Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #4,006 of 4,845
There's absolutely no evidence 58x is using HD6-family of drivers, yet people have no problem claiming it does. I was sceptical about DMS and Metal reviews before I got a chance to hear 599 and 58x myself, but after testing them back to back now I know what they were talking about. I really don't care what's the part number of 58x driver, it propably is some sort of HD5 variation prepared exclusively for massdrop with bumped up impedence. I've heared HD600 multiple times, owned 650, briefly tested 660s and I honestly say 58x doesn't come close to any of them. The reason why I'm thinking it's some sort of HD5 driver is because I own 599 and after switching to 58x I wasn't getting a feeling like I was hearing anything HD6-series, but instead a different HD5 flavour. Mainly resolution and grain just wasn't there, it was all at the level of HD5. And it's not just Metal and DMS, you can read similar impressions on massdrop review page or even this thread. So it's words agains words two opposite clans fightin over something nobody have definite proof, only subjective hearing.

I don't see a reason why couldn't it be? Even monk's earbud could. Tunning and driver qualities are two diiferent stories. All headphones can be tuned to sound very similar, but one with be better to the other depending on driver capabilities and so is the case with 58x vs HD6

There's only one truth 58x cannot be both HD5 and HD6 levels of driver potential. It can only be one way, what we have now are contradicting opinions. The debate will hopefully come to an end at some point.

That's very interesting becasue from what I know most people don't hear a difference with that foam mod vs stock. I was intending to do it myself, but after reading like 20th massdrop review about it doesnt make any difference I let that idea go.

Again 589 are out of question, both 599 and 58x are much better options.

No they did not make such claims based on looks. They did it based on sound compariosn and so am I. Did you even watch their reviews?

Tyll compared 660S to other HD6-series headphones, not the 58x which at that time didn't even exist. Not to mention there are multiple reports about driver problems affecting some 660S batches. People are reporting they've sold their 660S then repurchased to find out the sound is different. Hopefully Sennheiser will resolve quality control issues with the updated just released 660S design and packaging refresh.

As to what you have said about amping that's the reason I got rid of my 650 and never bought 600 (but tested them and preffered 650). I will never get 650 again unless I invest in better amp. People have no idea how HD6 sound like if they listen to computer, smartphone or basic cheap amps. Maybe that's the reason many put 58x in the same league with 650 and 600.
You're right. It is words vs words, based on subjective listening. Yet a few posts back, you stated that it was confirmed the 58X uses HD5 series drivers. So which one is it?

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #4,007 of 4,845
You're spreading fake news. NOBODY from Sennheiser has confirmed any of the speculation of said driver! I even contacted Sennheiser myself , and they said it was it's own driver. Not related to anything previously made. With that said. All other statements made regarding the driver are void!
Now. Regarding your statement that the 58x isn't capable and doesn't come close to the cans mentioned. You're entitled to your opinion.
Although I disagree with your opinion, and believe the complete opposite. I'm entitled, as well as everyone else who believes the 58x to be the better can than the 600/650....etc.
Honestly, what's reputable these days? I believe that my ears and preferences are the most reputable for me. Not someone else's opinion. I think for myself! Hard for some but not me. Take care bro!
58x have casing of HD6-series, but is not capable and doesn't come close to 600, 650 or 660S in terms of grain ,scalability, resolution, detail retrieval. Sennheiser took the driver from HD5 and made it look like a HD6 headphone, which is already confirmed by many reputable audiophile reviewers such as DMS, Metal etc. The driver is tunned to sound similar to HD6, but it has all of the shortcomings of HD5. That is also my observation after comparing 599 with 58x. It's not the real HD6-variant. Also 58X has nothing in common with 580 jubilee driver, which was a real HD6-capable driver.

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #4,009 of 4,845
For all I know, the 58x could indeed be using the driver of the 599, just slightly tuned, maybe having a few differences such as impedance. Or it could be a 660s driver. Or a new driver altogether. And any of these would not make me care the slightest. What I do know is that I spent 150-ish € for a kick ass pair of cans that are among the best I've heard. Sure, it's no Utopia or LCD-X, but it's closer than some "audiophiles" are comfortable with. Same goes for the Sennheiser 600 series cans. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If a 6xx you paid 200$ for needs a 500$ amp to play "properly", then it's no longer a 200$ can, it's a 700$ one. If you like it hey, awesome, and I'd love to get a 600 or 650/6xx at some point, but I'm not under any delusions that it will make anything else obsolete. It may be better, sure, but it's not a night and day difference.

What I do have now is a 150$ pair of cans that I can enjoy at 80% of their potential out of my phone and close to 100% out of my Q5s. Beat that using any can you want. I'm waiting.

