It's better to let it out, mate LOL.

Anyways, don't expect this amp to beat great higher-end amps. But I think it outperforms its price range. And it bests some under-performing higher-end amps.

Is this hyped? Sure. But it costs $350. I can forgive its shortcomings easier.

My advice for those who have tried TOTL type of amps, especially tube amps, stay out of this price range.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #966 of 2,613
It's better to let it out, mate LOL.

Anyways, don't expect this amp to beat great higher-end amps. But I think it outperforms its price range. And it bests some under-performing higher-end amps.

Is this hyped? Sure. But it costs $350. I can forgive its shortcomings easier.

My advice for those who have tried TOTL type of amps, especially tube amps, stay out of this price range.
I saw somebody running Yggdrasil as DAC to these. Why?! What is the point of having the Yggdrasil. That just seemed weird to me.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #968 of 2,613
Agreed. This would be the weak chain to the Yggy.

But I also saw more hideous mistakes that costs 5-10x the THX789 in their chains.
I saw a dude running a Utopia out of a Mojo. Lol. Oh yeah, and talking about how much better the $$ cables makes such a difference in the chain. So many weirds here.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #970 of 2,613

I was interested in the higher power and very low THD and realized that low THD doesn't mean squat when it comes to sound quality. That parameter doesn't directly translate to transparency. I have much better performing amps and I will state, there should be no unrealistic expectations that this amp can outperform upper tier amps. It performs more or less in it's price range. Also, the power didn't seem as strong as spec'd when trying out the HE6 that it's sounded off out of it, compared to real power.

So, just a warning of don't get sucked into marketing stuff with whatever tech they like to call their stuff, use common sense.

Yes this amp is on the brighter side and I agree with the Senn statement ..it doesn't pair well just like they don't pair well with some other gear..planar magnetic on the other hand ... ,yes my pre-fazor LCD-2 sounds dope
I wasn't expecting much when I purchased one since I already have H20 and very happy with it but was looking for clean ,natural and powerful amp to push my iFi IESL along with H20 ,this was no-brainer in comparison this amp is a different beast ,the efficiency is out of this world,both amp's have similar power output specs but when I connected this amp to IESL it was match made in heaven ,it also pairs well with thicker sounding gear like my R2R11
Sound wise in comparison to H20 (third party upgraded opamps)..slightly more analytical,90% tonality..not bad for $350 if you ask me :)
EDIT; might want to try optical toslink

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #971 of 2,613

You have the 6xx but did not enjoy the cth? What Amps do you have that you prefer? I've been dead set on getting the thx but I'm trying to sit on an Amp for a few years and want to be as satisfied as possible.

I've got an Afo on the way. Think those planars will play well with the thx? I only have cth right now

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #972 of 2,613
You have the 6xx but did not enjoy the cth? What Amps do you have that you prefer? I've been dead set on getting the thx but I'm trying to sit on an Amp for a few years and want to be as satisfied as possible.

I've got an Afo on the way. Think those planars will play well with the thx? I only have cth right now
The thing is, I didn't have the HD6XX back when I had the CTH. When I had the CTH, I compared it with a much higher-end amp (in terms of price), and I had no need for CTH around for it, although it probably performs at it's price-point. I think I'd prefer it more than the THX AAA 789 due to THX sounding a bit more analytical with sharper treble, but don't quite me on this because I didn't do a direct comparison.

I prefer a more natural presentation in terms of DAC to Amp. For example, I got rid of the RME ADI DAC-2 because it sounded like a typical chip DAC having that digital-ness to the sound. I like stuff that sounds more analog and realistic (but you can still hear the subtle nuances in the most natural way). In terms of headphones, I like headphones with a bit of mids body without sounding warm if that makes sense (mids are there out of necessity and definition, not for engulfing with warmth). It seems important to have good mids presence to have realistic tonality.

I could see THX not being a good match for something like HD800/S because it's tonal response. HD800/S are very DAC/Amp dependent. It can sound incredibly incisive with the wrong setup, and there will be too many wrong setups for it. Sadly, the only setups for HD800/S sounded most alluring was out of a few ridiculously expensive setups.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #973 of 2,613
The thing is, I didn't have the HD6XX back when I had the CTH. When I had the CTH, I compared it with a much higher-end amp (in terms of price), and I had no need for CTH around for it, although it probably performs at it's price-point. I think I'd prefer it more than the THX AAA 789 due to THX sounding a bit more analytical with sharper treble, but don't quite me on this because I didn't do a direct comparison.

I prefer a more natural presentation in terms of DAC to Amp. For example, I got rid of the RME ADI DAC-2 because it sounded like a typical chip DAC having that digital-ness to the sound. I like stuff that sounds more analog and realistic (but you can still hear the subtle nuances in the most natural way). In terms of headphones, I like headphones with a bit of mids body without sounding warm if that makes sense. It seems important to have good mids presence to have realistic tonality.

I could see THX not being a good match for something like HD800/S because it's tonal response. HD800/S are very DAC/Amp dependent. It can sound incredibly incisive with the wrong setup, and there will be too many wrong setups for it. Sadly, the only setups for HD800/S sounded most alluring was out of ridiculously expensive setups.

So what is your current setup that best fits your preference, so we have an idea of how much weight to give your opinion?

Jan 12, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #975 of 2,613
You don't have to give any weight if you don't think my opinion really matters, I'm just throwing it out there for those looking for information besides this is all great and dandy posts.
Maybe you did not understand before so I will try again. What is your current gear that fits your musical preference over the thx and hd6xx, and also include dac used with thx and hd6xx. Without this info it’s really hard to give any importance to your opinion, because for all we know you are comparing the thx to a setup that costs $10,000. Just give us a reference please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back