Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Dec 23, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #736 of 2,613
Yeah I guess that is true. I just don't have the kind of money to buy these things and test them out. If I was a reviewer like Zeos or whatnot then perhaps these companies would send me stuff to test and review. Also I don't know how to read audio frequency graphs.
You can often sell used gear for a similar price as you buy it for, that might be an affordable approach.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #737 of 2,613
You can often sell used gear for a similar price as you buy it for, that might be an affordable approach.

In my experience I've not been able to sell used gear for close to what I paid for it. Perhaps people where I live are just cheap. It is a government town after all.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #738 of 2,613
Yeah I guess that is true. I just don't have the kind of money to buy these things and test them out. If I was a reviewer like Zeos or whatnot then perhaps these companies would send me stuff to test and review. Also I don't know how to read audio frequency graphs.

What is your current setup? What headphones, dac, and amp?

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #739 of 2,613
What is your current setup? What headphones, dac, and amp?

I have music coming from iTunes (mostly in 320Kbps AAC with VBR) on my Macbook Pro going to the Grace SDAC via USB, then into the Aune X7S which is driving either my Sennheiser HD6XX or 58X headphones. I'm still in the market for a good close back headphone.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #741 of 2,613
I have music coming from iTunes (mostly in 320Kbps AAC with VBR) on my Macbook Pro going to the Grace SDAC via USB, then into the Aune X7S which is driving either my Sennheiser HD6XX or 58X headphones. I'm still in the market for a good close back headphone.
That's a nice setup. What sound profile do you find most pleasing? Do you like more warmth and bass? Do you prefer mids, or maybe want more pronounced treble? I've never heard the sdac or x7s personally, but they are highly rated from others and the hd6xx is my second favorite headphone I own and also arguably the best price/performance headphone on the market period. From my limited knowledge I would guess the sound your system puts out is detailed and warm with nice bass and treble that is slightly tamed but still easily perceivable. Is that a close guess?

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #742 of 2,613
That's a nice setup. What sound profile do you find most pleasing? Do you like more warmth and bass? Do you prefer mids, or maybe want more pronounced treble? I've never heard the sdac or x7s personally, but they are highly rated from others and the hd6xx is my second favorite headphone I own and also arguably the best price/performance headphone on the market period. From my limited knowledge I would guess the sound your system puts out is detailed and warm with nice bass and treble that is slightly tamed but still easily perceivable. Is that a close guess?

Well I don't like bass heavy music like rap or EDM. As my music takes have changed over the years I've gone more towards more instrumental stuff like classical and movie scores. I also like classic rock/pop, jazz, blues as well. I do like lots of detail. I remember going from some Sony MDR-10bt bluetooth headphones to the Sennheiser 598SR and that was a big difference for me. The Sony's sounded so muddy and dark compared to the 598s. Then I sold those when I got the HD6XX. I had the AudioEngine D1 amp and then switched to the Micca Origen+ DAC/amp which I thought was great in sound and design layout. Now here I am with the SDAC and X7S.

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #743 of 2,613
I wonder if i can replace the us type plug cable thats provided with eu plug cable like this and connect it to the black powerbrick? The provided cable is not something special audiofile for this amp just basic right?

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-nrg-y2-mains-power-cable

Maybe this amp wont bennefit much from power cleaning with my niagara 1000 as this amp has so low distortion values?

Maybe not worth getting more expensive nrg y2 cable for that.

Otherwise i can just get this adapter

http://q2-power.com/portfolio-posts/usa-to-europe/

Also it seems like 789 is cleaning the power itself.
"Each channel of the THX AAA 789 amp is equipped with a low-bias class-AB main amplifier and an auxiliary error-correction amplifier, the former providing the majority of the power and the latter providing a realtime low-power error-correction signal. These work together to null all distortion components. Additionally, the product’s low quiescent current minimizes wasted power."