Sep 1, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #4,010 of 4,845
For all I know, the 58x could indeed be using the driver of the 599, just slightly tuned, maybe having a few differences such as impedance. Or it could be a 660s driver. Or a new driver altogether. And any of these would not make me care the slightest. What I do know is that I spent 150-ish € for a kick ass pair of cans that are among the best I've heard. Sure, it's no Utopia or LCD-X, but it's closer than some "audiophiles" are comfortable with. Same goes for the Sennheiser 600 series cans. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If a 6xx you paid 200$ for needs a 500$ amp to play "properly", then it's no longer a 200$ can, it's a 700$ one. If you like it hey, awesome, and I'd love to get a 600 or 650/6xx at some point, but I'm not under any delusions that it will make anything else obsolete. It may be better, sure, but it's not a night and day difference.

What I do have now is a 150$ pair of cans that I can enjoy at 80% of their potential out of my phone and close to 100% out of my Q5s. Beat that using any can you want. I'm waiting.

yep i think my 58X sound better than 6XX and Sundara.

Sep 1, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #4,011 of 4,845
I prefer my modded HD58X to the HD6XX/650, my Argons (Mk3 and T60RP), and my modded TH-X00 Purplehearts... only headphones I like better are Porta Pros with Yaxi Pads and my STAX L300 Limiteds. My HD58X and Porta Pros are the ones I listen to the most out of any headphones.

Differences between stock HD58X and HD6XX are minor and you really need both powered and level matched simultaneously from a rig allowing you to use same source to compare against each other to tell. The biggest difference is the HD58X is cooler and brighter/clearer sounding while the HD6XX is a little warmer and darker sounding. The HD58X I absolutely love and prefer though is my zebrawood closed-back converted with the Yaxi Alcantara pads - requires some EQ, but the insane subbass (TH-X00 PH level), fullness of sound in a warm & dark signature, and enhanced 3D presentation and sense of space to the sound without much change in imaging ability is sooo worth it... as is the better comfort.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #4,012 of 4,845
That's very interesting becasue from what I know most people don't hear a difference with that foam mod vs stock. I was intending to do it myself, but after reading like 20th massdrop review about it doesnt make any difference I let that idea go.

The mod he mentions is not removing the back cover, it's adding dampening material to the bass port like they do with the HD6 headphones using the spider cage and this indeed changes the sound, a lot, it's very measureble by various db and you can hear it. I did it myself.

No they did not make such claims based on looks. They did it based on sound compariosn and so am I. Did you even watch their reviews?

Tyll compared 660S to other HD6-series headphones, not the 58x which at that time didn't even exist. Not to mention there are multiple reports about driver problems affecting some 660S batches. People are reporting they've sold their 660S then repurchased to find out the sound is different. Hopefully Sennheiser will resolve quality control issues with the updated just released 660S design and packaging refresh.

As to what you have said about amping that's the reason I got rid of my 650 and never bought 600 (but tested them and preffered 650). I will never get 650 again unless I invest in better amp. People have no idea how HD6 sound like if they listen to computer, smartphone or basic cheap amps. Maybe that's the reason many put 58x in the same league with 650 and 600.

Should be more clear here, when I said OPINION and looks I mean their opinion formed by hearing the headphone and the driver's appearence, they did remarks about how the 58X driver was too similar to the HD5 (which is bull because the HD580 driver looks the same and if you remove the so called spider cage HD6 looks similar as well).

About Tyll I know that, what you said wasn't my point, I just wanted to say that a lot of people love the HD660S but others find it inferior and more grainy and since the HD58X kinda follows the 660 it may explain why some don't like it's sound.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #4,013 of 4,845
The mod he mentions is not removing the back cover, it's adding dampening material to the bass port like they do with the HD6 headphones using the spider cage and this indeed changes the sound, a lot, it's very measureble by various db and you can hear it. I did it myself.

Should be more clear here, when I said OPINION and looks I mean their opinion formed by hearing the headphone and the driver's appearence, they did remarks about how the 58X driver was too similar to the HD5 (which is bull**** because the HD580 driver looks the same and if you remove the so called spider cage HD6 looks similar as well).

About Tyll I know that, what you said wasn't my point, I just wanted to say that a lot of people love the HD660S but others find it inferior and more grainy and since the HD58X kinda follows the 660 it may explain why some don't like it's sound.

can you send me a link on how to do the main 58X mod that most people use? i love default sound but wouldn't mind trying something fresh if its not too hard

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #4,014 of 4,845
@VRacer-111

I remember when you were in love with the Argons and they were on top, what happened? Also quick question, did the yaxi pads help control the Porta Pro bass? I like them but are way too bassy and like details, after some tweaks they are very good tho.

