Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #4,516 of 4,845
Getting this in the mail soon, anyone know any good cases for this where I can also just leave the cables attached or do no cases like that exist and I have to always detach the cable? Another dumb question: is it bad to like detach the cable multiple times a day?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #4,517 of 4,845
What is your source and amp? And what your music app? Apple music or something else?

Sorry for my late answer. I use Tidal Hifi, the Cambridge Dacmagic 100 and the Smsl SH-9. Is this good enough? I actually compare it to the AKG K612 Pro and i have to say that it is also a very good headphone. At first i thought the sound of the Jubilee which is a bit muffled bad but now I think it is a very relaxed headphone. The construction destroys the 612. Design, a bit contact pressure, ear form, fit and so on is much better, it is a neutral headphone with a bit fun and bass. The 612 is extremely neutral and flat. I think for movies and rock / metal the HD58X could the better choice but sometimes the sound from the AKG is also good to have because it presents the music how it should be and is more realistic. It is difficult to give one of them away. I should keep both of them. So build: a very big 1:0 for the Jubilee, sound 1:1.

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #4,518 of 4,845
Sorry for my late answer. I use Tidal Hifi, the Cambridge Dacmagic 100 and the Smsl SH-9. Is this good enough? I actually compare it to the AKG K612 Pro and i have to say that it is also a very good headphone. At first i thought the sound of the Jubilee which is a bit muffled bad but now I think it is a very relaxed headphone. The construction destroys the 612. Design, a bit contact pressure, ear form, fit and so on is much better, it is a neutral headphone with a bit fun and bass. The 612 is extremely neutral and flat. I think for movies and rock / metal the HD58X could the better choice but sometimes the sound from the AKG is also good to have because it presents the music how it should be and is more realistic. It is difficult to give one of them away. I should keep both of them. So build: a very big 1:0 for the Jubilee, sound 1:1.
Tidal hifi is amazing and your combo seems adequate enough so it must be a matter of synergy and taste. I do not think you need a better amp or DAC try to use a silver plated cable if you can but with a reasonable price around 22£ I would say is enough and balanced if you can.

I do not like my 58x with my es100 probably because they do not have a good synergy together and with my iphone except using apple music. This is because apple music plays louder than tidal so you don't need so much power to play them adequately. A silver coated balanced cable of 22£ made sound even better and with my xcan the combination is a bliss.

They sound also very good with my btr5 but still need the extra loudness that apple music offers. Also unbalanced with xcan is fine but the balanced mode is on another level so yes I believe they have some scaling potential even maybe not as much as the rest of the 6 series.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #4,519 of 4,845
Getting this in the mail soon, anyone know any good cases for this where I can also just leave the cables attached or do no cases like that exist and I have to always detach the cable? Another dumb question: is it bad to like detach the cable multiple times a day?

Thanks in advance!
I got a case off Amazon, but it's not listed by that seller now. I can leave the cables attached, but I usually just keep them on a headphone stand when I'm at home. I think it's a case made for Sony headphones, but it's pretty generic and was about $25.

I would not attach and detach the cable multiple times a day (or even regularly) - you'll wear out the jacks. They're not as delicate as IEM ones, but still need some care.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #4,520 of 4,845
Tidal hifi is amazing and your combo seems adequate enough so it must be a matter of synergy and taste. I do not think you need a better amp or DAC try to use a silver plated cable if you can but with a reasonable price around 22£ I would say is enough and balanced if you can.

I do not like my 58x with my es100 probably because they do not have a good synergy together and with my iphone except using apple music. This is because apple music plays louder than tidal so you don't need so much power to play them adequately. A silver coated balanced cable of 22£ made sound even better and with my xcan the combination is a bliss.

They sound also very good with my btr5 but still need the extra loudness that apple music offers. Also unbalanced with xcan is fine but the balanced mode is on another level so yes I believe they have some scaling potential even maybe not as much as the rest of the 6 series.
I don't find the Es100 to drive them particularly well, either. My 5k does, and so does my XDuoo XP-2. I'm not sure why the difference, but most everything else works well, from my HiBy R5 all the way up to more powerful gear. They really sound good balanced, which is how I have them cabled.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #4,521 of 4,845
I got a case off Amazon, but it's not listed by that seller now. I can leave the cables attached, but I usually just keep them on a headphone stand when I'm at home. I think it's a case made for Sony headphones, but it's pretty generic and was about $25.

