Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 16, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #4,085 of 4,845
I drunkenly put a bid on ebay for a pair in the UK, and won! So I’ll be a newcomer to the club. I’m coming from a set of DT990s which I’m not getting on with, they don’t have the bass power I was led to believe and overall sound bright, lacking in body and punch, and quite unforgiving. I’m hoping to get better bass, and a warmer, more forgiving sound with the 58x.

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #4,086 of 4,845
I just received my 58x today and while I recognize its pleasant and warm sound I am really curious what a larger soundstage feels like. Is there anyone here that has any recommendations past a 58x? From what I have read the Beyerdynamics are the HD series opposite compliments.

Sep 17, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #4,087 of 4,845
I just received my 58x today and while I recognize its pleasant and warm sound I am really curious what a larger soundstage feels like. Is there anyone here that has any recommendations past a 58x? From what I have read the Beyerdynamics are the HD series opposite compliments.

My DT990s have a wider soundstage, but even wider would be my AKG K612s. If you want wide/larger, look at AKG.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #4,088 of 4,845
Well the HD800 is the soundstage King, the 58x driven correctly is an amazing value for the price.

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #4,089 of 4,845
Well the HD800 is the soundstage King, the 58x driven correctly is an amazing value for the price.

Agreed! I bought it used and so the price was even better. I used those savings to buy an XLR cable and it sounds great out of my Liquid Carbon X.

Shane D

Sep 17, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #4,090 of 4,845
I'm half excited, half nervous for these. Some things I read say they have great bass and sound warm and fun. Others that they're thin and cold. Not sure what to believe really especially since my 990s were meant to be some kind of bass monster but they're anything but... I will say now that if they seem to have less than those they'll be going straight back up for sale! We will see in a few days I guess....

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #4,091 of 4,845
I'm half excited, half nervous for these. Some things I read say they have great bass and sound warm and fun. Others that they're thin and cold. Not sure what to believe really especially since my 990s were meant to be some kind of bass monster but they're anything but... I will say now that if they seem to have less than those they'll be going straight back up for sale! We will see in a few days I guess....

Which headphones do you use that have enough bass for you? I ask because I eq everything and always need to add a good amount of bass. My 58Xs don't have more bass than my DT990 PRO 250 ohms. They have a bit less with a lot more fullness in the midrange. The 990s sound hollow and deeper by comparison.

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #4,092 of 4,845
I am entirely with you on this aspect of trying to hear a headphone before buying. I think after receiving my 58x I have had to temper my expectations. I had been using a pair of tma-1s before receiving my 58x and had a hard time discerning between the two at first. I can definitely recognize the differences but there was no wow factor. I just plan to continue using the 58x for a bit longer before ultimately deciding whether they were what I had wanted them to be.

Sep 17, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #4,093 of 4,845
Which headphones do you use that have enough bass for you? I ask because I eq everything and always need to add a good amount of bass. My 58Xs don't have more bass than my DT990 PRO 250 ohms. They have a bit less with a lot more fullness in the midrange. The 990s sound hollow and deeper by comparison.

My other headphones are B&W P7 Wireless. I guess probably a combination of closed backs and tuning, but they kick out very good bass, good slam, pretty good speed and goes pretty deep.

These have been on my radar for a while, a few impressions I remember reading some time back was that the bass was one of their strong points, so I was hoping I could get at least some of that with these. My DT990 are the silver Premium 250 ohm model, and I’ve tried numerous amps and sources, but I just can’t listen to them without increasing the bass (usually by around 6db). Even after that, they’re lacking something, I find them lacking musicality, I don’t really enjoy them greatly and to add insult to injury they are damn good at highlighting poor SQ in tracks, probably as they’re quite trebley.

If these don’t work for me I’ll probably give up on open backed cans and just go straight to a closed can like a Fostex (which I was also considering but these are cheaper!).

I am entirely with you on this aspect of trying to hear a headphone before buying. I think after receiving my 58x I have had to temper my expectations. I had been using a pair of tma-1s before receiving my 58x and had a hard time discerning between the two at first. I can definitely recognize the differences but there was no wow factor. I just plan to continue using the 58x for a bit longer before ultimately deciding whether they were what I had wanted them to be.

Thanks for the reply. I am kind of thinking it’s going to be 50/50. If it is, that will teach me for buying after a day on the beer! :D

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #4,094 of 4,845

May I suggest that you take some time with your HD58X before you conclude. You are used to hear sound from your existing 990s headphones and your first impressions may fool your final judgment.
At first when I heard the HD58X, I was very critical of its midrange, coming from the HD600 and HD650, check out my reviews on this site or my comments on Massdrop.com (now Drop.com). But a few weeks after and a many hours on listening after they grew on me and now it is one if my preferred headphones (and I own a few, check my signature). Its bass extension is incredible for an open headphone, yet it is quite neutral, balanced and not a bass head headphone. I got accustomed to its midrange, not as forward as the HD600/650/6XX, but very clear because if its relative peak at 1khz or should I say better its relative dip at 3khz-4khz. I still prefer the HD600 and HD650/6XX for vocal centric music and some rock, jazz and pop, but definitely prefer the HD58X for dance, electronic and other bass centric music. In the end they are all more similar than different, their differences are significant but their sound signatures are in the same family, the Sennheiser audiophile open backed signature, the Axel Grell influence.
My advice is take the time to listen to them for a few weeks before you conclude.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #4,095 of 4,845
I find the HD 58X so close to the HD 650/6XX I can’t tell which pair I’m wearing. I feed my headphones a good amount of power which I know helps to get every last bit of performance out of them. Im on an iem kick lately since Summer time and pads touching my face doesn’t appeal to me. I’m worried I’ve spoiled myself since I haven’t touched a full size headphone in 5 months. There’s a thing that even budget iems can do that full size cans can’t compete with.

Sometimes at night I can hear all my headphones crying due to the lack of attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back