Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789 Linear Amplifier - Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #2,371 of 2,613
Just sort of a PSA. I've found that brass footers and weights noticeably bring out some fullness and presence from this amp. I did some playing around and found that placement matters, and bigger weights are better. It's a worthwhile experiment IMO, but the footers and weights cost more than the amp, lol. Mapleshade does have a 30 day money back if you want to try it. This really is a pretty great amp for the cost. The definition and layering are commendable.

PXL_20210310_040228358.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #2,372 of 2,613
Mar 13, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,373 of 2,613
Hello , I have finally managed to listen and review this much discussed amplifier.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/drop-thx-aaa™-789-linear-amplifier.25038/review/25481/

Short version - I like it a lot.
Far from sounding boring and clinical.
A couple of shortcomings but at the end a great amplifier.
Nice write up. I agree that this amp deserves to be part of anyone's arsenal as a very 'truthful' amp. I've been using it as my daily driver for a few months now and have been enjoying it way more than I thought I ever would. But its price makes it an easy purchase to own just as a comparison tool.

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,375 of 2,613
Just sort of a PSA. I've found that brass footers and weights noticeably bring out some fullness and presence from this amp. I did some playing around and found that placement matters, and bigger weights are better. It's a worthwhile experiment IMO, but the footers and weights cost more than the amp, lol. Mapleshade does have a 30 day money back if you want to try it. This really is a pretty great amp for the cost. The definition and layering are commendable.

PXL_20210310_040228358.PORTRAIT.jpg

*Must resist the urge to call BS* Yeah, I'm not buying that those blocks make any difference whatsoever. Save your money people.

The Amp is excellent though, I love mine :)

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #2,376 of 2,613
*Must resist the urge to call BS* Yeah, I'm not buying that those blocks make any difference whatsoever. Save your money people.

The Amp is excellent though, I love mine :)
Says the person who hasn't tried it. Ok. Must be nice to have your psychic powers.

Makes zero difference to me if anyone tries anything, just thought I'd share my findings. And no, I have no relation to Mapleshade.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,377 of 2,613
Says the person who hasn't tried it. Ok. Must be nice to have your psychic powers.

Makes zero difference to me if anyone tries anything, just thought I'd share my findings. And no, I have no relation to Mapleshade.

I don't need to jump off a cliff to know it's a bad idea...

It's BS. I know it is. You know it is. And I have tried products of a similar nature in the past. That's why I know they do nothing. Except relieve you of money.

Feel free to send them to Amir at ASR though and he'll test them and put the issue beyond doubt.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,378 of 2,613
I don't need to jump off a cliff to know it's a bad idea...

It's BS. I know it is. You know it is. And I have tried products of a similar nature in the past. That's why I know they do nothing. Except relieve you of money.

Feel free to send them to Amir at ASR though and he'll test them and put the issue beyond doubt.
I hear you on tweaks. I've been down the road enough. Some work, most don't. I had some footers lying around and decided to just try them on this thing. I don't know, maybe because it's so light, but for whatever reason, I heard a positive change. Thought I'd share. That's it. But I definitely don't care enough to argue about it.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,383 of 2,613
I hear you on tweaks. I've been down the road enough. Some work, most don't. I had some footers lying around and decided to just try them on this thing. I don't know, maybe because it's so light, but for whatever reason, I heard a positive change. Thought I'd share. That's it. But I definitely don't care enough to argue about it.
What is your take on how this might physically impact a solid-state amplifier? I'm no expert but for the life of me can't think of a way this would make any kind of difference short of physically moving it away from some sort of interference. I own a 789 and it does pick up a slight hum when too close to my wireless phone charger while my Emotiva A-100 does not, or at least does not to an audible degree.

Mar 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #2,384 of 2,613
Many audio-reviewing youtubers put those footers on their dac. They saids those footers really make the sound better. I think there's something to do with microphonics or oscillation. I put heavy things on my dac as well. It is easy to do and reassures me that my system is in optimal mode:)

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,385 of 2,613
What is your take on how this might physically impact a solid-state amplifier? I'm no expert but for the life of me can't think of a way this would make any kind of difference short of physically moving it away from some sort of interference. I own a 789 and it does pick up a slight hum when too close to my wireless phone charger while my Emotiva A-100 does not, or at least does not to an audible degree.
In general, footers are designed to drain or mitigate excess energy and vibration away from the component to increase resolution, lower distortion and provide an audibly cleaner and clearer result. IME, different materials do different things, and in practice results can vary widely -- better, worse or no difference at all. I've never been a fan of brass for most components because they seemed to exacerbate high frequency energy and tend toward being brighter and more metallic sounding (guess that makes sense considering they're brass). For whatever reason, this amp seems to respond well to these footers in my system. I surmised it might be because it's such a light amplifier, but I have no idea. It's always a crapshoot with tweaks like this. I don't think they would do anything toward blocking any EMI/RF interference, that's not their purpose. But I hear an audible improvement in the way I described above.

Weights have long been used on components to sort of do the same things as the footers -- decrease vibration. I've tried this a couple times on various components in the past and I heard no difference. However, on this particular amp, I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back