Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #916 of 2,613
Hmm must be very good then. I have heard of some people having issues such as the gain switch not lining up with each gain level marking or the volume knob not feeling as solid when adjusting the volume. The latter they are referring to the volume "pot" whatever that means.

That seems to be mainly for the very first drop. I’ve got 2 of them from the recent drops and my knob is ram rod straight on both units. No issues with pot either. No low volume channel imbalance at all that i can tell. The only thing i noticed that was a little strange was a static feedback hum feom my planar headphone lcd2c and the music coming through headphones at extreme low volume level even with pot turned all the way down. No hum with hd6xx in same condition and the music bleed is a non issue imo as it does not affect sq, or if it does its doung something good to it :)

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #917 of 2,613
That seems to be mainly for the very first drop. I’ve got 2 of them from the recent drops and my knob is ram rod straight on both units. No issues with pot either. No low volume channel imbalance at all that i can tell. The only thing i noticed that was a little strange was a static feedback hum feom my planar headphone lcd2c and the music coming through headphones at extreme low volume level even with pot turned all the way down. No hum with hd6xx in same condition and the music bleed is a non issue imo as it does not affect sq, or if it does its doung something good to it :)

Hmm okay. Guess it's good I didn't join the first drop. But when "volume pot" is mentioned what is that referring to?

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #919 of 2,613
volume pot is just another name for volume knob. pot is short for potentiometer.
Pot is a pretty old school volume control but still widespread in use.

Oh okay. Thank you. Guess I will wait for the THX 789. Still waiting on my Periapt XLR cable for my HD6XX.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #920 of 2,613
even my newer serial unit gain selector is still not straight i wonder if the knob can be taken off the put back on straight has anyone tried? i ended up trading the early serial unit to a friend anyway but id still like to correct the newer unit if possible.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #921 of 2,613
even my newer serial unit gain selector is still not straight i wonder if the knob can be taken off the put back on straight has anyone tried? i ended up trading the early serial unit to a friend anyway but id still like to correct the newer unit if possible.

That's what I'm worried about when buying this amp. If I'm going to be paying ~$500 Canadian for it then it better be in perfect condition and solidly built.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #922 of 2,613
Oh okay. Thank you. Guess I will wait for the THX 789. Still waiting on my Periapt XLR cable for my HD6XX.

And miss that Cavalli Sound? Another cheaper alternative that is SE only is the Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Spark Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli, many times less than $100 US when on sale.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #923 of 2,613
Just take it off, bend lightly and put the knob back on. My selector came straight though.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #924 of 2,613
So I noticed that the Massdrop LCX amp is active and is cheaper than the THX 789 at $299 vs $349. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-alex-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x-amp

I also noticed this same amp is being sold used here. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649488364-massdrop-cavalli-liquid-carbon-x-lcx-amplifier/

Is it better to wait for the THX 789 to drop again or grab the LCX amp? Either one would be paired with my Grace SDAC and used with balanced out once my Periapt XLR cable comes in.

I "requested" the balanced SDAC but that was a while back. So far it has not dropped again.

I was looking at the LCX+SDAC or the standalone LCX (because I already have the SDAC). Both those amps are active drops right now. I'm sure I could be happy with any one of the Massdrop amp options. Just don't know which one to pick between the LCX+SDAC, LCX, or THX 789. They all seem to have overall great reviews and ratings. I'm using the Sennheiser HD6XX and 58X headphones currently.

I have both these amps and headphones, what signature do you prefer? what music do you listen to? Can you give me 2-3 songs? Does the DAC matter to you?

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #925 of 2,613
I have both these amps and headphones, what signature do you prefer? what music do you listen to? Can you give me 2-3 songs? Does the DAC matter to you?

Not sure what “signature” I prefer but I don’t usually listen to bass heavy music. I mainly listen to orchestral/classical, movie scores, classic rock, jazz, blues, some pop. I’m not familiar enough with DAC variations to say if it matters or not.

Jan 8, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #927 of 2,613
That is unfortunate. I'd take the cover off and see if there is a screw assembly behind the panel holding it on. *edit* doesn't look like it. May be glued on ;(

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #928 of 2,613
it sucks because its flawless minus the gain knob and i would love to center it because im ocd like that. not sure i want to pull any harder though i gave it a pretty good (gentle enough) pull and it wasnt budging

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #929 of 2,613
No way of pressuring it? You may take the casing off completely so that you can manipulate it further. Just don't bend using the casing - only from the knob. Looks snug though.. who knows, you might get lucky.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #930 of 2,613
anyone have a model number of what switch it uses for the gain? im curious to know if there is a flat spot on there or if its just teeth all the way around. if it has a flat spot on the shaft it will not be able to be relocated anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back