EDIT:
@caenlenfromOCN

Here
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/

You need to download the full version of the review, it's a PDF in the link above. The guy also made a extensive review, even comparing the 58X with other HD6 series headphones and rating aspects of them.

Also another thing, there are multiple materials that you can use, each one affects the sound in different ways, I used a generic foam, for me it lowered the HD58X bass, but this helped focus on the other sounds, I got used to the bass loss. Using the EQ settings at AutoEQ brought the bass back to good levels (In fact using the EQ at AutoEQ is in my opinion THE BEST MOD you can do for the 58X, it's a completely new headphone, if you don't mod it at least try the EQ, it's that good and not even trying to hype).

If you look for @Dawgfish posts here you can see that he used yet another material

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #4,016 of 4,845
@VRacer-111

I remember when you were in love with the Argons and they were on top, what happened? Also quick question, did the yaxi pads help control the Porta Pro bass? I like them but are way too bassy and like details, after some tweaks they are very good tho.

EDIT:
@caenlenfromOCN

Here
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd58x-jubilee-massdrop/

You need to download the full version of the review, it's a PDF in the link above. The guy also made a extensive review, even comparing the 58X with other HD6 series headphones and rating aspects of them.

Also another thing, there are multiple materials that you can use, each one affects the sound in different ways, I used a generic foam, for me it lowered the HD58X bass, but this helped focus on the other sounds, I got used to the bass loss. Using the EQ settings at AutoEQ brought the bass back to good levels (In fact using the EQ at AutoEQ is in my opinion THE BEST MOD you can do for the 58X, it's a completely new headphone, if you don't mod it at least try the EQ, it's that good and not even trying to hype).

If you look for @Dawgfish posts here you can see that he used yet another material

Well my HD58X closed back does require EQ to get it where I love it. I like the Argons, but their subbass simply can't compare to what the closedback modded HD58X can do... goes lower and hits WAY harder with cleaner/more separated and not as dark sound and more forward mids.

The Yaxi pads do help better control the bass and really make the mids stand out even more... more forward and still with that lovely full bodied sound and a more defined and extended treble. Separation and openess to the sound are also improved not to mention absolutely drastic improvement in comfort. The Yaxi pads are a win all around for the Porta Pro - not really a fan of the stock Porta Pro sound as it's too bloated/muddy for my taste.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #4,017 of 4,845
Closed back HD58X?!?! This abomination must be destroyed!!!

I'm totally kidding...but I'm curious.....with all the great closed-back options out there, what made you want to mod a HD58X to a closed back design. And if you don't mind, what is your experience with closed backs and how do your modded HD58X's compare?

Sep 2, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #4,019 of 4,845
What about amp/DAC combo?
Dragonfly Red?

I own the Red. Great little DAC amp for portable use. It also carries an amp, digitally controlled. It is not very powerful, but it’s enough to drive the HD58x or even the HD600/650/6xx models for portable usage ar moderate level, with a laptop computer or iPad/iPhone using the USB/lightning camera connector. The sound is very very good in my opinion. Great Sabre 9016 DAC. Great little amp. It will output at 2.1V at maximum volume and may also be used as a DAC only at maximum level, to output to a larger receiver/pre-amp/integrated amp/powered active speaker etc. But when used as an amp it will only output a very few mW, for moderate listening on most headphones. Therefore it is not a true alternative to an O2, Atom, Magni 3, Massdrop AAA THX 789 amp, Massdrop Alex Cavali CTH amp or any larger solid state or tube headphone amp. It may however be a good DAC to power one of these headphone amps with quality sound.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #4,020 of 4,845
I own the Red. Great little DAC amp for portable use. It also carries an amp, digitally controlled. It is not very powerful, but it’s enough to drive the HD58x or even the HD600/650/6xx models for portable usage ar moderate level, with a laptop computer or iPad/iPhone using the USB/lightning camera connector. The sound is very very good in my opinion. Great Sabre 9016 DAC. Great little amp. It will output at 2.1V at maximum volume and may also be used as a DAC only at maximum level, to output to a larger receiver/pre-amp/integrated amp/powered active speaker etc. But when used as an amp it will only output a very few mW, for moderate listening on most headphones. Therefore it is not a true alternative to an O2, Atom, Magni 3, Massdrop AAA THX 789 amp, Massdrop Alex Cavali CTH amp or any larger solid state or tube headphone amp. It may however be a good DAC to power one of these headphone amps with quality sound.
Any othe recomodation for amp/DAC?
Is it better to buy only amp and connect it to my HRT Music Streamer II, or to buy all in one amp/DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back