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #744 of 2,613
Well I don't like bass heavy music like rap or EDM. As my music takes have changed over the years I've gone more towards more instrumental stuff like classical and movie scores. I also like classic rock/pop, jazz, blues as well. I do like lots of detail. I remember going from some Sony MDR-10bt bluetooth headphones to the Sennheiser 598SR and that was a big difference for me. The Sony's sounded so muddy and dark compared to the 598s. Then I sold those when I got the HD6XX. I had the AudioEngine D1 amp and then switched to the Micca Origen+ DAC/amp which I thought was great in sound and design layout. Now here I am with the SDAC and X7S.

Maybe headphones wold be a better upgrade option? Have you ever thought of trying massdrop's focal offerings? They might give you what you are after especially for instrumental music.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #745 of 2,613
Maybe headphones wold be a better upgrade option? Have you ever thought of trying massdrop's focal offerings? They might give you what you are after especially for instrumental music.

The Focal headphones seem very expensive. Zeos is reviewing them now doing one each day. I've looked at the Fostex offerings on Massdrop and may get the Mahogany one.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #746 of 2,613
The Focal headphones seem very expensive. Zeos is reviewing them now doing one each day. I've looked at the Fostex offerings on Massdrop and may get the Mahogany one.

The massdrop hifiman He4xx is also a possible choice if you like very clean and clear sound. They are definitely more of a budget option and should shine for instrumental music. I've got the he-400i that the 4xx is basically a clone of and they are pretty nice. I eq mine to get my preferred sound, but even without the eq they perform nicely, but have a treble peak around 8k that I'm sensitive too. Many people view the 4xx as a planar replacement for the hd650. The hd4xx is $160 or so

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #747 of 2,613
The massdrop hifiman He4xx is also a possible choice if you like very clean and clear sound. They are definitely more of a budget option and should shine for instrumental music. I've got the he-400i that the 4xx is basically a clone of and they are pretty nice. I eq mine to get my preferred sound, but even without the eq they perform nicely, but have a treble peak around 8k that I'm sensitive too. Many people view the 4xx as a planar replacement for the hd650. The hd4xx is $160 or so

I had the 4XX but didn't really like them. But mainly because they didn't fit on my head. By that I mean that even at the smallest headband adjustment they were still a bit too big. The ear cups would be too low on my ears. However the Sennheisers I have to extend the headband a couple notches on each side to fit comfortably. I've had this issue before with headphones like the M50X or the Sony MDR-1A. Those for me had the same problem as the 4XX.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #748 of 2,613
with focal elear/elax you can have 4 or 5 sound signatures just by changing ear pads. of course that turns them into 1000 dollar headphones if you buy all the dekoni pads

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #749 of 2,613
Are you using a balanced or single-eneded output from your amp? If the latter, the best thing you can do now is to connect your HD6XX via balanced because:
Output power on RCA max: 250 mW at 300 Ohm.
Output power on XLR max: 1000 mW at 300 Ohm.
Output power on RCA max: 1000 mW at 32 Ohm.
Output power on XLR max: 1700 mW at 32 Ohm.

The above is for Aune X7S. The HD6XX need power. You will be surprised how differently they will sound with more power. Either buy a new cable or make one if you can solder.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #750 of 2,613
Are you using a balanced or single-eneded output from your amp? If the latter, the best thing you can do now is to connect your HD6XX via balanced because:
Output power on RCA max: 250 mW at 300 Ohm.
Output power on XLR max: 1000 mW at 300 Ohm.
Output power on RCA max: 1000 mW at 32 Ohm.
Output power on XLR max: 1700 mW at 32 Ohm.

The above is for Aune X7S. The HD6XX need power. You will be surprised how differently they will sound with more power. Either buy a new cable or make one if you can solder.

I do plan to get a balanced cable hopefully in the new year. Do you think the 58X would also benefit from being balanced? I switched my X7S to medium gain and the sound is actually a bit better. I only have to go to 9 o'clock on the volume dial with the 6XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back