I would not attach and detach the cable multiple times a day (or even regularly) - you'll wear out the jacks. They're not as delicate as IEM ones, but still need some care.
Oh, good to know ty! Should be finally get my 58x on Tuesday if no accidents so can't wait! Another quick question: Do you think this stand hanger thing would work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZRJ7T36/ ?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #4,522 of 4,845
Oh, good to know ty! Should be finally get my 58x on Tuesday if no accidents so can't wait! Another quick question: Do you think this stand hanger thing would work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZRJ7T36/ ?

Thanks in advance!
It looks like it will. I have a similar one and it works great.

I found the case I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENO322C/
It fits the headphones with the cable, and my portable DAC/amp with room to spare. It works with some of my bigger headphones, too.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #4,523 of 4,845
It looks like it will. I have a similar one and it works great.

I found the case I have:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENO322C/
It fits the headphones with the cable, and my portable DAC/amp with room to spare. It works with some of my bigger headphones, too.
Thanks for finding me the link. Ended up getting the case and headphones on the same day yesterday so the case came in handy already!
Ended up listening to it all night :joy:, it was fun hearing all the stuff I didn't really hear before and even the stuff I heard sounded different.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few dumb questions if anyone can answer:
1) I have a tempotec sonata hd pro that i use as an amp/dac to pc, I have a couple of albums that go up to 24/96 (I also watch some blu-ray concerts/movies but I have no idea what those are at) but I saw that the DAC can go up to 32/384. What should I set it at?
2) I think I remember reading that my PC volume should be maxed and I should control volume from DAC/amp? The problem is the volume steps on that moves the volume way too much so at a certain point it's hard to fine tune since it jumps to being too loud. Is it ok if say I lower it to like 90% on PC or something so that I can gain 1 more volume step that's listenable, would it negatively affect the audio?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 24, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #4,524 of 4,845
Thanks for finding me the link. Ended up getting the case and headphones on the same day yesterday so the case came in handy already!
Ended up listening to it all night :joy:, it was fun hearing all the stuff I didn't really hear before and even the stuff I heard sounded different.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I have a tempotec sonata hd pro that i use as an amp/dac to pc, I have a couple of albums that go up to 24/96 (I also watch some blu-ray concerts/movies but I have no idea what those are at) but I saw that the DAC can go up to 32/384. What should I set it at?
2) I think I remember reading that my PC volume should be maxed and I should control volume from DAC/amp? The problem is the volume steps on that moves the volume way too much so at a certain point it's hard to fine tune since it jumps to being too loud. Is it ok if say I lower it to like 90% on PC or something so that I can gain 1 more volume step that's listenable, would it negatively affect the audio?

Thanks in advance!
Iwould just let Windows default to whatever the sampling and bit rate of the media is.

When you have an analog volume control for a headphone amp, then yes best to use it with windows at 100%. But I suspect the Sonata HD Pro volume control is just attenuating the digital signal before the DAC processes it. In which case, you could use either Windows volume or it and it would be the same.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #4,525 of 4,845

Thanks in advance!
1) the purist theory is to set the sampling rate according to the material provided otherwise it would be upsampled from the DAC and that is not great. But some people suggest that upsampling in some cases make the sound better/smoother. In practice the difference is small. In the past I used the dragonfly v1.2 always upsampled at 96/24 (magenta) no matter the rate and sounded even better than no upsample (green) So my personal opinion is not big deal whatever is convenient to you

2) again the theory is to max the volume in the player from the pc and control with the amp but if that is no optimal in your case why to suffer ? You will not Sacrifice great amount of quality if any. Fine tuning is more important.

So enjoy your amazing new headphones and do not worry for these small details.

Mar 31, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #4,527 of 4,845
Did anyone compare it with the 560s? Could the 560s be the better 58x without this veil and with more brightness?

They are both excellent headphones. Sort of depends on what sound signature you're looking for as to which is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back