Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #2,326 of 4,845
I use the 58x paired to the Fulla 2 and it runs fine, but since you already have a DAC, why don't you buy an amp like the Magni?
That is my second option, however separate magnis for under 100 euros aren't than common.
By the way that was O2 option, because i found a local O2 deal for pocket money basically.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,327 of 4,845
Yeah, in the same boat, not feeling a full sized dac/amp to carry around with my laptop. Fulla seemed like a reasonable option to me. Or maybe will just get the ODAC/O2 option from Mayflower, yeah has power cord, but it's not massive.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,329 of 4,845
Received mine today, haven't been listening very long.

But so far I'm satisfied with the sound!

Comfort, not so sure. They sure are a lot tighter than my PC 360, but might get better over time. Pads are fine, but my ears touch inside. Is there anything to do about that? New pads? Or will I get used to it?

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,330 of 4,845
Is anyone here running HD58X w/ Fulla 2? I am not going to spend more than 150 euros on source and my Q1 doesn't have enough power for the Jubilees.
Was thinking either FiiO Q1 + JDS Labs O2 or Fulla 2.
Do you max out the volume controls on the source (computer) the Q1 is pugged into?
As you already have the Q1 (Q1 MK II?) and can use it as a DAC, might as we just buy a head amp (O2 or Magni).

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,331 of 4,845
Do you max out the volume controls on the source (computer) the Q1 is pugged into?
As you already have the Q1 (Q1 MK II?) and can use it as a DAC, might as we just buy a head amp (O2 or Magni).
Yeah, i have eveything maxed out. I have the original Q1 because it has like 2 times the power into SE.
I am currently working on Magni 2Uber deal ( i heard Magni2Uber is better than Magni3 and i don't need Magni3 power anyway).

Sep 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #2,332 of 4,845

This seems a good idea. I do have a Fulla 2 and 58X, and it drives them just fine. I prefer other amps with the 58X though - including Magni 3. But if you need USB power, Fulla 2 will work fine as long as your input is decently powered.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,334 of 4,845
Well, looking at the specs, the Q1 Mk2 outputs only slightly more power from its balanced jack than what the original Q1 outputs SE. And putting the numbers in a headphone power calculator app I have installed, it says that the Q1 is good for about 112db SPL with the 58x. Which seems about right and quite a bit louder than what I'd like to listen to day by day. I guess that it'll do fine until I can get something better.

I've used this little thing for quite a number of dumb, crazy stuff. From running 2 pairs of headphones simultaneously on it with Y a splitter at max volume (they were louder than some mediocre Logitech PC speakers, we weren't wearing them), to using it as a pre-amp on my father's PrimaLuna amp for fun, to practically turning my old AKG K514 MkII to small speakers, it's done it all admirably. Every single time I expected it to fail and blow up, but it persists. Sometimes I see it like Frodo, and I send it on a dumb suicide mission like Gandalf. And it succeeds every damn time, against all odds.

Hold on little Fiio... :p

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2,336 of 4,845
Yeah, i have eveything maxed out. I have the original Q1 because it has like 2 times the power into SE.
I am currently working on Magni 2Uber deal ( i heard Magni2Uber is better than Magni3 and i don't need Magni3 power anyway).
While I don't have a Q1 I do have any old X1 which has about 1/3 the output power of the Q1 and it can still drive my HD58X to my listening level (55-75dB - on the lower side) at about 65-70 on the volume scale (0-100) and will reach 85dB at about 85 on the volume scale which is about as loud as you'd want to listen since above 85dB is usually were its causing damage to your hearing over prolonged periods.

I'd suggest getting an app (if you have a smart phone) to measure the level you are listening at since using positions on a amp are useless to anyone else just remember that the mic of most phones do not do the full frequency of sound but it will give a reading that is pretty close and good enough for just checking what levels you are listening at. This is what I've been using and its within a 2-3 dB of what a professional meter reads:
SPL-measurement-2.jpg
I use the memory foam to keep outside noises from affecting the readings

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #2,338 of 4,845
I just realized these do scale (I had to double check to be sure). Balanced on my Bryston is so different from single-ended and my little Shanling M0. These transducers respond very well.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #2,340 of 4,845
I just received mine and first impressions are great. I have to admit that they are way closer to my modded MSR7 than I'd hoped, both in sound signature and quality, but that just speaks volumes about how great the MSR7 can be and it's not something bad about the 58x. I just hoped they'd be a bit more different. The most prominent difference is that the 58x comparatively lacks a bit in treble while the MSR7 lack a bit in the mids, but the difference isn't huge in either case. Bass is very similar too. The MSR7 is more lively sounding and even a bit wider, but the soundstage of the 58x, however limited, sounds more natural, probably due to them being open. Overall I'm impressed by these, but I've heard them only briefly and more details will have to wait for a few days. I gotta break them in and listen more.

Some quick observations. They are smaller than I thought! I always had this impression that the HD6 line was larger. Nope, they aren't really bigger than their 5 series headphones. Also, they aren't metal and leather like the MSR7 is mainly, but man do they feel just as solid. The clamp is JUST right for me too. Great fit. Gonna test them out in gaming and movies later.

Also, side note. The Q1 handles them beautifully. @RandomDave are you sure you were running them on high gain? I mean, I put them on in a loud city bus on my way home and by the time I turned the pot to 6 I couldn't hear anything else from the outside and was getting weird looks from the other passengers. Or maybe your music is too quiet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back